General News

Add your posts about the Australian Navy in this section
Pelican

General News

Unread post by Pelican »

Teddy Sheean panel said it best when it found the 'true story had always been there'

Edward 'Teddy' Sheean was the youngest and most junior sailor on HMAS Armidale when he died defending his ship from a Japanese attack during World War II.

The 18-year-old was unwounded when he ignored orders to abandon the sinking ship, rejecting the potential safety of an escaping motorboat to instead strap himself to an anti-aircraft gun and fire in defence of his shipmates.

Mr Sheean's extraordinary actions were credited with damaging two enemy aircraft and helping save the lives of 49 crew. Sadly, the young Tasmanian went down with the ship.

Despite these well-documented and well-known acts of bravery, it has taken almost eight decades to convince anyone in power that the farm labourer-turned-war hero deserved Australia's highest military honour.

That day finally came on Monday, when Prime Minister Scott Morrison backtracked on his previous refusal to support a Victoria Cross for Sheean and announced his Government would recommend the honour on the advice of a panel he convened.

Continues at:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-11/ ... MuU_035Ouc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Re: General News

Unread post by Pelican »

Queen approves Victoria Cross for WWII hero Teddy Sheean

See - https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australi ... q?ocid=sf2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

A worthy recipient. RIP Teddy Sheean VC.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

The upgraded Anzac Class Frigates HMAS Stuart and HMAS Arunta pictured at Darwin...Neither are in original configuration...HMAS Stuart (L) was upgraded during the ASMD program (Anti-Ship Missile Defence) and HMAS Arunta (R) has been further upgraded under the AMCAP program (Anzac Mid-Life Capability Assurance Program).
Brian James

Royal Naval Depot, Garden Island pictured c1890.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Brian James

Leeuwin Class Hydrographic Survey Vessel HMAS Melville pictured off Point Perpendicular, Jervis Bay New South Wales on Saturday May 29th 2021.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Why India and Australia Like Japan’s Deadly Soryu-Class Submarines

Here's What You Need to Know: Both India and Australia have expressed interest in acquiring Japanese submarine technology, if not fully built submarines. Though it would be a break from the recent past, it would not be entirely shocking if Japanese submarines are seen in other countries’ navies in the future.The Japanese Navy, or as they’re officially known, the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF), is slated to operate a total of twelve Sōryū-class submarines. These diesel-electric attack submarines were originally introduced into service with the JMSDF in the mid- to late-2000s and have several interesting features.

The Sōryū-class was the first Japanese submarine class built by Japan to use lithium-ion batteries. Historically, batteries onboard submarines have been built similarly to the battery that powers your car—lead-acid batteries. Lithium-ion batteries have a size a power storage advantage in that they can have a greater power output despite being much smaller and more light-weight than their lead-acid predecessors.

Continues at - https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboo ... nes-190664
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Australian Navy”