The Overall Picture

Add your posts about the Russian Navy in this section
Pelican

Re: The Overall Picture

Unread post by Pelican »

Russian Navy to commission some 40 vessels in 2020
See - https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... OEcE5H1pkU
Did it happen?
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Little evidence of it David unless you know different ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Northern Fleet is testing submarines' weapons at great depths in Barents, Norwegian seas
The exercise will last for several days.
Full article and a lot more at:

https://tass.com/defense/1309897?fbclid ... U1-6USgkjg
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

World’s Longest Submarine ‘K-329 Belgorod’ Gets Ready For Action As Russia’s Passion For ‘Big Weapons’ Again Comes To The Fore

July 1, 2021

Russia’s passion for the “biggest weapons” once again comes to the fore. Last week, the world’s longest submarine, K-329 Belgorod, set sail for the first time, leaving its port at Severodvinsk.
Note additional items down right hand margin at:
https://eurasiantimes.com/worlds-longes ... J6hq8nuxAh
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

IS THE MOSKVA-CLASS HELICOPTER CRUISER THE BEST NAVAL DESIGN FOR THE DRONE ERA?

A variety of factors, including the long range capabilities of modern artillery, the evolution of drones and missiles, together with the need for stand-off and distributed lethality, have combined to make space in the world’s navies for a great comeback of helicopter cruisers.

Cold War Cruiser Redux

In the mid-part of the Cold War, helicopter cruisers became a quite popular ship design. This trend was less noticeable in the US Navy, which concentrated on full-size carriers during that period, but a few other navies decided to operate such naval vessels. In the 1960’s, the French Navy commissioned the Jeanne d’Arc, the Italian Navy – Andrea Doria, Caio Duilio and Vittorio Veneto, and the Soviet Navy – Moskva and Leningrad. All of these ships were either heavily armed or could easily increase their armament, while also providing relatively large flight decks and hangars. The helicopter cruisers responded to the increasing threat and role of submarines in naval warfare. The air wings on each ship class consisted of four or more ASW helicopters.

The most representative among these designs is the Moskva class helicopter cruiser. Although 12 hulls were originally planned, only two vessels were built. The Moskva class had a length of 189 meters (620 feet) and 19,200 tons full displacement – a bit smaller than a San Antonio-class amphibious warfare ship. The aft hangar and flight deck of the ASW cruiser was designed to carry 18 medium helicopters, such as the Kamov Ka 25 Hormone; its bow and midship section included 2 medium caliber (57mm) guns and 3 missiles launchers for 48 anti-aircraft and 24 anti-submarine missiles.

Continues at:
https://cimsec.org/is-the-moskva-class- ... drone-era/

Link from Tim.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Russian Navy Day rehearsals at Kronstadt yesterday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

How strong is Russia?

When considering how strong modern Russia is, the first thing to remember that it is Russia, not the Soviet Union, and not even the Tsarist Empire.
The resources available to Moscow today are far less than those that the Soviet Union commanded, and it controls much less territory than the Tsarist Empire. However President Vladimir Putin’s regime has stabilised the country politically and economically.

This article is the opinion of the author and not necessarily that of the UK Defence Journal. If you would like to submit your own article on this topic or any other, please see our submission guidelines.

Viewed against the backdrop of Russian history over the past 700-odd years, during which the government of Russia has taken the form of autocracy interrupted by periods of chaotic anarchy (1), Putin has provided the average Russian with a significant degree of personal freedom within a framework of a significant degree of stability.

Putin’s Russia does not meet Western democratic standards, but it remains, for the average Russian, an improvement over the disorganisation of the immediate post-Soviet years and a great improvement over the Soviet period.

This has been a source of strength for Putin that seems rarely to get the attention it deserves in Western analyses. (This is not to deny increasing dissatisfaction with his regime, which is not surprising given that he has ruled Russia for some 22 years now, as Prime Minister or President, but it is not clear if this dissatisfaction is strong enough yet to force him out of office.)

In purchasing power parity terms, Russia has the world’s sixth largest economy, with a value of $4.016-trillion. However, its exports are dominated by petroleum, petroleum products and natural gas. Any falls in world oil and gas prices severely affect the country’s economy (2). Russia is also suffering from demographic decline. Its population is expected to fall by 5.4% between 2018 and 2040, from the current 142-million to 134-million. But this would still make it by far the most populous country in Europe (with Turkey in second place, with a population of just over 89-million forecast for 2040) (3).

Putin has clearly restored the effectiveness of Russia’s conventional armed forces (or of most of them), maintained and is modernising the only nuclear arsenal in the world that is on a par with that of the US, and has reasserted Russia’s status as a major power, through carefully chosen military interventions and actions.

Continues, including photos at:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/how-str ... sBzX876zWY
Brian James

Russian Navy Day celebrations at Vladivostok on July 25th 2021.
Brian James

Ingul Class Salvage Tug RFS Altay pictured yesterday at Sevastopol.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Northern Fleet warships will conduct tactical exercises around Scandinavia

The first group of navy ships and submarines that participated in the naval parade in St. Petersburg last weekend sailed under Denmark’s Great Belt bridge Friday morning on their way north to the Kola Peninsula.
Never has such powerful group of warships from the Northern Fleet previously been in the Baltic Sea. The vessels, now about to sail around Scandinavia in an inter-fleet transfer back to the bases along Russia’s northern coast to the Barents Sea, consists of three nuclear powered submarines, one diesel electric sub, a frigate, a large anti-submarine ship, a missile cruiser, a large landing ship, and several support vessels.
“During the inter-fleet transition to the permanent deployment bases, the ships of the Northern Fleet will perform a set of combat training missions as part of various naval formations, which will be formed for the purpose of conducting a number of tactical exercises,” the press service of the Northern Fleet informs.

[Tit for tat, maybe the Chinese will cruise around GB next or the E & W coasts of the USA.]

Continues at - https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/secur ... candinavia

Note other articles down R.H.S.

Link from Tim.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Russian Navy”