New River class patrol boat HMS Cambs ?

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
ivorthediver

Re: New River class patrol boat HMS Cambs ?

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Great "Test" photo Jim , blimp if Harry was let lose on the aerial gantry on the left hand vessel he would never leave , bless him ;)

Thanks Jim I will give it a shot , and thanks for checking it out , I'll give it a try now ..
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
ivorthediver

Great "Test" photo Jim , blimey.... if Harry was let loose on the aerial gantry on the left hand vessel he would never leave , bless him ;)

Thanks Jim I will give it a shot , and thanks for checking it out , I'll give it a try now ..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Well there you go Jim [ looking at it now I wish it hadn't bothered ] as I said...... a lot to do yet so a long way off :oops:.......but it gives you a profile to look at if nothing else :roll:
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

A good start Ivor. Big trees from little acorns grow ;-)

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Your very kind Jim , lets hope your optimism is justified eh .... ;)
ivorthediver

Well been busy today making a start on the organisation of materials for her.

I was given two German motors which will be fitted to her [ all I know of these is that they are 12v ish :roll:

Prop-shafts will be 8" stainless steel M4 threaded both ends [with bronze insert bearings each end] which will be cut to size and new threads cut to suit.... encased in a 6mm Brass outer casing .......

2 x 4 blade 40mm bronze propellers [ in the formate of the modern style of adjustable pitch propellers ]

I will construct two Brass rudders to suit working in tandem once the propellers have been aligned and secured in place

My preference would have been to fit twin Kort systems , which whilst would not have been in line with the type,..... but offer far better manoeuvrability , but the cost would have been greater than my annual Car insurance premium :shock: .

I also would have liked to fit a bow thruster, which is fitted to this type but again had I pursued that route I could have added another collective cost £320.00 in materials , which I can't really afford at this point so its a case of a representation rather than a scale model :oops:

My next Major problem will be finding "Scale" models of 2 oceanic style ribs , and a Wildcat Helicopter to park on the rear flight deck.... urrrrh problems.... problems ...., mind you if I were to work out an ACCURATE scale it may help :roll: ........still onwards and upwards..... ;)
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Will be watching the progress Ivor . Hoping to start again soon ...... my eye op is scheduled for today so hopefully these two peepers will sing from the same hymnsheet afterwards and I can blow another £300 on new glasses ........ the hand is still steady it just needs hand to eye coordination to kick in and bob's yer uncle and fanny's yer aunt so ter speak .
ivorthediver

We are thrilled to hear that Dave , hope all goes well , as for hand / eye co-ordination we have a wet room so its easier to clean up ;)

I'm sure I have many faults and short comings as far as model making is concerned mate but my biggest fault is stopping and taking pictures stage be stage as the model progresses as I am so wrapped up in what I am doing time passes and if it wasn't for our Shoreham girl I would have crossed the Bar a while back as meals / jabs /medication is way down the list of priorities when working on a project :oops: :roll:

Often think of dear old Sandy bless him , and he was opposite to me and frequently took pictures, as I am sure you will recall, and couldn't wait to switch on and see what he was up to and admired him a lot , and we eventually met at Norfolk model boat show and had a great day and was very saddened when it was time to go home after the event ......one in a million and a heart of gold . :cry:

So back to reality , today I cut two elongated slots in the hull ready to fit and align the prop-shafts
and added two stiffeners alongside each slot to brace the hull base internally , and a bulkhead to stabilise the top end of the prop shafts which will also assist when I am setting them up parallel .

Whenever I fit them I infill the gap between the hull bottom and the prop shaft casing and fair it in rather than fit "P" brackets or "A" frames , as I have found that should you be unfortunate enough to ground the model in shelving water it helps brace the shaft's ......just my quirky ways :idea:

Right off to collect the Admiral now as she finishes at three , so rather than be assaulted I will listen to how the world would be so much better if her and her Mum could organise it ...correctly :!:

Take good care of yourself and stay safe Dave ... :)
ivorthediver

Well that was a bit of luck , I managed to find a model of the lynx Mk 90 , which with a bit of tweaking will be altered to represent the Wildcat for the new model :D

I have downloaded a few RN photo's to enable me to tweak it and she should do as a stand off scale representation of the Wildcat , and I will find a motor for the rotor assy which will plug in to the deck once finished ....... ;)
ivorthediver

Hull coming on well even between showers .

I have decided to fit traditional bilge keels rather than the plethora of projections this vessel has been allocated , as the real thing is not transported back and forth to the water and subjected to knocks and bangs like models are even though you take care of your pride and joy :roll:

They are now fitted and drying before being cleaned up , and the flight deck is awaiting sanding , and the superstructure was started today ....

Reached a bottle neck on the forward deck as I have no details to work from[of batch 2 ] as all the shots I have seen are of the side or after deck , so I will have to guess what is there or just leave it .........although the river Camb may have Whales so I could fit a harpoon :roll: ,
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”