The 'Second' Battle of the Falklands

Add your posts and photographs about battles and other actions in this section
Pelican

Re: The 'Second' Battle of the Falklands

Unread post by Pelican »

'A majestically awful sight' - anniversary of the loss of HMS Antelope

This is the apocalyptic sight sailors, soldiers and Royal Marines in San Carlos Bay woke up to on May 24 1982: HMS Antelope torn apart by internal explosions.
In scenes reminiscent of Jutland seven decades earlier, the frigate was torn in two as her magazines detonated, the result of an unexploded Argentine bomb being triggered as bomb disposal experts tried to render it safe.
Continues at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... e-explodes
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Anniversary of Black Tuesday - loss of HMS Coventry and Atlantic Conveyor

These are the final moments of HMS Coventry, sunk this day in May 1982 – the last Royal Navy warship lost to enemy action.
Argentine forces chose their national day to make a supreme effort against the naval forces disgorging men and material at San Carlos.
To catch the incoming jets before they reached the more sheltered waters of Falkland Sound and San Carlos Water, HMS Broadsword and HMS Coventry were dispatched to waters off Pebble Island.
Continues at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... y-conveyor
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Yes David we had the privilege of meeting five of HMS Coventry's survivors whilst attending a celebration of "Victory Day 2019" on HMS Belfast ,with whom we spent a very enjoyable evening with and we witnessed a demonstration in the Art of how to divert supplies of "White Rum" from the masses to predetermined stores for later consumption [bless them after what they had been through they richly deserved ] and all
Executed with military procession and sleight of hand in a display of "Now you see it " ....what ...where ...not me Guv :roll: ....

As far as I could work out none of them were Cornish but all were Masters of their Craft , and apart from being inebriated had one of the best nights I can recall for many years due to our Honourable Tim's hard work , and his choice of venue and guests , and if ever you needed culture and education and humour in equal parts this was certainly the place to be ........truly memorable and despite this Karen and I navigated a safe passage back to our berth , even if it did take a while longer than the trip down to the Venue

Some of their recollections were spine chilling and had it not been for their collective professional ability the toll would have been higher , made you proud to be in the company of such a crew :oops:

Chris Howe MBE
Toby Owen
Anthony Reece
Dave Wood
Colin Kemp .............and of course the anonymous " smugglers" of the rum who I did not catch the names of :roll:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Photographs - Falklands

The following set of photographs were collected/taken by ex WO(CY) Rob Fuller. They are in a random order and may or may not have a caption. All credit goes to the original photographers.
(Click on an image to enlarge it and reveal any further information held.).
https://www.commsmuseum.co.uk/Courses%2 ... klands.htm
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

This is the day the guns fell silent in the Falklands after a brief but bitter conflict to liberate the remote South Atlantic island chain from Argentine occupation.
On this day in 1982, the demoralised conscripts of the Argentine Army marched into captivity, beaten by around 27,000 men and women deployed on Operation Corporate between early April and June 14.
A battle which began in earnest at the beginning of May with the sinking of the cruiser Belgrano ended in the islands’ capital with the Argentine commandant Mario Menéndez putting pen to paper on the act of surrender long after nightfall that Monday.
At 9.30pm, Royal Marines of Naval Party 8901 raised the Falklands flag outside Government House.
Victory in the Falklands cost Britain the lives of 252 men – 87 Royal Navy sailors, 26 Royal Marines, seven RFA crew, nine merchant seamen, 122 soldiers, and one RAF man.
Nearly 13,000 Argentinians fell into British hands; 655 of their comrades never came home.
The South Atlantic campaign cost the Royal Navy two destroyers (HMS Sheffield and Coventry) two frigates (Ardent and Antelope), amphibious support ship RFA Sir Galahad, Landing Craft Utility Foxtrot 4 and the merchantman Atlantic Conveyor.
In the Falklands, memorials would be erected in time at remote spots to those who gave their lives for the islanders’ freedom: at Sealion Island (HMS Sheffield), Pebble Island (Coventry), San Carlos (the landings of May 21) and more.
And today, as on every Liberation Day, islanders will give thanks to the men and women of 1982.

For photos see:
https://www.facebook.com/royalnavy/phot ... 166938205/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Seems like yesterday in some respects eh David , but time marches on , and hopefully lessens learned .....and with the possible dawn of another conflict not far off .....one wonders what if anything will become of these "Lessons" learnt .... as we go off to China to demonstrate our resolve on lawful passage on the worlds oceans , :roll: ....some how I'm not that confident on our reception there.... but hope I'm wong ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:09 pm Seems like yesterday in some respects eh David , but time marches on , and hopefully lessens learned .....and with the possible dawn of another conflict not far off .....one wonders what if anything will become of these "Lessons" learnt .... as we go off to China to demonstrate our resolve on lawful passage on the worlds oceans , :roll: ....some how I'm not that confident on our reception there.... but hope I'm wong ;)
Yes but at what cost Ivor, e.g. PTSD?
But at least lessons were learnt not least ship design.
Lessons still to be learnt by the MOD if this is proposed let alone implemented in the R.N.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... mRMQ_o8Ag0
Further east the US and Commonwealth may hold the line for a while but they will have to put their thinking caps on regarding the future. However, the Chinese may be wary of sinking a nuclear powered ship, e.g. the US carriers, due to 'the fall out' whatever that might be?
Makes one wonder how much either side know about the whereabouts of the others subs.
No reports - yet - of Chinese subs. in the Atlantic.

See also:
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/so ... np1taskbar
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:09 pm Seems like yesterday in some respects eh David , but time marches on , and hopefully lessens learned .....and with the possible dawn of another conflict not far off .....one wonders what if anything will become of these "Lessons" learnt .... as we go off to China to demonstrate our resolve on lawful passage on the worlds oceans , :roll: ....some how I'm not that confident on our reception there.... but hope I'm wong ;)
P.S. Things may change in the future, see attached pdf Ivor.
If China's exports are reduced they will have another think and come up with in addition to the Belt and Road project what?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

In weather worthy of the islands they were honouring – wind, cold, rain – sailors from HMS Raleigh joined Falklands veterans on Plymouth Hoe for a double commemoration.

Article + photos at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... on-the-hoe
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:53 pm In weather worthy of the islands they were honouring – wind, cold, rain – sailors from HMS Raleigh joined Falklands veterans on Plymouth Hoe for a double commemoration.

Article + photos at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... on-the-hoe
Keep scrolling thru to the Falklands Bench at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... on-the-hoe
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Battles, other Actions and Naval History”