HMS Charger P292 Archer class Patrol boat

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
Little h

Re: HMS Charger P292 Archer class Patrol boat

Unread post by Little h »

Ivor, Thought you might like to investigate the possibility of some adaptations (within the red outlines in attachments) as raised in the various tweets in the linked twitter exchanges:-

NavyLookout
@NavyLookout

·
8h
Latest article:

Patrol boats for the Royal Navy Gibraltar Squadron

https://savetheroyalnavy.org/patrol-boa ... -squadron/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Butterworth
@ShippingButters
·
7h
When I Commanded @HMS_Pursuer
in Cyprus, we found you achieved much better weapon arcs by mounting both GPMGs on the flying bridge, either side, rather than having one on the focsle. The main problem was water temperature and spurious engine alarms, an issue no doubt fixed now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NavyLookout
@NavyLookout
Replying to
@ShippingButters
@HMS_Pursuer
and
@chris_eud
This is Raider (2012) fully toolled up in Faslane with Bridge GMPG brackets attached externally
2:19 pm · 19 Jun 2020·TweetDeck
Ea4LwlVXkAAZZZx.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Brit
@TheBrit96
·
5h
Replying to
@NavyLookout
@ShippingButters
and
@HMS_Pursuer

Ea4esvlWoAEyyId.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Thank you very much Harry , the Kevlar panels answers another question as I couldn't work out what it was [ thought it was solar panels at first but noted they were the wrong colour :oops: ]

Well tomorrow is basin trials and I hope to get some video if I can or at least some photos .

Very Grateful Harry for your interest and as always accurate info :)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
ivorthediver

E9C81509-7A63-4219-93CA-032BBA1AF43F_1_201_a.jpeg

Well today went very well and the trials were successful , and proved that it needs a larger engine [ you will recall that the motor I was given many moons ago is available in two versions =1/ a 5 pole. 5000rpm
2/ a 12 pole 12000 rpm
so it would seem that I was given the 5 pole , but fortunately the case is the same so merely a case of unbolting and replacing with the higher rpm @ £15 extra to the free one given .

She handled very well and literaly turned in her own length due to the Kort ducting ;)

I did do a video but cant remember how to put it on YouTube :oops: , and to make matters worse have not found how to take video and convert to stills successfully :oops:....still at least it worked :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Well in my attempt to encourage her to travel less like a tug and more like a patrol boat I bought a different version of the free 775 , 5 pole motor only to open another can of worms :(
The replacement is another 775 motor but a 12 pole version and what decided me to do this was on its last outing it seemed to be going well then went faster then stopped dead [ and as luck would have it no tug to recover it :twisted: :twisted:

When she drifted eventually to the far side due to the quite high wind that day I could see that she still had power and then looking closer I found that she had blown the 15 amp fuse fitted on the power supply line to the motor and she had stopped as the prop shaft had seized up and despite the lock nuts both ends of the prop shaft was solid !

Checked everything back home and wondered why or if the ESC [ Electronic Speed Controller] was man enough for the different motor :roll:

Not understanding the "Poles" or the significants I wondered what had caused it , but the current one has no control of the speed of the motor which [ now freed] runs flat out :roll:
So for the time being although I now have a sound system , I have no controllable speed of the motor :oops:
Enquiries will be made but tomorrow its back to the brute on the lake and the Tug will await revenue to pay for refits :cry:
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

I hope the forthcoming Strategic Defence Review finds the available funds for the refit Ivor. If not, you can always try GoFundMe ;-)

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Well so much for the Lady Karen funding the refit as today was her turn for problems tis true to say ..... :oops:

Took her out for the first time since Christmas and the starboard engine was working fine so went further down range than I normally do and she seemed to be taking a while to motor back and so I decided that having been out and cursing for 3/4 hour I would bring her in and as she came nearer I had trouble navigating her on her two 540 motors and once berthed in her "dock" lifted her out with the help of a friend only to be treated with the dreaded smell of hot Bakelite which was very strong .

On opening her up I could see that the starboard motor had part melted :o ......but the prop shaft could still be turned by hand :evil: .

It would seem that the cooling fan that was fitted to / above this motor had failed and the motor overheated .

When I returned home and removed the motor the rear casing of the motor[ built of plastic] had melted and the adjacent cooling fans power supply lead had detached from the fan :o .

Never rains but it pours would seem :roll:
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

You must be cursing your luck Ivor. Looks like things are not made to last these days, so hope you are able to resolve the problem at not too much cost.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

jbryce1437 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:14 pm You must be cursing your luck Ivor. Looks like things are not made to last these days, so hope you are able to resolve the problem at not too much cost.

Jim
Thanks Jim , I have managed to find another replacement motor in the TUG [ from a different supplier] that will match the existing Portside motor , and they seem confident that it should be with me by the weekend :roll:.... fingers crossed..... and the cost is quite reasonable from them
Last edited by ivorthediver on Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ivorthediver

As far as the suppliers are concerned I have finally heard from them via email and they have offered to replace the defective units , but knowing them I won't hold my breath to long . :roll: .....time will tell .

Then the time consuming jobs of "shoe horning" the equipment back inside the forward part of the hull and testing it all out prior to basin trails ensuring that all signal wiring runs are as far apart as practical and minimising signal interference from the motor and power supply leads to other items onboard .
ivorthediver

Well it seems doomed to fail using this vac formed hull as indeed It has proven , I have had three goes at preventing water ingress into this conglomerate of hulls which has cost me an arm and a leg in repairs / strip downs / rebuilds , new parts , new electrical equipment , so decided to scrap the hull and build something new , so I have removed everything useful from the hull .

I dont quit easily but four strip downs [ yes I know but did another last week and when it went up the lake at the weekend ended up bailing out a cup full of water From between three bulkheads] cutting out sections of the hull and repainting after pouring resin into the hull and respraying again.... is a record even for me :oops: .

You will recall at the outset I dislike Vac Hulls , based on earlier experience with this format , so binned the hull .

I have purchased some timber and decided to make another model in wood ........Which I should have done in the first place :roll: .....live and learn......... Huh........ tell it to the marines .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”