VJ Day 75

Honour our War Dead here and post your photos of your local Remembrance Day events
Pelican

VJ Day 75

Unread post by Pelican »

On the 75th Anniversary of VJ Day Veterans Share their Stories of Serving in the Far East

HMS Queenborough was a Q-class destroyer that served in the Royal Navy and Royal Australian Navy. Constructed during WWII as part of the War Emergency Programme, Queenborough was laid down in 1940 and launched in 1942, serving in the Arctic, Mediterranean, and Pacific theatres.

Danny arrived in Australia on his 21st birthday and ever the entertainer appeared several times on Australian radio and sang on the stage in Sydney with Gracie Fields. He remembers that after the Japanese surrender two Kamikazes flew over and attacked HMS Formidable killing 25 men.

When Danny returned after the war there was no crowd to meet them and when his Mum saw him for the first time, she was awfully shocked that he had not grown up to be a big man!

Dick Goodwin, Vice President, Taxi Charity for Military Veterans, said,

“The Taxi Charity has had a commemorative VJ Day tin specially designed for our veterans for the 75th anniversary. The lid of the tin features a work by war artist Thomas Dugdale. The tins will be delivered to local veterans by volunteer London Cabbies over the next two weeks and the tins for those who live further away will be posted. With most VJ Day events having to be cancelled it is our way of letting the veterans know we are thinking of them on this very important anniversary”

If you know of a veteran whose life might be enriched by joining the Taxi Charity family, please visit www.taxicharity.org

From - https://www.cobseo.org.uk/on-the-75th-a ... -far-east/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Re: VJ Day 75

Unread post by Pelican »

75TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE ROYAL NAVY’S LAST VC WINNER

It is unlikely you will have heard of the Onagawa Wan, a large bay on the east coast of Japan’s main island Honshu, some 250 miles north of Tokyo.

Extract:
In July and August 1945 alone, British carriers accounted for one quarter of the enemy shipping sunk or damaged by air power – 356,000 tons of Japanese shipping.

British submarines accounted for 34 Japanese vessels – two out of five of them enemy warships including the cruiser Ashigara, dispatched by HMS Trenchant in the Banka Strait off Sumatra.

“We learnt later that we had drowned 800 of the enemy, but this horror did not cause us to lose any sleep at all,” Trenchant’s skipper Commander Arthur Hezlet recalled.

“We thought of the Exeter, whose destruction had been wrought mainly by the Ashigara. We also remembered Prince of Wales and Repulse, the Dorsetshire, Cornwall and Hermes – all victims of the Imperial Japanese Navy.”

At 13,000 tons, Ashigara was the largest Japanese warship to fall victim to the Silent Service.

While the Silent Silence gnawed at what was left of the once-mighty Imperial Japanese Navy and merchant marine, the Fleet Air Arm inflicted death by a thousand cuts on Japan’s ability to wage war.

Three dozen Corsairs provided the core striking power of HMS Formidable, flagship of the 1st Aircraft Carrier Squadron.
She did so with a vengeance. Her aircraft struck at airfields around Tokyo, merchant shipping, seaplane bases and one destroyer.
The latter was dispatched by 27-year-old Canadian Lieutenant Robert Hampton Gray, known as Hammy, a man with boyish good looks and captivating smile – but ruthless and fearless in the cockpit.
At 8.35 on the morning of August 9, Gray climbed into the cockpit of his Corsair for another strike mission; the attack against an airbase at Matsushima had been cancelled – Gray was to seek targets in Onagawa Wan where enemy shipping had been sighted.
He had been told not to take unnecessary risks – there was a possibility that war with Japan might end, the Soviet Union had that morning attacked Japanese forces in Manchuria to compound the empire’s misery – but when he sighted five enemy ships in harbour, Gray pressed home the attack with vigour.
Coming in as low as 50ft and leading the attack, Gray drew the bulk of enemy fire – so ferocious was it that it shot away one of his 500lb bombs. The second however he hurled into the coastal defence ship Amakusa, which exploded in the engine room and detonated the magazine. But as Gray’s Corsair passed over his crippled foe, it was engulfed in flame and corkscrewed into the sea.
From attacks against Hitler’s flagship Tirpitz in the Norwegian fjords to strikes against Japan, Robert Hampton Gray had “consistently shown a brilliant fighting spirit and most inspiring leadership”. His final act, sinking the Amakusa, earned him the Victoria Cross.
It was the final VC of 182 awarded in World War 2 and to date, the last earned by the Fleet Air Arm and Royal Navy.

Full article and images at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... -VC-winner
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

A Navy flattop just rolled up in Hawaii laden with World War II-era warbirds

A Navy flattop just arrived in Hawaii with an unusual cargo: a fleet of World War II-era warbirds.

The Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Essex arrived in Hawaii's Pearl Harbor — site of the infamous Japanese surprise attack of December 7, 1941 — laden with a handful of vintage aircraft on Monday, according to the Navy.

The warbirds are set to take part in a commemoration of the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII from Aug. 29 to Sep. 2, according to the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, with some 30 U.S. military veterans of the conflict expected to attend.

While the 844-foot Essex normally hosts aircraft advanced aircraft like the F-35B Joint Strike Fighter, her current cargo consists of a B-25 bomber, two PBY Catalina flying boats, an SNJ/AT-6 Texan, four AT-6 Texans, an FM2 Wildcat, F8F Bearcat, Stearman biplane, TBM Avenger, P-51 Mustang and a T-28 Trojan.

The United States and the Allies declared victory over Japan on Aug. 14, 1945, following the twin atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki the previous week, with Japanese officials formally surrendering on Sept. 2.

According to the Navy, the theme for this year's commemoration is "Salute Their Service, Honor Their Hope” in recognition of the WWII veterans and civilians who contributed to the end of the war.

The commemoration itself will include three "Legacy of Peace" flyovers of the aircraft culminating with an official ceremony on USS Missouri on Sept. 2.

As The War Zone notes, Navy flattops have hosted to WWII-era warbirds for decades: Back in 1992, the USS Ranger aircraft carrier launched a pair of B-25s to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the 1942 Doolittle raid on Japan.

According to the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, one of the B-25s involved in this year's commemoration belongs to David Prescott, who sent his B-25 named "Old Glory" to San Diego to eventually make the trip to Hawaii aboard the Essex.

“It’s important to me," Prescott told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser. "It’s probably one of the last times (some of these veterans) will be able to see this."

FROM: https://taskandpurpose.com/.amp/history ... sex-hawaii
Which contains some excellent photos.

P.S. Don't miss this link:
https://taskandpurpose.com/history/wwii ... -lagerweij

[Link supplied by Tim]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

BY GANGES BOY PETER TURTON:

"Today marks the 75th anniversary of the Japanese surrender. Its worth remembering that a future Ganges Captain, Michael Le Fanu, my skipper there in 1956, was serving with the US Navy as a liaison officer at that time. So on the instructions of US Admiral Halsey he and another Lt.Cdr. were told to "go away and arrange the surrender of Japan".

So when you look at the pictures of the surrender ceremony on USS Missouri, know that the table and chairs were arranged by Le Fanu from HMS King George V, as was the Pussers rum to celebrate the occasion after the ceremony, bearing in mind that the US Navy was 'dry'."

See also - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDao1oty9Kg
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

CARRIER SAILORS LEAD NAVAL INVOLVEMENT IN VJ DAY COMMEMORATIONS

The Prince of Wales and sailors from his namesake ship will lead national commemorations marking the 75th anniversary of victory over Japan.

The crew of the new carrier will represent the Senior Service at the UK act of thanksgiving and remembrance at the National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire, alongside veterans, families and descendants of those who strove to put an end to Japanese militarism.

As with VE Day commemorations earlier in the year, plans have been scaled down due to the Covid pandemic – and the public will not be able to attend the principal event at the arboretum… but it is being broadcast by the BBC.

Commemorations tomorrow begin at 6am with performance by pipers around the world, including HMS Belfast (which was due to take part in operations against Japan in 1945 only for Tokyo to surrender), followed by a wreath laying at the Cenotaph in Whitehall.

Mid-morning, the focus shifts to the arboretum where the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall will be guests of honour, joining veterans such as former HMS Indefatigable crewman Albert ‘Les’ Wills, families and military personnel from units associated with the war against Japan.

Continues, including photos at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... emorations
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

VJ 75 - THE BBC CONCERT - THE NATION'S TRIBUTE - THE FULL PROGRAMME - 89 MINS

In this final event to mark the 75th anniversary of VJ Day, Joanna Lumley is joined by a host of stars to celebrate and commemorate the conclusion of the Second World War. Hugh Bonneville, Sheridan Smith, Paterson Joseph, Sir Bryn Terfel, Sir Willard White and Nicola Roberts pay tribute to those who served in the campaigns in the Far East. Descendants and members of the military give thanks to the veterans of the Second World War in a spectacular event on Horse Guards Parade, London

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... ns-tribute

Dame Vera Lynn Medley and songs from VJ Day 75 - 23 MINS.
For overseas Members who cannot view the iPlayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k3wGUfQo2w
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

TOGETHER AT LAST - HONG KONG FAMILY REUNION IN 1945

After VJ Day, the role of the troops changed literally overnight from being focused on fighting to a humanitarian effort. It took many months afterwards to free and repatriate all the Prisoners of War.
One of the first good news stories to emerge was of a young family coming together for the very first time.
September 1945 saw not only the reunion of Petty Officer (PO) John Wight-Brown RN with his wife, but his first meeting with daughter Elizabeth-Ann, then five years old.

Continues with photos at;
https://www.nmrn.org.uk/news-events/nmr ... OqJgymdR-M

[And some dripped about two and half year comishes.]
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

820 NAVAL AIR SQUADRON AND THE LAST FIGHT OF THE WAR

Aircraft from the Royal Navy fought one of the last dog-fights of the Second World War – fending off attacking Japanese Zero fighters on the very day peace was declared.
The aircrews of 820 Naval Air Squadron were flying from a British carrier to attack airfields in mainland Japan, in preparation for a planned invasion.
This year is the 75th anniversary of VJ Day, which marked the end of the conflict against Imperial Japan during the Second World War, on August 15, 1945.
Nowadays, 820 Naval Air Squadron flies Merlin Mk2 helicopters and is the dedicated squadron to protect the navy’s new aircraft carriers.
Based at Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose at Helston, in Cornwall, the squadron still proudly remembers the part played by its air and ground crews in the bitter war against Japan.

Continues with photos at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... u_mjzTOu_0
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Remembrance Thread”