RN Aircraft Carriers: Centaur Class 1953

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Aircraft Carriers: Centaur Class 1953

Unread post by Pelican »

Ancre Somme Association - ON FACEBOOK

On 19th May 1982, the Special Air Service Regiment suffered a tragic loss when a Sea King helecopter crashed while cross-decking troops from HMS Hermes to HMS Intrepid during the Falklands conflict.
The Sea King had taken off from H.M.S. Hermes at dusk. The Aircraft was slightly over loaded but because it was short fight the pilot reduced his fuel load to lighten the helicopter.
At 300 ft the Sea King started it's decent towards H.M.S. Intrepid. those on board heard a thump, then another from the engine above them. The Sea King dipped once then dived . Within four seconds it hit the water. Some men were killed instantly and other knocked unconscious in the initial impact. Amazingly 9 men managed to scramble out of the open side door before the helicopter slipped below the waves. They were the only survivors.
Rescuers found bird feathers floating on the surface were the helicopter had impacted the water. It is thought that the Sea King was the victim of a bird strike. One theory is at the Sea King was hit by a Black Browed Albatross which has a 8 ft wing span. The SAS lost 18 men on this night. The regiment had not lost so many men at one tine since the end of the second world war. The accident also killed a member of the Royal Signals, Fleet Air Arm and the only RAF casualty of the war.
ROLL OF HONOUR:
A/CPL Raymond Ernest ARMSTRONG
A/SGT John Leslie ARTHY
A/WO1 Malcolm ATKINSON
A/CPL William John BEGLEY
A/SGT Paul Alan BUNKER
A/CPL Robert Allan BURNS
SGT Philip Preston CURRASS QGM
A/SGT Sidney Albert Ivor DAVIDSON
WOll Lawrence GALLAGHER BEM
A/SGT William Clark HATTON QGM
A/SGT William John HUGHES
A/SGT Philip JONES
L/CPL Paul Neville LIGHTFOOT
A/CPL Michael Vincent McHUGH
A/CPL John NEWTON
A/WOll Patrick O'CONNOR
CPL Stephen John SYKES
CPL Edward Thomas WALPOLE
Cpl Michael David LOVE DSM (Fleet Air Arm)
CPL Douglas Frank McCORMACK (Royal Signals)
FLT LT Garth Walter HAWKINS (RAF)
Today we remember them.
John 15:13
β€œπ”Šπ”―π”’π”žπ”±π”’π”― 𝔩𝔬𝔳𝔒 π”₯π”žπ”±π”₯ 𝔫𝔬 π”ͺπ”žπ”« 𝔱π”₯π”žπ”« 𝔱π”₯𝔦𝔰, 𝔱π”₯π”žπ”± π”ž π”ͺπ”žπ”« π”©π”žπ”Ά 𝔑𝔬𝔴𝔫 π”₯𝔦𝔰 𝔩𝔦𝔣𝔒 𝔣𝔬𝔯 π”₯𝔦𝔰 𝔣𝔯𝔦𝔒𝔫𝔑𝔰”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

The 'Grey Ghost of the Borneo Coast'....Centaur Class Light Fleet Carrier HMS Albion pictured in the mid 1950's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

HMS Hermes pictured on her return to Portsmouth from the South Atlantic after the Falklands War, July 30th 1982.
Brian James

Centaur Class, Commando Carrier HMS Albion (The old grey ghost of the Borneo Coast), pictured as she berths at Rotterdam on June 26th 1972.
Brian James

Centaur Class Light Fleet Carrier HMS Hermes pictured c1967.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Albion leaving Portsmouth for Malta in July 1958.

ALBION EN-ROUTE TO MALTA JULY 1958.jpg
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Another view of Albion in The Solent enroute to Malta in 1958

Jim

hms albion 1958[1].jpg
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

BULWARK - No details.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

BULWARK - See attached.
Brian James

Falklands War veteran, Modified Centaur Class Carrier HMS Hermes pictured in 1982.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to β€œRoyal Navy”