The Overall Picture

Add your posts about the Russian Navy in this section
ivorthediver

Re: The Overall Picture

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Emmmm where is this bankrupt Soviet navy the media were bleating about then , they like our eastern friends certainly have no hesitation in committing to a bigger and more versatile Fleet eh Dennis ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

designeraccd wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:50 pm The ADM. GORSHKOV has been undergoing tests and drills for years, but was finally taken into their Fleet not to long ago. Other units of the class are being built. At least one, ADM. KASTONOV, is in the water as well. DFO
TU D, they seem to be roughly following our designs - e.g. T45s?
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

No matter which Navy, all seem to now follow the same general "pattern". I wonder about "tin cans" with little to no protective "armor" and almost all weapons concentrated forward with 1 or 2 helos taking up the stern, but "styled" to look stealthy.................? :o DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

designeraccd wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:38 am No matter which Navy, all seem to now follow the same general "pattern". I wonder about "tin cans" with little to no protective "armor" and almost all weapons concentrated forward with 1 or 2 helos taking up the stern, but "styled" to look stealthy.................? :o DFO
Quite agree. QEC have no armour belt due cost. We learnt the hard way in WW II when one of the aft mountings of the traditional 2 forward and 2 aft was replaced by chicago pianos etc. after the enemy quickly spotted it was easy to attack from the rear. AA these days seems to rely on missiles but you can only carry a limited number then what?
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

I can only concur with that thought David , but no one seems to have thought of that yet , more a case of "don't touch me I Bite" .....than.... " if I come your way its curtains for you " survivability , but then :idea: there is the new American one,....... that you can't afford the ammo for :o , but know doubt they have an even deadlier planet Baldrick ;)
designeraccd

Well....."AA these days seems to rely on missiles but you can only carry a limited number then what?"; I'd submit one had best be a very good swimmer! It would seem the combat lessons of WW2 have been discarded. :(

The Russians are $pending their money on smaller ships and subs that their cash strapped economy can afford. Given their 4 divided Fleets, this approach would seem quite logical. Supposedly they can't even afford to modernize the flagship of the BSF, the elderly cg SLAVA. Maybe we could $ell them some fine, barely used, hi-speed LC$s??? DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Well food for thought Dennis , and sadly the outcome will only be known after yet more conflict :(
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Does not look like work has ceased on 'ol' smokey',RFS Admiral Kuznetsov,still under refit at the 35th Repair Plant at Murmansk,April 12th 2019.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Demolition of the drydock partition,pictured underway at the Ship Repair Factory No 35 at Murmansk,November 22nd 2019.
designeraccd

The old girl has finally been retired, but supposedly will be preserved as a Museum ship......... :D DFO
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Russian Navy”