Pellew ..langoustier d Audierne

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
ivorthediver

Re: Pellew ..langoustier d Audierne

Unread post by ivorthediver »

"I'll let you know when its cured ".......well its finally got there... just...:roll:

Whilst awaiting this event I made up some Lobster traps and deck baskets for the "catch" when It finally goes out on its maiden voyage

Meanwhile today was spent painting the inner face of the bulwarks and the light blue "flash" section of the hull sides, and the deck furniture carcass.

Then it was a case of constructing and fitting the rigging "Deadeyes" on the flanks of the hull [ quite challenging trying to hold a walnut deadeye 7mm across and 2mm thick and wrapping a brass rod around it and form a fitting to connect it to the top of the bulwarks and soldering it tight enough to retain it in place in a brass strap which is bolted to the hull sides .

A spare "Crew" set have been refurbed and repainted in appropriate colours for future use as and when I get that far .
So slight progress in some areas , delays in others , but progress none the less ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Pleased that she is progressing towards the sailing season.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Here is the state of play today Jim , and loads to do yet but thought it time I showed you her to compare with the hulk I took over , and whilst there is a huge amount to do to get her ready for sailing she is slowly creeping nearer the waters edge ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jbryce1437

What a splendid looking vessel Ivor, you should be proud of you good work. The sea beckons ;-)

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Thank you Jim for such a charitable remark .
She was collected by me last autumn [at the end of Sept actually ] and much work has been undertaken before I could even look at correcting the obvious abuse the kit had suffered since she was started in 1998 and then left for other smaller, easier craft until the owner died last year .

I swore I would never have a sailing boat having spent so much time recovering them for others and qualified that by saying that she would have to have an auxiliary motor to bring her back to the shoreline , rather than crashing through the lakes bank's undergrowth...... trying to recover her

Needless to say that although she diid have a very basic auxiliary motor fitted , that has been swopped for a more robust set up .
ivorthediver

I have spent the last week trying to understand the standing rigging configuration and terminology and making educated guesses at what goes where and how it works and how its stowed when not in use when sailing . :roll:

You would not believe how many times I have rigged block's/ de-rigged/ re-rigged some items when it became clearer as to how it seemingly works :oops:

When I collected the model there were odds and ends in another box which the relations asked me to remove , some of which were belaying pins which once I identified thought may belong to the kit , but as they are not in scale nor the right number were put aside , but today I needed some to help in keeping the myriad of ropes in some semblance of order and whilst looking for cocktail sticks which failed to match up to the task I came across a box of old small pop rivets which once trimmed to the correct length..... will do nicely :idea: when painted the correct colour of course ;) so next job will be to paint all 24 of them dark brown ......

Now......... who was it once said that "necessity was the mother of invention" :D
jbryce1437

Well done Ivor, another ingenious invention - don't forget to send it to the Patent Office.

Jim
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Well this rigging lark is proceeding [ hope you can't spot any howling errors Jim ]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jbryce1437

That looks brilliant Ivor, not a granny knot in sight. Well done, great work.

Jim
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Well today was both a day I was looking forward to and also a day I wished to avoid .:-

Today I finished fitting the rigging and the fitting of the sails having recently completed for them .[and the first time I have ever made them ] :)

On the other side of the coin it brings the boat construction of this model [ probably one of the best and most enjoyable to date ] to its conclusion . :(

It remains to see if she is fit for purpose as I am under the same restrictions as everyone else and unable to go to our lakeside sailing venue to try them out , so its all a frustrating waiting game now :(

If it wasn't so bloody cold I would take a picky of her fully rigged but the weather isn't compatible .............
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”