RN Minesweepers: Hunt Class 1980

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

RN Minesweepers: Hunt Class 1980

Unread post by Pelican »

WARSHIP CELEBRATES 39TH BIRTHDAY
11 June 2020
Britain’s oldest front-line warship clocks up her 39th birthday today – on operations in the Gulf.

And while she’s old outwardly, her construction of Glass Reinforced Plastic means that the machinery and technology packed within her 60-metre-long hull can – and has been – constantly renewed and refreshed so that her 50 crew can keep on top of the latest mine threats.

The Hunt-class ship was ordered on the last day of March 1977 (when Abba filled the dancefloor with Knowing Me, Knowing You) and laid down that October at Vosper Thornycroft’s yard in Woolston, Southampton (as Queen unleashed We Are The Champions on the world).

The £65m spent on the ship at the time – over £360m today – made Ledbury the most expensive vessel in the Fleet – metre-by-metre.
It took Vosper more than two years to build her; sponsor Elizabeth Berthon, whose husband Vice Admiral Stephen Berthon was Deputy Chief of Defence Staff, launched the ship in December 1979.

Continues at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... dbury-bday
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Re: RN Minesweepers: Hunt Class 1980

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy's oldest sea-going warship 'days away' from return to Portsmouth after three years in the Gulf

AFTER three years defending critical shipping lanes in the Gulf, Britain’s oldest sea-going warship is just days away from returning to her home in Portsmouth.
Minehunter HMS Ledbury is almost at the end of her 6,000-mile journey home after more than 1,000 days away from UK shores.
The Hunt-class ship left Bahrain in July, accompanied by Faslane-based minehunter HMS Blyth.
Together, the trusty pair of vessels have been forward-deployed in the Gulf since 2017, with their two crews rotating every few months.
Glass-hulled Ledbury is the first of the Hunt-class minehunters, and was commissioned in June 1981. She is home to 47 crew members.
The 685-tonne vessel is being guided home by Second Mine Counter Measure Squadron (MCM2) Crew 2, who spent 116 days at sea, with their anti-mine marine drone Seafox carrying out 57 missions and 88 dives carried out by the ship's clearance diving teams.
The crew, who arrived on board in January, also took part in the multi-national exercise Khunjar Hadd, Arabic for ‘Sharp Dagger’.
Ledbury was joined by RFA Cardigan Bay, HMS Shoreham and HMS Brocklesby for the ordnance disposal exercise with US, French and Omani navies.
In March, Ledbury’s crew had to adapt quickly when restrictions from the Covid-19 pandemic were introduced.
For the sailors it meant staying within the base when alongside at the UK Naval Support Facility in Bahrain or on board the ship when visiting other ports.
During this time, Ledbury received 117 bags of morale-boosting mail.
The vessel also joined other nations for Combined Task Forces 152 and 150, maritime security operations in the Gulf and the wider region, and worked with the US Navy.
In July, the Ledbury and Blyth started their epic trip home, accompanied by HMS Montrose through the Strait of Hormuz and Bab el Mandeb Straits.
High seas and 60 knot winds made for a difficult pass near Oman and Yemen before the ships sailed through the Suez Canal and into the Mediterranean.
While in the region, they supported Nato maritime security operation, before making their last port stop in Gibraltar.
The ships sailed from the British-owned peninsula last week on their final leg to the UK. They are expected home in a matter of days.

[Contents of a link sent by Tim]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS BERKELEY

Ex-RN Hunt Class minehunter (former HMS Berkeley) serving with the Greek navy since 2001 as HS Kallisto cut in half during collision with containership MV Maersk Launceston.
Accident occurred at 0730 this morning off Piraeus.
2 crew members slightly injured rescued from water.
HS Kallisto is likely a write-off. The MoD has being trying to sell ex-HMS Atherstone, laid up in Portsmouth since December 2017 and she would make good direct replacement.
For photos go to:
https://www.facebook.com/savetheroyalna ... 7567121292
Also
https://www.protothema.gr/greece/articl ... Gnal6ZXJJ4
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

TWEET FROM LEDBURY

40 years old today and proud of it. 14,600 sea days to our name.

HMSQNLZ

HMSPWLS

HMS_Spey

hms_tamar

hmssevern

all of you combined don’t match that sprogs Iremembermyfirstseaday

For photos see - https://twitter.com/HMSLedbury/status/1 ... 0084487181
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Happy 40th Birthday Hms Brocklesby

Wishing you many more years of happy service - The Ship’s Company celebrated by braving the cold for a sweep deck BBQ - https://twitter.com/HmsBrocklesby/statu ... 1361059843
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Cattistock

Celebrates 40 years of service (Second oldest ship in the fleet). Currently undergoing major refit in Portsmouth which will see her serve into the 2030s as one the the last crewed minehunters in the RN.

See - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... er-forties
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

It's been a busy day already at Harland & Wolff (Appledore) with the first engine removal from HMS Quorn!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Ledbury brought out of the shed (on the jack up barge Typhoon 3000) today as her refit progresses.

Photo at - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 02/photo/1
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”