New River class patrol boat HMS Cambs ?

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
Little h

Re: New River class patrol boat HMS Cambs ?

Unread post by Little h »

ivorthediver wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:14 pm Hull coming on well even between showers .

I have decided to fit traditional bilge keels rather than the plethora of projections this vessel has been allocated , as the real thing is not transported back and forth to the water and subjected to knocks and bangs like models are even though you take care of your pride and joy :roll:

They are now fitted and drying before being cleaned up , and the flight deck is awaiting sanding , and the superstructure was started today ....

Reached a bottle neck on the forward deck as I have no details to work from[of batch 2 ] as all the shots I have seen are of the side or after deck , so I will have to guess what is there or just leave it .........although the river Camb may have Whales so I could fit a harpoon :roll: ,
Three images contained in this link to StRN
Little h
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Not wishing to cause an issue Jim but if Tamar was P233 and presumably Spey will be P234 can one number HMS Camb P235 ? ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

ivorthediver wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:30 pm Not wishing to cause an issue Jim but if Tamar was P233 and presumably Spey will be P234 can one number HMS Camb P235 ? ;)
As far as I am aware there aren't any more of them on order to carry on the sequence so I can't see a problem with Cambs having that number. Just keep the Tippex handy :-)

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Thanks Jim , but I only have White .....or do you know where I can get admiralty grey Tippex ;) :?:

Been struggling with the foredeck and superstructure / bridge .......all looks fine on photo's but getting the scale / proportions right is difficult to put it mildly ....

Built the forward gun , altered it twice as it didn't look right :idea: decided it will now be a 15" single :roll:

Lifes full of little problem eh jim
jbryce1437

ivorthediver wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:50 pm
Built the forward gun , altered it twice as it didn't look right :idea: decided it will now be a 15" single :roll:

Lifes full of little problem eh jim
None that can be overcome Ivor. Is 15" the bore or barrel length :-)

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Well bore of course [the tug will carry the ammunition behind as there is no room for the magazine] :D

Seriously the gun looked disproportionate so a bit more scrimsure may be required me thinks , once the adjacent superstructure is in place , although I think it would look daft with a " Flower" class style set up :? ......we will see ....

With this many alterations to type , it might be safer to rename it as Batch 3 :roll:
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

FROM TODAY'S TELEGRAPH
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Well I did respond to the above post but it seems to have gone on walkabout :roll:

Well back to the job in hand ........having seen the video that Tim was kind enough to put on the Forum I can see that many changes would be required to make it a close resemblance to a batch 2 OPV so she is re-designated a type 3 batch 1 ;)

A comment made by Tim [ I believe ] that these were bigger than some destroyers were in WW11...and having seen the real thing I can see just how long the rear hull section actually is on this type ......still the "River Cam" is not that long is it :roll:

The whole model is being built arse about face as the prop shafts and rudders aren't even fitted yet as they are still outstanding from the suppliers, and once they are in........ I can site the motors , and then place the hull on an even keel and complete the model in a conventional manner , and fit the wiring , system ...........oh happy days
jbryce1437

You will just have to keep the champagne for the launch on ice a tad longer ;-)

Jim
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

AT LAST the prop shafts finally came today !

so with a bit of luck I can fit them tomorrow :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”