The Overall Picture

Add your posts about the Russian Navy in this section
Pelican

Re: The Overall Picture

Unread post by Pelican »

Russia’s P-750B Small Attack Submarine Design By Malakhit Design Bureau – Part 2

The United Shipbuilding Corporation displayed at Army-2020 forum a scale model of the new Serval-class P-750B submarine, the Independent Military Review writes.

Story by TASS Russian news agency

P-750B is a small displacement multirole submarine for coastal operations. The main weapons include torpedo and cruise missile launchers. The sub will interact with unmanned underwater craft.

The innovative solutions include replaceable modular payload: weapons, self-defense means, groups of underwater propulsion means and unmanned vehicles. The payload will be carried outside the solid hull. The concept opens new capabilities, as the payload will change before the sortie according to the missions.

P-750B complements previous Malakhit designs of Piranha small coastal submarines (Piranha-M, Piranha-T, Piranha-T1, P-550E, P-650E and others) with a displacement of 220 — 1450 tons. They defend coastal and sea borders by covert patrol and destroy single warships and submarines by torpedoes. The submarines can lay mines and strike at coastal targets. They can engage in reconnaissance and provide guidance to the fleet and aviation. Some Piranha submarines can engage in special operations and carry 6-8 combat divers.

Continues, including graphics etc., at:
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... au-part-2/

[Link from Tim]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Russia To Establish Naval Base Capable Of Supporting Nuclear-Powered Ships In Sudan

The future base will expand Russia's ability to support naval operations south of the Suez Canal from the Red Sea out into the Indian Ocean.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed off on a plan to establish a Russian naval logistics and support base in the East African country of Sudan. This will be the country's first official military base on the continent since the fall of the Soviet Union and only its second formal naval facility abroad, the other being Tartus in Syria. The Sudanese base will offer a valuable additional location for Russian Navy warships to stop and resupply, as well as perform maintenance.

[Note 3 articles directly below the above opening paragraph.]

Continues at:
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 ... s-in-sudan

Link from Tim.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Terrifying History of Russia’s Nuclear Submarine Graveyard

The equivalent of six-and-a-half Hiroshimas lies just beneath the ocean's surface.
See:
https://www.popularmechanics.com/milita ... X-KTK0NPfs
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

No doubt it will be left until we have an aquatic Chernobyl in which we won't be as lucky with our recovery from it :(
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

A very grim story, one that has been talked about endlessly, at least since I was first there in 1992. There was a bit of a rush around then to buy up scrap submarines to recover titanium which lots of people thought was valuable not realizing that titanium is workable in primary form but incredibly difficult to recover and reuse in secondary form. Its very hard, and needs very high temperatures in special crucibles to reprocess, this needs it cut into small pieces of uniform size, and because of its hardness there is not much that will easily cut it. Thus a lot of cash was lost by those chancers who bought it. I well remember photos of trots of rusting sub s, holes in their casings, half full of oggin just rusting away. I think various govt agencies in the West (Yeltsin era) proposed all kinds of help to dispose of them properly but not much ever came of it.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Thanks for that Tim , hoped you might have a view on this topic .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Belgorod nuclear submarine carrier with Poseidon nuke drones to serve in Pacific

MOSCOW, April 6. /TASS/. The Belgorod special-purpose nuclear submarine will serve in the Pacific Ocean after passing state trials and commissioning, a source close to Defense Ministry told TASS.
"According to preliminary information, the Belgorod submarine will serve in the Pacific Ocean after commissioning. However, it would be able to perform missions in any location of the World Ocean," he said.
TASS does not have any commentary by Sevmash, the Belgorod manufacturer, on this point.
Earlier, a TASS source revealed that the Belgorod would enter state trials in May 2021. Another source disclosed that, in addition to the Poseidon nuclear drones, the submarine will carry the AS-15 deep-sea nuclear station.
The Project 09852 Poseidon submarine - the first ever carrier of Poseidon nuclear underwater drones - was launched on April 23, 2019. The submarine was initially scheduled for commissioning in 2020. According to TASS information, this did not pan out because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Under the current armament program, three special-purpose submarines will be built before 2027.
Source TASS.

See also:
https://tass.com/defense/1153699
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Russia's New Yasen-M Submarine Is on Its Way (And Armed to Teeth)

The Yasen-M line will be distinguished by a large and potent armament suite.
Following several years of delays, the lead Yasen-M submarine is on the verge of finally entering service in the Russian Navy’s Northern Fleet.
Continues, including photo at:
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/ ... eth-184403
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Russian submarine detected in Irish Sea

While it’s usual for Russian submarines to sail near the UK, it’s unusual for them to be found in the Irish Sea.
Defence Secretary Ben Wallace confirmed the presence of a submarine.
“We saw a Russian submarine in the Irish Sea, which I don’t think we have seen for a very very long time,” he told the Telegraph.
Continues at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/russian ... QqdZKqrZLY
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Development Of Future Russian Navy’s Project 22350M Frigate Is Underway

R&D work on Project 22350M ships is underway, CEO of the United Shipbuilding Corporation (USC) Alexei Rakhmanov told TASS.

Continues at:
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... -underway/

Link from Tim.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Russian Navy”