Pellew ..langoustier d Audierne

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
DaveH

Re: Pellew ..langoustier d Audierne

Unread post by DaveH »

Hi Ivor , Looks like things are coming together . Iposted the photos of the sailarm in situ but for some reason it came back to me , so I reposted it yesterday and hope it will be of some use . Meeanwhile I am still rummaging .
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Thanks Dave , very grateful and await with interest .

Went through the instructions and compared it with "As Built " and he has made a right pigs ear of the bulwark structure in that where the scuppers will end up would result in water cascading down inside the hull as the decking will be sitting to the wrong sections :evil:

To overcome this I will have to scribe very small sections of wood as infill between the vertical formers / and the edge of the inwales and shear planks before I lay the deck , otherwise as soon as she reacts to the helm the " galley will be put out " so to speak

Had I looked and noticed earlier I would have sussed it out..... but was pre occupied with resolving the "Machinery " imperfections :roll:
she is fitted with three sets of scuppers on each side and although shallow they are set at approx 3" centres and had I fitted the deck and not noticed........ the wash water on the deck would drain down the gap.

I am very surprised to put it mildly , as he was reputed to be a senior member prior to me joining the club in the late nineties but not of sailboats it seems , and I suspect that having built this plank model... through the towel in..... and returned to other motorised vessels [ which having seen the work he put into it I can understand , having said that he did a cracking job of the hull up to this point and admire the work done ] still perhaps he became distracted ;)

I must say I am enjoying working with wood as against plastic , and I am really getting absorbed in it .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
ivorthediver

Came today Thanks Dave , and very useful dear Sir.

Managed to fit the infill sections today and hope to start the deck hatches soon .

Take care stay safe and regards to Betty and your family

Warm regards Ivor and Karen ....
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

My pleasure mate .
ivorthediver

Having had the opportunity to go through all that came with the hull now it is obvious that much of the accessories have been used elsewhere by the previous owner , which explained by the fact that most of the "Sachet" packs contained within the kit were opened when the contents were not needed for the works in hand at that point :(

I have been waiting for additional parts from model suppliers , but there is a general shortage of supplies due in part to covid and partly due to additional time on modellers hands [guilty as charged ] ;) and their accelerated progress in their build programmes and or replacing misplaced items needed to complete their project .

In my defence on this project it being sail orientated ....a whole new learning curve and identification of name culture :? which curiously enough was the reason I joined the original forum so that an item could not only be identified but also its purpose on the vessel ....which educated me in spadefuls :)

Looked at the rigging section and just rolled my eyes as its like talking a whole new language :-

Bulwark bitts, belaying pins, pin racks , stern bench and cleats ,mast gallows ,halyards, roller reefing gear ,Gaff Booms,Bridle Spars , Jib Traveler , Bobstays, upper Dead eyes, lower dead eyes , Shrouds , backstays, Main halyard , back halyard, Gaff Bridle , Bolt ropes ..........on and on .......

Improvisation is fine , when you know what your trying to build ......and the final straw was when you found out that the dear wife will have to be bribed into making me a set of sails for the model :o

Still having said that its been very absorbing learning a new skill and implementing those new found skills [always assuming you only have to do it once and not redo it all again..... if you cock it up .]
ivorthediver

Off up to the club lake tomorrow to chat to other sail boat modellers who may be able to help me with some issues I am still having with the lack of rudder control before I start laying deck planking .

I have now had time to check out the bits missing and have made a start today in the main mast fittings of which there are loads .

I have made a start on the bridle that the main boom rests on which is bolted to the main mast base , and once thats done I will attempt making the goose neck fitting which is fitted into the end of the main boom , and then the ten different size collars with different eyes fitted to either support blocks or booms ending up with a choice of finials at the top , then on to the main boom end caps , the Gaff end caps , then the bowsprit end caps .
This has served me well in that over the years odd bits of brass have accumulated along with tube , plate and rod so it will end up looking like a brass Christmas tree , and I am so glad I invested in a soldering station which has a very high temperature range and allows me to silver solder these items and the experience gained has helped me gain experience and confidence on route . :oops:

I am hopeing the lady of the house can sew the sails [which must be one of the few things he didn't plunder from the kit] and I have traced out the details from the plan's and put on my best "Hopeless Male" look , but she said I needn't have bothered as it comes naturally :roll:

It is a pleasure [ if mildly irritating at my lack of knowledge] to build and I can now understand the draw these vessels have on modellers and the challenge they present to modellers .
You would think that Scratch built models, which most of mine were previously , would present the biggest hurdles , but a model in a foreign language of a new style / mode of motivation is much harder it seems :roll:
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Hope you got some good advice Ivor. You sound a bit like me - never throw anything out, it might come in handy, and it usually does.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Yes indeed I did Jim .

They are a great bunch collectively , and for the most part willing to help and pass on their hard earned advice to others .

Rudder control now fully recovered after stripping out the entire steerage installation and refitting paying attention to areas where the previous modellers knowledge ran out and mine was not looking for faults like oval shafts in round holes hampered by the belief that surely no one would do that ..........oh yes they would !
Still I should have learnt by now and should have checked , but all cleared and lubricated and snug fit now , and servo moved closer and dual control rods installed to ensure correct equal sided pressure applied .
It was finished today and beefed up some areas worked on to ensure of no return to this issue :roll:

The deck in this area will be slightly higher to accommodate these re- works but nothing that will look out of kilter when finished Jim . ;)

I was advised NOT to just lay the decking on the deck beams as water is likely to percolate down the joints , which led to the introduction of 1.5 mm ultra thin birch ply fitted and glued into place with a retarded cure epoxy resin glue which once cured and in place will have the planked decking fitted on top .

this is slowly pushing up the cost as the epoxy in this format is made in USA and was told it was not expensive .......which dependant on your position in life is ....relative to..... I suppose

The glue in retarded cure is around £11 but by the time is shipped from the states , import duty and carriage and VAT are added ends up three times that price !
Needless to say that will not be a repeat purchase :oops: .

So the next time I see a scenic view of a sailing boat gliding over the water risking all to reverse its tack and fight the elements back to its owner I will be more thoughtful of the money and labour that went into its creation :(

I ordered a razor saw on amazon as mine have seen better days and I found a super version fine set saw made in Germany [ who's model boat fraternity are streets ahead of us [ or should that be oceans ?] so ordered it and it arrived today and reminded me of how useful tree feeling probably still is in Germany !
Yes it is a very nice product but three times the size of the previous one I owned ! .............

So once the materials are here that will be the next step and hurdle to jump. :(
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Sounds like great progress Ivor, well done.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

yes a happy build Jim and learning as I go along [ made the goose neck fitting today] will clean it up tomorrow and paint it the same as the original was , then the mast brackets which were also painted [ green for some weird reason :?: ]and slowly make my way through all the mast bracketry then move on to the end caps [4].......ahhhh busy bee .....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”