HMS Charger P292 Archer class Patrol boat

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
ivorthediver

Re: HMS Charger P292 Archer class Patrol boat

Unread post by ivorthediver »

:idea: Well if I knew where the shipyard was , and if I could carry my iMac and printer , and find a power supply at the shipyard [ without getting nabbed for espionage,.. I might add ]. then I might be tempted after lockdown is eased :(
.......So in the meantime to defer divorce proceedings I will go via this route , but only because of your kindness and willingness to help me Harry ...... :oops:

The original hull scale size was 3/4" to the foot I'm told.... so at 70mm ....that could prove interesting [ always assuming I can find my scale rules ] so it may be down to the MK 1 Eyeball circa 1946 :o and if it looks right it will be right :lol:

Ah well back to work
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

ivorthediver wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:05 am :idea: Well if I knew where the shipyard was , and if I could carry my iMac and printer , and find a power supply at the shipyard [ without getting nabbed for espionage,.. I might add ]. then I might be tempted after lockdown is eased :(
.......So in the meantime to defer divorce proceedings I will go via this route , but only because of your kindness and willingness to help me Harry ...... :oops:

The original hull scale size was 3/4" to the foot I'm told.... so at 70mm ....that could prove interesting [ always assuming I can find my scale rules ] so it may be down to the MK 1 Eyeball circa 1946 :o and if it looks right it will be right :lol:

Ah well back to work
Re;
1. Well if I knew where the shipyard was = that place/area/room/back garden where-in the model P292 is being constructed!

2. if I could carry my iMac and printer , and find a power supply at the shipyard - if viewing the saved images on the iMac to aid the build, there is surely no need for a printer - I presume the iMac has a fairly long lasting battery so also no need to source a power supply for iMac.
Little h
ivorthediver

Update :
Finished off the fitting of the hatch covers ,and sanded the hull lightly to remove some blemishes .

Applied some filler to areas near the stern to beef the vacuum formed hull as it was very flimsy and soft to the touch , better safe than sorry .

Whilst the filler was hardening I fitted a bulwark above the Engine Room on the main deck , and then took some tentative steps at drawing up the superstructure and sorting out materials to fabricate such.

I hadn't appreciated that both the port and starboard sides of the superstructure had sandwich tanks fitted :roll: so that's going to be a drama aligning the inner and outer skins which form these tanks which I assume are water or waste water tanks and drain ports are visible on the lower section of these tanks on the outer skin .
ivorthediver

Well slowly beginning to take shape..... but along way off yet ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Its looking good Ivor, hope you have a big White Ensign to fly from her ;-)

Jim

IMG_3002wnsf.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Well another good day working on detail's on the bridge but I 'm stuck :(

Can either of you help me please :?: Jim or Harry :idea:

1/On the bridge there is a form of " siting" compass behind the Coxwain on a separate stand partway between the rear of his seat and the rear step's down to the aft deck , but I have no idea what it looks like other than a small box that looks like a box camera on a swivel base with a short protective rail around it on top of a round pillar [ can you help me with a picture please] .
2/ the anchor winch just aft of the bow [ cant find a clear enough picture ]. any photo's or guesses please :?:

Incidentally Jim I have got an over scale ensign in my gash box that looks close enough :)
Little h

Don't know if these are any help
EO6rDpBWoAEapAj.jpg
EO6rDpEWsAAdu6M.jpg
EO-ZAdAX0AI6Rb_.jpg
EOgNgAkWkAE37cR.jpg

Source HMS Ranger on twitter
Little h
Little h

.... or maybe this one will help
EPYtINLX0AASFHx.jpg
Little h
ivorthediver

Again I am in your debt lads , thank you very much that will do nicely thank you .
ivorthediver

Well one isolated benefit of lockdown [pun intended] is the ability to progress with your interests [ for those of us who observe lockdown of course ]

As you will observe [ for those reaching for your zoom lens ] that whilst superficial progress can be made the detail will take a lot longer to complete and get to an acceptable finish .

On the other hand I was able to almost complete the Electrical installation of the Radio Control basics ......all of which aid the positioning of items yet to be fitted ......a lessen learnt the hard way over the years .

As luck would have it 90% of the materials used was as previously stated re-used from other projects , or collected from club members " clear outs" who no longer wished to continue , so this is without any doubt at all the cheapest project ever, and although having nothing but a picture to use... and the limitation of the donated hull..... it should present a reasonable representation of the intended vessel under construction

If all go's well I hope to be able to take it [unfinished of course ] down to the club Lake to check out its buoyancy characteristics and get a feel for her handling ability fairly soon , and depending on the outcome correct / remodel any aspects which require alteration .....
Thanks for looking in ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”