Pellew ..langoustier d Audierne

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
ivorthediver

Re: Pellew ..langoustier d Audierne

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well whilst awaiting the resin from across the pond I decided to make a start on the multitude of fixtures and fittings which are part of the sail mechanics of which I had no previous knowledge of ,

By way of illustration this vessel has 16 cleats [ the bit you wrap rigging around to secure them ?.. which are apparently called by those over in France " Bitte a fuss inclines sans chaumard " ......why use one word when there are hundreds to chose from :roll: ] and need to be working and sturdy .

Yes I could have made them out of gash offcuts , or plastic which whilst looking pretty would be unlikely to take any strain , so what do you use ?

They are about 10mm long and need to be glued and pinned in place so when rigging is tied off they stay put , so I used some brass rod and placed in on my modelling anvil and using a pin hammer head reversed and a claw hammer to strike the upturned hammer in the centre of the section and belted it hard which gave a flattened centre which I drilled through and when glued with epoxy resin and pinning it where required .... so. .you have your miniature cleat .

Just one of the many problems to overcome
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Well done Ivor, why buy when you can make your own. You get more satisfaction that way.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Your not wrong there Jim , just makes it a tad longer to do when you sport big hands with arthritic wrists , but no ones perfect eh .....
ivorthediver

Well it would seem that the prop shaft saga continues in the hull purchased by me in a partly completed form .:oops:

I have spent the last few days trying to correct a defect that persists in the linkage , so far I have repositioned the servo nearer the rudder post , replaced the servo linkage for double ended ball and socket links and remade the central pivot with a grub screw to link on the central rudder shaft flattened surface , still with me ?

Well I found that the action of the servo gear train was lopsided due to a variance between the outer rudder casing [ made of aluminium ] and the shaft made of S/S both of which are of differing size [ off 1.5mm] and NOT bushed , which pulls the upper exposed section of this shaft offset when actioned which in turn is dislodging the fitted casing from the hull carcass and if left and ignored will allow water ingress to seep in, and eventually destroy the rudder as its ripped out of the stern by the H/D servo which is rated with a 12 Kg torque . :roll:

So now I have striped out these dissimilar and incompatible units and ordered purpose made custom fittings which when actioned by the servo will not slop around and pull straight on the bronze bearings and remain in alignment throughout the sequence [ baring in mind the rudder is offset to the servo at 35 degree downward slope beneath the model .

I will try to remember to take a photo of it once installed and it may illustrate the problem better to you as this configuration is unlike the normal operation where the rudder is at 90 degree to the servo and a basic configuration ;)
jbryce1437

Well done Ivor in identifying the problem, fine margins can make a lot of difference. More expense though :-(

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Thanks Jim , it feels like I'm pushing a rock up hill , and then other times [ less than I'd like I hasten to add] things just click and I wonder why I worried .
ivorthediver

Well the rudder is all installed now and the new rudder made and fitted to , so I hope thats the end of that Saga !

About to finalise the deck layout and TREBLE checking all thats beneath the decks to ensure I don't need to rip it open again :evil:

I have been pondering the issues of a false keel which would enable me to rig the gaff sail and not worry about swamping the vessel in higher winds [ often forgotten by enthusiastic modellers as they sail their scale yachts in conditions similar in actual scale to a typhoon and wonder why it sinks rather than take in their sail :roll: .

To enable me to do this I have removed the recommended amount of lead ballast and fitted a metal box section 230mmx25x25 beneath the bottom of the wooden keel with epoxy and brass screws .

Once this has cured and been painted I will fit a detachable false knife keel with a lead bulb at its
base to act as a pendulum whilst sailing and offer a fulcrum effect in high wind situations

Lets face it I have the time to do it now with everything in lockdown :roll:

I bought a new tool today which I should have done a long time ago and thats an electric file which is like a miniature belt sander 13mm width .
So today I spent the afternoon rounding off all the rigging blocks I had to make as you can alter the angle , speed , and grade of the grit belt to safely form all the angles and smooth them down .
I did want to buy a bench mounted one but the ones bought from AMAZing had to be returned defective repeatedly but this hand held version is easy to use and handle :P
jbryce1437

Well done Ivor, the electric file sounds amazing. As you say, plenty of time for everything now we are back in lockdown.

Jim
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Yes I wish I had bought one years ago Jim , so easy to use even with Arthritic hands like mine and and gives a far better Finnish .
Nearly dropped it when the intercepting TYPHON chasing the unidentified German private plane flew over head so fast we had a sonic boom today :o

Fitted the false keel ready for the sailing periods ahead , and fitted the ply deck to the installed formers over the last few days and finally got around to laying the timber deck planks on her today, but not a five minute job to get all the angles and cuts correct and getting the boards to follow the multiplicity of angles and twists and turns [unlike Plasticard and fibreglass ] but a refreshing change of pace...... and skills to re-visit and master ;)

Really enjoying this model as its so fulfilling and really exercises the brain and nice to get out all the old carpentry tools , hone their edges [ and mine come to think of it ] and apply them over again..... well worth the extra bandages and plasters Karen bought prior to going back in time and temperament to adjust .... :roll:

Trying to get to a point where the deck planking is completed prior to the Funeral on Friday, as Karen will need my support more than the model will .
ivorthediver

OK deck on now but in need of sanding and many coats of Varnish .

You may recall earlier I mentioned that the deck and bulwark framework had not been constructed according to the construction format and to complicate things even more what had been fitted out of sequence was painted in the wrong type of paint [ emulsion ] so all in all a right pigs ear !

Having tried to correct these issues I have now had to introduce an epoxy resin filler to form a waterproof belt at the edge of the decking / bulwark joint , which was applied by syringe to form a water "valley" for removal of flood water off the deck and out via the scuppers formed in the sides of the deck .

This is in a thinned state and will need to be "Dried out" slowly to cure and form a bond / seal where its needed most :(

I'll let you know when its " cured " hopefully . ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”