Ships of the Line

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
timlewin

Re: Ships of the Line

Unread post by timlewin »

magnificent picture, just too late for the Crimean War?
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

HMS Defiance pictured being towed to the breakers in 1935.She was the last RN wooden ship of the line, launched in 1861,she became a schoolship in 1884.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

First-Rate Ship of the Line HMS Hibernia pictured at Malta c1860.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

For the 'Old Salts' who prefer the good old days.
Two former RN ships-of-the-line converted into training barracks, HMS Duke of Wellington and HMS Marlborough,circa 1895
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Brian James

131 gun First Rate Ship of the Line HMS Duke Of Wellington pictured at Portsmouth in the late 1880's, Euphrates Class Troopship HMS Jumna is alongside in the background....When completed at Pembroke Royal Dockyard on February 4th 1853, HMS Duke of Wellington was, on paper at least, the most powerful warship in the world (and would remain so until the completion of the French Bretagne in 1855) and the largest yet built for the Royal Navy, twice the size of Nelson's Victory and with a far bigger broadside. She was 240 feet long, displaced 5,892 tons, and carried 131 cannon, weighing a total of 382 tons and mainly firing 32 lb balls.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Old Tall Ships - HMS CONQUEROR and HMS DUKE OF WELLINGTON in Malta, 1856
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Great images David , if a tad fuzzy , but excellent topic to view ....many thanks
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
emason

Unread post by emason »

The Mediterranean Fleet in Malta 1862.
Unfortunately no ships ID.
Mediterranean Fleet in Malta - 1862.jpg
Best wishes
Bill
emason

Unread post by emason »

Victory and St. Vincent.
(No other info)
Victory.jpg
St Vincent.jpg
Best wishes
Bill
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Thank you very much Bill , amazing pictures [ you've found my weak spot ] .

That one of St Vincent employs she was a 120 gun ship with four gun decks which I am surprised about and a plethora os ships boats on davits which for the time is a real eye opener to a model maker like me [ obviously still have much to learn it seams about this era ]

Thank you so much for posting these , Regards Ivor :)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”