Pellew ..langoustier d Audierne

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
jbryce1437

Re: Pellew ..langoustier d Audierne

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Ivor, I am pleased for you that you have completed her ready for her float test. I hope that goes well, when the time arises.
No doubt that you will be searching for something else to get your teeth into. Well done again.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

jbryce1437 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:38 pm Ivor, I am pleased for you that you have completed her ready for her float test. I hope that goes well, when the time arises.
No doubt that you will be searching for something else to get your teeth into. Well done again.

Jim
Thank you Jim ,As far as I am aware the sails need configuring and with so many ropes to tie off I am awaiting advice from a member who whilst willing to help is under the same lockdown as me so I will need to be patient :(

As for next item ......well thats unlikely as I have said during this build whilst I have enjoyed this build most of all , from a challenge point of view , it has made me realise just how bad my dexterity has sunk to and small delicate items are a real challenge to manipulate and handle.
so perhaps its time to pack it in or at least stop building and concentrate on repairs alone ....we will see ...
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
ivorthediver

ivorthediver wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:51 am
jbryce1437 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:38 pm Ivor, I am pleased for you that you have completed her ready for her float test. I hope that goes well, when the time arises.

Jim
Thank you Jim ,As far as I am aware the sails need configuring and with so many ropes to tie off I am awaiting advice from a member who whilst willing to help is under the same lockdown as me so I will need to be patient :(

As for next item ......well thats unlikely as I have said during this build whilst I have enjoyed this build most of all , from a challenge point of view , it has made me realise just how bad my dexterity has sunk to and small delicate items are a real challenge to manipulate and handle.
so perhaps its time to pack it in or at least stop building and concentrate on repairs alone ....we will see ...
p.s. I now know how our old Chief Tel must feel with his Royal yacht build :x
ivorthediver

Well basin trails are now creeping nearer....... only a few week- ends more to go before she gets her bottom wet :)

Decided to fit a detachable drop keel in the form of a shaped 2mm brass plate with a shaped lead weight fitted to it , and hoping that she will avoid the weed in the water by shaping the blade and avoiding catch points which could foul the keel .

Toyed with the thought of fitting a 60mm practice AA shell casing but apart from causing panic it could foul on weeds .......so shelved that idea :lol:

Been going over the rigging yet again just to make sure it all functions correctly and won't foul and cause delays at the water side :roll:
jbryce1437

Good luck with the float out Ivor - keep the tug handy ;-)

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Well as you can see been busy again today tying up lose ends for the maiden voyage coming up and "roughed" up a drop keel for the " Pellew "

She weighed in at 2 1/4 lbs and will fit beneath the metal box section [already fitted ] to the original wooden keel and was attached with SS screws up into the wooden keel then epoxied and painted ready to receive this additional keel .

The "lead" was one of my old [now redundant] curved lead weights fitted to my dive belt , which I cut off the belt fitting and bolted it through into the brass sheet 200mm deep 1.5mm thick and angled the front edge so as to offer minimum resistance along with the curved base profile

This additional keel will be held in place by pins retained by R clips , and the purpose was " ease of transport " as well as stability in higher winds which might swamp the vessel as she rolls ....and the weighted keel will act as a pendulum effect and retain her upright position in the water as she travels forward .....[hopefully ]

I will paint it matt black to match the other bottom hull soon and as far as I'm aware now thats everything done and just need my friend at the club to take it around the lake to trim her out then allow me to have a go at sailing under his supervision and see if it was all a waist of time and money ......
The effort in taking over an unknown problem was the bit I revel in if I'm truthful.... but I would hope that all my hard work was not in vain and she fulfils my journey of knowledge and getting to grips with a period sailing vessel ....so this could be an eye opener just as easily as a disaster and put me in my place......... :( time will tell
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

And now †he finished article prior to maiden voyage ,but sails not fully up as very windy today but you get the general idea and can see the Keel addition in place :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jbryce1437

Looks great Ivor. I hope you have trained the crew in sailing methods.

Jim
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Well today was the day when she got her keel wet :D

Glad I fitted the additional keel as it worked a treat despite my worries , and although there was practically no wind to speak of , she performed well and identified a few minor items needing further attention .......so not quite finished yet it seems .

One of the issues was the rudder which you will recall I have never been happy with , so a larger one will be fitted over the weekend ..... ;)

The other was ignorance of sailing boats on my part , as I fully rigged the model, and arrived with the sails all neatly furled [ not noticing that previously most modellers brought their model and dropped it in the water ready to race whoever is nearest] , so once all the sails were set .....I had yards of rigging laying everywhere ........so lessen learned there......... and she will be re rigged ready to take on all comers :evil:

As you know I fitted a motor in her [and had the last laugh ] as I hauled ars....... out into the middle of the lake and then drifted back to the bank on a controlled approach just to annoy them that we're trying to catch the little wind there was ;)
jbryce1437

Well done Ivor, pleased the maiden voyage went well. Hope your snagging list is not too long.

Jim
Retired since 2002
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”