General News

Add your posts about the Australian Navy in this section
Pelican

Re: General News

Unread post by Pelican »

Aukus: Australia to pay €555m settlement to French firm

Australia has announced a €555m ($585m; £475m) settlement with France's Naval Group as compensation for scuppering a submarine contract with Paris.

Australia angered France last year by suddenly cancelling a €35bn deal to build a fleet of submarines.

Instead, it chose to build nuclear-powered submarines with US and UK technology - the so-called Aukus deal.

The settlement draws a line under a bitter row that threatened to torpedo EU-Australia trade agreement talks.

Anthony Albanese, who became Australia's prime minister last month, said it was a "fair and an equitable settlement".

He added that he would travel to France soon to "reset" a relationship beset by "pretty obvious" tensions.

French Defence Minister Sebastien Lecornu said the settlement "permits us to turn a page in our bilateral relations with Australia and look to the future".

Continues at - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-61770012

[Ouch!]
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Australia’s transition to nuclear-powered submarines could run into the 2060s

In our most recent article, we argued that the Australian government should widen the aperture of the lens through which it is scrutinising industrial strategies for acquiring and sustaining Australia’s nuclear-powered attack submarine (SSN) capability. We suggested that there are good reasons to consider building the submarines overseas.

But the government, when taking all elements of the wicked submarine problem into account, may choose to build the SSNs in Australia. Building here may deliver significant sustainment benefits. It may be necessary to develop the expertise needed to exercise responsible nuclear stewardship. Our strategic partner in the US or the UK may not have the capacity to build submarines for us. These are all issues that the nuclear-powered submarine taskforce will need to assess in preparing its advice to the government.

Whichever industrial path the government chooses, we are looking at a very long transition from the Collins class to the future SSN fleet. There are many key milestones on that path, and while most attention is directed towards when the first boat will arrive, that’s not necessarily the most important one; a single boat does not a capability make.

All capability transitions are difficult and the submarine one will be the most challenging that the Department of Defence (and the nation) has ever undertaken. It’s impossible to prepare for that transition without knowing how long the journey will last—and it will extend well past delivery of the first boat.

Our starting point is that an SSN has a useful life of 30–35 years. The Royal Navy’s most recent Trafalgar-class retirees were over 30. The most recent US Navy Los Angeles–class SSNs to be retired have averaged around 35 years of service. Some, like USS Bremerton and USS Jacksonville, served for 40 years. It’s true that in the 1990s and 2000s, some were retired at a much younger age as the US, like all Western countries, sought to harvest the post–Cold War peace dividend. But that’s not the world we are facing now. Western navies desperately need submarines and, considering the huge investment required, they want to maximise the return.

Continues at - https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/austr ... the-2060s/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Lead Ship, Replenishment Oiler HMAS Supply conducting a RAS procedure with KDX-III Class Guided Missile Destroyer ROKS Sejong the Great during RIMPAC 2022.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

US Navy's Virginia class program of nuclear powered submarines in trouble

According to a report published by the US Congressional Research Service on July 27, 2022, the Virginia class program experienced cost growth in its early years and delays relative to targeted delivery dates. What will Australia decide next?

This comes after Australia's previous defense minister, Mr Dutton, said on 13 June 2022 that his plan was to buy two Virginia-class submarines from the US by 2030.

In September 2021 Australia scrapped its French contract of Barracuda-class submarines to sign a trilateral security pact called AUKUS with the United Kingdom and the United States.

Under the pact, the United States and the United Kingdom agree to help Australia to develop and deploy nuclear-powered submarines. The other option for the Royal Australian Navy is the future British Astute class submarine.

See - https://www.navyrecognition.com/index.p ... ouble.html
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Hunter class weight issues have now be largely resolved by small increase in beam

UK defence chief confident Australia's multi-billion-dollar, British-designed warships are on track, despite 'teething problems' See- https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-30/ ... /101282744
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

AUKUS submarines: A burden too big for overloaded U.S. shipyards

TOKYO -- A senior U.S. Navy official has expressed concern that assisting Australia in acquiring nuclear-powered submarines may be too much of a burden for America's overstretched nuclear shipyards.

During a webinar at the Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies last week, U.S. Navy Rear Adm. Scott Pappano, program executive officer for strategic submarines, was asked if an arrangement under AUKUS to help Canberra acquire nuclear submarines could chip away at or pose a risk to America's own submarine plans.

"If you are asking my opinion, if we were going to add additional submarine construction to our industrial base, that would be detrimental to us right now, without significant investment to provide additional capacity, capability to do that," Pappano replied. He said the same goes for the U.K.

Continues at - https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/Intern ... -shipyards
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Australian destroyer strikes land target with Harpoon missile during Pacific Vanguard

See - https://www.navaltoday.com/2022/09/08/a ... -vanguard/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Australian warships challenged by Chinese military near heavily fortified Spratly Islands

Two Australian warships were closely tracked by the Chinese military last month as they passed some of Beijing's most heavily fortified islands in the South China Sea, as part of a joint show of force with the US and Japanese navies.
Officials with knowledge of the operation say destroyer HMAS Hobart and auxiliary tanker HMAS Stalwart sailed close to the Spratly Islands and were challenged by the People's Liberation Army (PLA) in international waters claimed by China.

Continues at - https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/australi ... f2a50d3e46
Brian James

Collins Class Submarine HMAS Farncomb pictured at Yokosuka on November 18th 2022.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Halifax Class Frigate HMCS Winnipeg pictured breaking away from Lead Ship, Replenishment Oiler HMAS Supply during RIMPAC 2022.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Australian Navy”