RN Aircraft Carriers: Centaur Class 1953

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Aircraft Carriers: Centaur Class 1953

Unread post by Pelican »

A nice article containing many photos

Historic Indian Carrier Set To Be Scrapped After 58 Years Of Service With Two Navies
The long history of INS Viraat, formerly HMS Hermes, included combat service in the Falklands War.
BY THOMAS NEWDICK OCTOBER 1, 2020

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 ... Rn8mViVWks
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HERMES AND VICTORIOUS AT ADEN IN 1967
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HERMES

If interested in my book email me your address george_mcdonald@hotmail.co.uk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Centaur Class Light Fleet Carrier HMS Hermes pictured c1965.
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

the meeting of Hermes and Victorious at Aden is covered in the "Carrier Command" chapter of Lewin of Greenwich, it should be in the thread about books but I will try to post it later for those who haven't seen it.
timlewin

On arrival off Aden on 6 May, therefore, the captain of the Hermes found himself
involved in a good deal of intensive briefing on a fast-moving situation. The British High
Commissioner was Sir Humphrey Trevelyan, the joint Commander in Chief Middle East Admiral
Sir Michael LeFanu, the Land Force Commander Lieutenant-General Sir Philip Tower and the
Air Officer Commanding Air Vice Marshal Andrew Humphrey. This was an exceptionally able
and effective team and Lewin, who already knew both LeFanu and Humphrey, was quickly able
to establish good working relations with them all.
The situation was also a busy one on the water. The modernised carrier Victorious was
already present, with a number of destroyers and frigates, and the opportunity was taken to
mount an exercise between the two forces under the control of the Flag Officer Second in
Command Far East Fleet, Rear Admiral Edward Ashmore. But the main business was twofold:
support of the forces up-country, where the Royal Air Force was fully stretched in its efforts to
contain rebels in the Radfan and surrounding areas, and demonstrations of power to give
confidence to those elements of the local leadership who wished to support the constitutional
position.
Both these requirements were fully met over the next two weeks. Tribute was
generously paid by LeFanu in a signal to the Ministry of Defence on 19 May, outlining the
achievements of Victorious and Hermes during that time: over 200 sorties up-country including
Sector reconnaissance, Border Air Defence Patrols, Air Defence Exercises, live firing exercises
controlled by Forward Air Controllers, Airborne Early Warning trials and exercises, with in
addition two highly impressive demonstration operations and fly-pasts on 12 and 17 May.
timlewin

the full story with a bunch of photos at the end;

tim
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

As said before , Third Commission uner TTL will always beremembered and I remember the Aden bit very well, especially the channel we scooped out between Aden - Gan - and Singapore .

Those sorties over Aden were something to watch , in particular the full lift to show strength .
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Leander Class ASW Frigate HMS Argonaut pictured with Centaur Class Light Fleet Commando Carrier HMS Albion,conducting an underway replenishment and Vertrep with Tide Class Replenishment Oiler RFA Tideflow in 1971.
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

Here is CENTAUR gassing up....... ;) DFO
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”