Ship Identification

Got some ships photographs or videos that you want to share with others? Post them here
Pelican

Re: Ship Identification

Unread post by Pelican »

Many thanks Tim.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Can anyone assist in unravelling the story behind the page of this album please?
Regarding the word Canterbury initially looking at the ship in the background she appears to have 3 funnels.
Canterbury only had 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Canterbury_(1915) - but perhaps there is another ship either in front or behind her?
I do not have the gear to look at it closely.
Also the subject ship only has a single turret/mounting forward and aft plus her mast and director are similar in outline shape to Canterbury's?
It is thought that the photos were taken around 1927 - before Canterbury was broken up.
Ganges had a running track not far from the pier at that time - it has since become a marina.
The history of the cup/trophy would be useful.
Quite an important event for an admiral to present it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

The nearest that I can find is an Arethusa Class cruiser of 1914, Arethusa , Aurora, Galatea, Inconstant, Penelope, Phaeton, Royalist, Undaunted. Which had funnels matching those in the background, thin then fat, then thin profiles. This is a photo of Arethusa

Jim

arethusa[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

VMT Jim.
An oppo with more spare time than me has come up with:
"The Arbuthnot Trophy pg 1027 was run at Shotley and won by HMS Canterbury by then it was known as the cruisers trophy. All the pictures were taken at Shotley. The Arbuthnot Trophy was an inter fleet marathon race originally ran in Turkey – named after Admiral Arbuthnot who was killed at the Battle of Jutland."
Please consider case closed.
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

Pelican wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:38 am Please consider case closed.
Nope!!!

I posted a short series about Rear Admiral Arbuthnut in the 'Pussers Bikers' thread of the WNSF .... will attempt to uncover it, and link it on here. However here is another Arbuthnot Trophy of equal or more interest to me....

The story behind the Arbuthnot Trophy
14th December 2016

The Arbuthnot Trial is an annual reliability trial for British vintage and classic motorcycles. David Wright explains how this event commemorates a naval officer who died during the battle of Jutland over 100 years ago.

The present-day event incorporates ‘the ambience of the 1920s era’ with the emphasis on rigid machines, although later classics are acceptable. Competition off-roaders rub shoulders with ‘colonial’ models (the latter being built for the road) and suitable sections are provided for each sort.

‘The Arbuthnot is not supposed to be a Sunday afternoon stroll,’ say the organisers, ‘but a hard day’s ride which will leave competitors tired but satisfied they have achieved a tough goal… In 1928, the riders did two laps of a very similar course on tracks not so well established, on comparatively crude machines.’

When spectators opened their programmes at the 1908 Isle of Man Tourist Trophy meeting, many would have looked twice at entry number 24. It showed a captain of the Royal Navy as down to ride a Triumph. Not only was it unusual to have a serving sea captain engaging in motorcycle racing, but those who understood the niceties of British life recognised that he held the title of baronet, for his entry read Captain Sir RK Arbuthnot, Bt. However, what those watching could not have known was that the heroic deeds of this man, both on and off two-wheels, would see his name endure in the world of motorcycling for a century and more.

Coming from a distinguished family, Robert Keith Arbuthnot entered the navy as a midshipman of 13, progressed in rank and survived a catastrophe on HMS Royal Sovereign in 1901 when a heavy gun exploded at the breech, killing six and leaving him as one of 20 with serious injuries.

How and when he developed an interest in motorcycles is not known, but at the comparatively old age of 44 he joined fellow entrants at historic Tynwald Hill, St Johns on the Isle of Man, for the start of the 1908 TT. This was only the second running of the event and it was scheduled for 10 laps of a 15½ mile course on the west of the Island. This ‘Short Course’ was used from 1907-1910, before the 37¾ mile Mountain Course was adopted for the TT in 1911.

----------------------------------------

After laying dormant on a shelf at ACU headquarters for some 45 years, the Arbuthnot Trophy was returned to competition in 1982 as the premier award in a trial for old style rigid-framed motorcycles. Run over a course of nearly 80 miles in the Salisbury area, much of which was over tracks, it was a successful attempt to re-enact the type of long-distance Trial that was popular between the two world wars.

Having re-established itself, the Arbuthnot Trophy Trial continues to run on an annual basis and entry is no longer restricted to members of the Senior Service (as the Royal Navy calls itself). It is now open to anyone with a suitably old bike who wants a good ride over reasonable off-road going.

Relatively little is made of the origin and history surrounding the Arbuthnot title at the present event, but it would be nice to think that at some time during their day’s sport, current participants spare a thought for the former TT rider and war hero who gave his life for his country and his name to their trial.
ARBUTHNOT-TROPHY-595x1243.jpg
Full article can be read in the RealClassic where another seven images can be viewed.
Little h
Little h

Rear-Admiral SIR Robert Keith Arbuthnot, Fourth Baronet, K.C.B., M.V.O., Royal Navy (23 March, 1864 – 31 May, 1916) was an officer of the Royal Navy. He is chiefly remembered today for being killed at the Battle of Jutland in 1916, in which he led most of his First Cruiser Squadron to destruction against the German High Sea Fleet. Arbuthnot had a reputation of being a martinet, but he enjoyed almost universal respect because he would never ask anyone to perform a task he himself could not do.

--------------------------------------

Legacy

On 15 September he was posthumously appointed an Additional Member of the Second Class, or Knight Commander, in the Military Division of the Order of the Bath (K.C.B.).[40] Lady Lina Arbuthnot passed away after a long illness on 29 May 1935 at Hindhead, leaving one daughter, Mrs. Anthony John Anson.[41] Due to a lack of entrants in 1937 the Auto-Cycle Union was forced to discontinue the Arbuthnot Trophy Trial.[42]

Read full article at/in the dreadnoughtproject.org
Last edited by Little h on Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

TU for all the detailed work Harry.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Pelican wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:38 am
Please consider case closed.
Ok, I have just come across this photo, which may be Canterbury with 3 funnels, all the others of her show two funnels. If it is her, she must have lost one during a refit.

Jim
ps just checked some of my other pics and these C Class cruisers were completed with 3 funnels, Caroline, Conquest, etc., included, and subsequently reduced to 2.

canterbury maybe.jpg
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

TU for taking the trouble Jim.
Little h

"Cruisers Arbuthnot Trophy"

Might this be what they are doing at Shotley David:-

.... An interfleet crosscountry race was called "The Arbuthnot Trophy"....

Also this bolded (by me) passage will refer to the posts I have already posted:-

He had a Sunbeam Tonneau [4] and competed with it in the 1904 Bexhill Speed Trials. An enthusiastic member of the Motor Cycling Club, he kept his motorbike in his day cabin and engaged in long distance endurance races.[5] In 1908, he came third in the single-cylinder class of the Isle of Man TT,[6] and an annual rally in the Isle of Man and a TT trophy for service members are named after him. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1898, and had played for the Club, United Services, and the Navy.

Source; Wiki'
Little h
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Ship, other Photographs and Videos”