New River class patrol boat HMS Cambs ?

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
ivorthediver

New River class patrol boat HMS Cambs ?

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well the regulars will know that HMS Charger came to a watery grave so by a process of elimination and the fact that the author was more than a bit miffed that This "Class" of boat failed to include one named after our local River and necessity being the mother of invention she will evolve from the wooden hull currently on the slipway here :idea: hence HMS CAMBS will be :idea: the next River class Patrol boat . ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
jbryce1437

Re: New River class patrol boat HMS Cambs ?

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Go for it Ivor. The last HMS Cam only lasted 18 months before being scrapped, so I hope yours outlives it.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Ah but that was a sailing boat not a high tech S.O. A .vessel now was it ;)
jbryce1437

ivorthediver wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:00 pm Ah but that was a sailing boat not a high tech S.O. A .vessel now was it ;)
The last HMS Cam didn't have sails ;)

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Well done you , I was not aware of that Jim , I thought you were referring to HMS Cambridge :oops: that will teach me :roll:

Hull is well under way and hope to have a picture for you soon dear Sir ....
ivorthediver

Sorry for the delay in posting the candidate for HMS CAMBS Jim , ......won't bore you with the reasons, but here is the current progress and hope it gives you a feel for the reasons for nominating
the projects name / type , and hope you agree that this would seem most apt .

As you can see she is a wooden framed structure which has been resin painted internally , and body filler coated externally , so if she leaks now I will throw the towel in regards model making . :oops:

Still a lot of sanding and finishing to be carried out , but reaching the point of what will power her and general fitting out plan :? .

I have loads of bits to be "applied" but that all depends on what is needed in the design .

Other considerations to be decided yet :-
Motors , number /size /props / type design .
Control system's / location / cable runs /design / complexity
Battery type [ which will be determined on space available to some extent and motor type ]
none of which have been considered or decided ......in fact the more I think of it.. it runs true to our normal design parameters within the admiralty , never mind what you want mate .....can we afford it :?: and can we shoe horn it in :!: or shall we tell them it will be retro fitted :idea:

However the most important thing to be decided right now [ apart from cost parameters ] is
motors. one or two :?: as this obviously determine's how many and their location which has a direct bearing on the internal space and layout configuration you end up with :oops:

I know the actual has two , but below the waterline it will not matter ....in which case do I reuse the Kort Drive plundered from the predecessor... ;) ....... :lol:
ivorthediver

well despite my best efforts to include a photograph Jim my Apple keeps clocking out ........is this an omen one ponders :roll:
ivorthediver

Well Jim , I am being flagged with Submitted form was invalid . try submitting again :(

I am getting the green tick once chosen and the size seems ok but just won't show in preview :?:
jbryce1437

test
DSC01572.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Retired since 2002
jbryce1437

ivorthediver wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:03 pm Well Jim , I am being flagged with Submitted form was invalid . try submitting again :(

I am getting the green tick once chosen and the size seems ok but just won't show in preview :?:
Not sure if there is a problem with the Preview option. I think I submitted a photo a while ago and chose the Preview option to see that all was in order before posting. i tried again and chose the Submit option and the image uploaded.
Try using that method Ivor and see if it works. If it does, I will flag the problem up with Jack.

Jim
Retired since 2002
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”