HMS Charger P292 Archer class Patrol boat

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
ivorthediver

HMS Charger P292 Archer class Patrol boat

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well this lock down is not only a stress test for any relationship , but anyones patience .

I was given a model about two years ago that has sat in my shed with no intentions of building it BUT enough is enough so I have dragged it out and made a start on it , inspire of having no lake until the social distancing is reversed anyway :evil:

Its the worst type of hull being pressed vacuum formed , but it has a nice Kort system along with it , so the intention is to cobble it together from bits from my slop chest and see what happens .

I have already aligned the drive , [looking for reasons to through it away] but it fitted well :oops:

Lined the inside with some fibre glass sheet and resin I had spare [ although its frowned upon as it is said to separate in time ] but so far its stuck like s..t to a blanket [ not that I have any working knowledge of that event :oops: you understand ] so better decide what it is going to be made into next .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
jbryce1437

Re: HMS Charger P292 Archer class Patrol boat

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Good luck with the "work in progress" Ivor, I am sure it will turn out well.
HMS Heath Robinson? 😀

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Thanks Jim, many a true word was spoken in jest ;)

The hull is 70mmx20mm and was originally designed to by some type of fishing boat having a high brow and a profiled stern [ a bit like a stretched tug ] and I have everything I need will be from the slop chest added to over the years .......all that is except the design / type ... :?:

I did consider making a crew transport boat like the QE carriers Buccaneer but they had twin jet thrusters , not a single Kort drive .or perhaps a pilot / harbour Master vessel .....
so any bright ideas welcome as far as scale goes it was designed to be 36ft long x11ft beam 3'6'' draft displacement 21 tons approx ....perhaps more a case of HMS Bodge it. or HMS Budget .

Motor will be a 700 and a 4000 LiPO battery ......they are already fitted.
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

ivorthediver wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:31 am Thanks Jim, many a true word was spoken in jest ;)

The hull is 70mmx20mm and was originally designed to by some type of fishing boat having a high brow and a profiled stern [ a bit like a stretched tug ] and I have everything I need will be from the slop chest added to over the years .......all that is except the design / type ... :?:

I did consider making a crew transport boat like the QE carriers Buccaneer but they had twin jet thrusters , not a single Kort drive .or perhaps a pilot / harbour Master vessel .....
so any bright ideas welcome as far as scale goes it was designed to be 36ft long x11ft beam 3'6'' draft displacement 21 tons approx ....perhaps more a case of HMS Bodge it. or HMS Budget .

Motor will be a 700 and a 4000 LiPO battery ......they are already fitted.
Oooh what a shame about quoted dimensions ... was gonna suggest an Offshore Support Vessel - I really like them!!
Little h
ivorthediver

Well thank you Harry :idea: , that was a line I was looking at , or perhaps a mine clearance vessel of some type and change her name to HMS LOCKDOWN ;)

Any other ideas please .............All will be considered whilst I build the hull . :D
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Ivor , regarding your lining the hull with fibre glaas sheet and resin mix . I used that when I built Snowberry [Plastic Kit] in 2000 . She served me well and when she went to the knackers yard in 2019 she fought against breakup every step of the way and the joints were as good as new .

Dave
ivorthediver

Re: Model Making: General

Thanks for the reassurance Dave , I did a repair to the lighter I built last year which seemed to work well but I had no access to the inside once finished so haven't been able to check up on it but it still floats and tows well behind the tug so assume all is well .

any bright ideas on what to make her into please :idea:

Here's a work in progress shot if it helps at all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

How about a Dutch Sandbarge ............. bow end a hold cum workshop with small derrick crane for hoisting aboard and stuowing the car . Going aft two sand holds ...... At the stern Superstructure which houses the accommodation below with the Bridge/Wheelhouse able to sink to Deck level for going under low bridges . When mot employed the forard hold becomes a Swimming Pool and the hatch battens stay on the After hold for Dining/Sunworshipping ;) :) :?: :idea:
ivorthediver

Well thanks to all concerned but it looks as though my good lady has decided on P292 HMS Charger following some excellent research by Pelican [ David God bless him ] .

Having seen some side profiles of the vessel it looks a likely candidate however as is always the case its the finer points that will fox me i.e. the bridge layout detail :oops:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ....IF ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY PHOTO'S OR ANY OTHER DETAILS ON THE. " ARCHER CLASS" WHICH MAY HELP PLEASE LET ME HAVE THEM :oops:

And to my dear Hon Mod Sir Jim .... shall I make a new post or can you change this to HMS CHARGER P 292 Archer class Patrol boat :? yes I realise P294 should have been the more fitting designation but I have no wish to end up in A+E in these troubled times :roll:
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

ITD, some absolutely excellent incredibly close up views of Charger and other Archer Class vessels as you scroll down a little way past HMS Scott in the link to ussalbion.co.uk/navyfleet website titled as follows:-

Present Royal Navy fleet list:
All photos are copyright to Adrian Jones, and may only be reused with appropriate acknowledgement.

I think you will find them invaluable in your build
Little h
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”