Pellew ..langoustier d Audierne

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
ivorthediver

Pellew ..langoustier d Audierne

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Right now I have your attention .....the plot so far ....

Those of you who know me or of me will think this a strange choice of vessel to be involved in .....quite rightly .....its of French origin ......it has no Naval rating .........and its not carrying immigrants across the channel ;)

As my back deteriorates and my age is gaining on my dexterity I had thought perhaps it would be prudent to venture into a sailing vessel and migrate to Cowes and sip pink Gins .....yea Right ....here ends the fairy storey :roll:

I have seen a couple of very nice well built sailing craft and envied both the lines and the skill to sail them , and thought how nice it might be to build one of the planked / clinker [?] boats which always appear so graceful when parting the water silently .

I know that it is unlikely to end well if I attempt to construct one of these craft with the minute fine line detail using my "side of bacon" type hands to execute such a venture , so imagine my delight when I was told by a fellow modeller of a partly constructed sloop which was for sale at a reasonable price requiring [ lets be kind for a minute] above average modelling skills to get it to a point where it could get to the water :oops:

So I now own this vessel with various bits of twig's adorned in cloth and twine ......
with little pulleys and rigging all over the place .

I attach a photo of the original shown in Marine Modelling circa 1999 which along with the part built hull has remained untouched since purchased by the recently deceased former owner for a considerable number of years gaining dust it would seam ..... :(

so I will let you know how I get on with her once the OPV HMS Cambs is completed .......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
DaveH

Re: Pellew ..langoustier d Audierne

Unread post by DaveH »

All power to you Ivor ......... I built a "WEE NIP" about seven years ago from scratch and a plan . A pretty basic design with no frills other than it's racing ability . Sails well but I haven't been on the water this year . Hoping for better in the New Year to stimulate the enthusiasm to sail again .

Good luck mate
ivorthediver

Thanks Dave , nice to hear from you dear Sir , trust all is well now with your Son now and Betty is Keeping you in trim .

The model is a 1/20 scale model of a Brittany French fishing boat circa 1930's
Hull length .75m
Beam. .25m

As you can see she has four sails , and a motor [ which is the only way I would attempt to build a sailing boat ] and 43 blocks in the rigging ........so no quick fix here mate .........never been involved with rigging blocks and I note that there are four differing types and yards of rigging to learn about both the terms and description and application :o :o

Ahhhh by the way did I mention that all the instructions are in FRENCH :evil: so this could prove interesting as I know "wee" and "non" "Rouge" ;) ohhh and au revoir [ even my computer hates French as it keeps underlining it in RED .
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Ahh mon ami , Tu est un magnifique modellier , mon francais est petite . Bon Chance mate
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

For sale or for sail? :-)
Good luck with that Ivor, you must be running out of storage room at home now, Chatham dockyard has some empty sheds.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

DaveH wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:21 pm Ahh mon ami , Tu est un magnifique modellier , mon francais est petite . Bon Chance mate
Weee you take a de peas :?:
ivorthediver

jbryce1437 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:07 pm For sale or for sail? :-)
Good luck with that Ivor, you must be running out of storage room at home now, Chatham dockyard has some empty sheds.

Jim
shush Jim......... thats a sore point mate .........Karen has bought. - and wrapped my Christmas present... which smells of paraffin and is the size of a box of matches and rattles when you shake it :idea:
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

ivorthediver wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:19 pm
jbryce1437 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:07 pm For sale or for sail? :-)

Jim
shush Jim......... thats a sore point mate .........Karen has bought. - and wrapped my Christmas present... which smells of paraffin and is the size of a box of matches and rattles when you shake it :idea:
Hope it hasn't got blue touch paper sticking out from it.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

ivorthediver wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:13 pm
DaveH wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:21 pm Ahh mon ami , Tu est un magnifique modellier , mon francais est petite . Bon Chance mate
Weee you take a de peas :?:
Mais non mon ami . je regardez vous le modellier magnifique .

Don't have a lost of french mate but it shows but it shows that at school if they flung enuff dung at the wall some of it had to stick .

As an aside paint that fence and perhaps the Shoreham Girl will let you spread your sails all over the dining room table 8-) 8-) :D
ivorthediver

Curiously enough Dave I can speak a little German , a fair bit of Welsh [of which there are very close similarities ] souf Lunden , and enormous amounts of bad language in numerous dialects in lots of colloquial intonations , however I do not retain it until in their presence at which point it seeps out until .....just like a parrot ....I'm off again :oops:

Karen often laugh's at me mimicking bad French and I have two members of family living in the wine regions but she declines suggestions of going over to visit them as she is convinced that I would end up in prison for extracting the urine out of "men sewers "

This model 's challenge I fear will be shoe horning modern day electronics beneath a sealed deck :o
however its at that point that presents itself now and when my minds in gear I will make a start , but I have to admit it is a wonderful looking vessel which I will name ofter Admiral" Pellew" out of respect for our seafaring history and his distaste of the French along with "Horatio Hornblower" who was a work of Fiction... however ......God talk about teaching how to suck eggs :oops:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”