Fast Mine Layer HMS Manxman

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
ivorthediver

Fast Mine Layer HMS Manxman

Unread post by ivorthediver »

This model which was my first RC Kit which I then modified to suit and adapt from 2 channel to 4 channel was challenging but a good starter to model boats .

As stated elsewhere my Models generally have major refits in there service life , and she was no exception .

Once built in 2009 and sailed and rectified to suit my needs she had sound effects added as is Destroyer whistles , echo sounders , gun fire , etc then an 6amp amplifier so we could hear it from the far side of the lake , and then I made a steam generator adaption which channeled smoke up three funnels , then fitted Navigation lights and a multifunction speed mixer to the bigger engines .

She also had a voltage monitor to keep an eye on the remaining supplies of power left in the Lipo batteries aboard .

All a tight fit and shoe horn job , but got there in the end , and being a Destroyer/ Cruiser profile she cut through the water like a knife , just like her name sake
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
ivorthediver

Re: Fast Mine Layer HMS Manxman

Incidentally Jim I noticed recently after reading your magnificent efforts on the pennant numbers thread that she is intact showing the WRONG pennant number :oops: , so I will change her in the not to distant future [ to N70], cant have any deviation from correct now can we eh :oops:
ivorthediver

Re: Fast Mine Layer HMS Manxman

Over a period of time most of my models go through refits and HMS Manzman was no exception .

On the WNSF I ran a section where by she was refurbished and repaired and re engined along with the installation of Lipo Batteries to reduce her weight and boost her capacity .

This took about six months as I recall but worked out well in the end .

The pictures show the new larger motors and the rats nest of wiring looms needed to fit beneath the aft superstructure along with the speed controller , and the parallel power supplies used in that configuration , followed by extensive repainting and repairs

The original motors were I believe 360 twins which were 12v and ran at 9220 revs flat out

The replacements were 540 twins which ran at 13360 revs flat out and again 12v supply .

All my speed controllers , switchers , sound modules ,amplifiers , speakers were all bought from Action , which is now owned by Component -Shop .

Every modeller I know has their individual preferences I know but you tend to stick to those who serve you well and look after you with both advice and service . and they were mine .

Again you use the internet to shop around and over the years build up a collection of tools and hand tools and indeed make a lot of your own to fit the task in hand where ready made ones don't exist . which is all part of the challenge I found .

The very nature of modelling is not only the present a model which represents the subject matter in hand but if you can produce a realistic model with correct Navigation lights fitted , and as much detail as you can which is in keeping with the subject in the time frame you chose then all the better . and there have been many like dear old" Sandy" who helped me a lot to gain my aim and offer advice when you met a brick wall and didn't know how to scale it.

Most modellers are retain bits and bobs which whilst not immediately of any use , in time serve to be exactly that you need .

When building HMS Manxman all sorts of junk found its way onto her , case in point :-

The penalty you pay for adding detail is the model becomes top heavy and unstable , and in this instance a lead ingot was fitted beneath the keel to give the correct waterline and ballast the model correctly . so it was drilled and bolted through in mid section and worked perfectly .so its just a case of rummaging around to find a" solution to float your boat" :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”