The 'Second' Battle of the Falklands

Add your posts and photographs about battles and other actions in this section
timlewin

Re: The 'Second' Battle of the Falklands

Unread post by timlewin »

indeed, i followed this daily, TTL would phone me most evenings for a chat. It is still incredible that some people still consider the sinking of Belgrano a questionable act. The reality is that the loss of life was greatly magnified by the mishandling of the rescue by the Argentine Navy, but if that May day had been customarily windy, it might well have been us that lost a large ship, very possibly Hermes?
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout

Museum in the Falkland Islands to be extended and enhanced.
The 14th June 2022 will mark 40 years since the 1982 Falklands War ended. It is hoped the Lookout Gallery & Exhibition Hall will be opened in time for the 40th anniversary commemorations next year. This building will tell the story of 1982 and the Task Force sent to liberate the Islands from Argentine occupation (as well as tell other stories relating to our history). The museum will be a learning institution consisting of permanent and temporary exhibits and interactive displays.
Visitors will be able to witness the 1982 Conflict through dramatic audio and visual presentations as well as displays of poignant artefacts.
A Sea Harrier and Lynx helicopter, as well as a Phantom and Search and Rescue Sea King will also be displayed within.
£1.2million has been raised and they really hope that the public will help reach the target of £1.7million.
https://falklands-museum.com/fundraising
https://www.facebook.com/FIMNT/
See photos at:
https://www.facebook.com/NavyLookout/ph ... 9900974722
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Scarves for Falklands Veterans

Join and be gifted a scarf in SAM colours. Make sure you answer the questions to join.
Our group is all about Scarves for Falklands war Veterans and their families (including the fallen) in the colours of their South Atlantic Medal ribbon.
The scarves are made by hand with love, gratitude and care, to recognise the sacrifice and selflessness of our Veterans and fallen.
There are no waiting lists - too much pressure on scarf makers, who use this pattern to make the scarves - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1263590410655591/files
It's as easy as this: when there are scarves available, we will let you know. The post will be open for a limited time and a name will be chosen at random.
Our scarves are a gift for a veteran. We just ask for the postage and packaging to be covered.
We support Falklands Veterans Foundation (Liberty Lodge) Charity. If you wish to donate to FVF please do.
You must answer the membership questions to join the group.
3,378 total members
+ 304 in the last week
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Remembrance

P.S.
Plans revealed for 'landmark' commemorations to mark 40th anniversary of the Falklands War

CIVIC leaders have vowed to stage a ‘landmark’ commemoration to mark the 40th anniversary of the Falklands conflict next year.
Continues at:
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defen ... zuw2jwc_nk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

FORTH PATROLS PARADISE ON TEN-DAY ENVIRONMENTAL MISSION TO SOUTH GEORGIA

One of the main efforts of Forth’s visit was to land Explosive Ordnance Disposal technicians led by Sergeant Bethany Bray from the Royal Logistics Corps.

Their mission was to locate and deal with leftover historical munitions, in this case from the conflict in 1982.

The island was the first place occupied by Argentine forces in March 1982… and the first place liberated by British forces the following month, following a naval bombardment of the hills around Grytviken and an assault by Special Forces and Royal Marines which led to a rapid surrender by the occupiers.

Nearly 40 years later and the disposal team, accompanied by Petty Officer ‘Cat’ Stephens and Able Seaman El-leigh Neale, returned to the scene of the barrage on the hills above Grytviken where they found rocket motors which could have posed a hazard to the British Antarctic Survey scientists who work there year-round, or to the seals, seabirds and penguins who call the island home.

Full article and more photos at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... h-paradise
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ROYAL NAVY

On this day in 1982, the Royal Navy lost its first ship in its ultimately successful attempt to liberate the Falkland Islands from the brief occupation by the Argentine junta.
Twenty men lost their lives when Type 42 destroyer HMS Sheffield – ‘Shiny Sheff’ – was struck by an Exocet missile while on picket duty protecting the Operation Corporate task force from air attack.
The fires which subsequently ravaged the destroyer ultimately led to her foundering six days later despite valiant salvage efforts. She was the first RN ship lost to enemy action since 1945.
Her fallen are honoured on numerous memorials to the 1982 conflict but most poignantly on Sea Lion Island in the Falklands – the nearest land to where she was hit on May 4 1982 – where a cross on a hilltop cairn looks out over the expanse of the South Atlantic.
It is maintained by sailors from the Falklands guardship, HMS Forth, and any other RN vessel which visits the remote British territory.
Today we remember the men of 'Shiny Sheff' who made the ultimate sacrifice:
LT CDR D I BALFOUR
POCK R FAGAN
LT CDR J S WOODHEAD
LCK A K WELLSTEAD
S/LT R C EMLY
LCK A MARSHALL
MAA B WELSH
LMEM(M) A J KNOWLES
WEA A C EGGINGTON
CK A C SWALLOW
WEA1 K R F SULLIVAN
CK D E OSBORNE
WEMN2 B J WALLIS
CK N A GOODALL
ACWEMN M TILL
CA D COPE
POWEM A R NORMAN
CK K J WILLIAMS
POMEM(M) D R BRIGGS
LAUNDRYMAN LAI CHI KEUNG

Photos at:
https://www.facebook.com/royalnavy/phot ... 367908205/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

John Tait - For those who might have served on HMS Sheffield in the Falklands, this letter may be of interest.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Ancre Somme Association - ON FACEBOOK

On 19th May 1982, the Special Air Service Regiment suffered a tragic loss when a Sea King helecopter crashed while cross-decking troops from HMS Hermes to HMS Intrepid during the Falklands conflict.
The Sea King had taken off from H.M.S. Hermes at dusk. The Aircraft was slightly over loaded but because it was short fight the pilot reduced his fuel load to lighten the helicopter.
At 300 ft the Sea King started it's decent towards H.M.S. Intrepid. those on board heard a thump, then another from the engine above them. The Sea King dipped once then dived . Within four seconds it hit the water. Some men were killed instantly and other knocked unconscious in the initial impact. Amazingly 9 men managed to scramble out of the open side door before the helicopter slipped below the waves. They were the only survivors.
Rescuers found bird feathers floating on the surface were the helicopter had impacted the water. It is thought that the Sea King was the victim of a bird strike. One theory is at the Sea King was hit by a Black Browed Albatross which has a 8 ft wing span. The SAS lost 18 men on this night. The regiment had not lost so many men at one tine since the end of the second world war. The accident also killed a member of the Royal Signals, Fleet Air Arm and the only RAF casualty of the war.
ROLL OF HONOUR:
A/CPL Raymond Ernest ARMSTRONG
A/SGT John Leslie ARTHY
A/WO1 Malcolm ATKINSON
A/CPL William John BEGLEY
A/SGT Paul Alan BUNKER
A/CPL Robert Allan BURNS
SGT Philip Preston CURRASS QGM
A/SGT Sidney Albert Ivor DAVIDSON
WOll Lawrence GALLAGHER BEM
A/SGT William Clark HATTON QGM
A/SGT William John HUGHES
A/SGT Philip JONES
L/CPL Paul Neville LIGHTFOOT
A/CPL Michael Vincent McHUGH
A/CPL John NEWTON
A/WOll Patrick O'CONNOR
CPL Stephen John SYKES
CPL Edward Thomas WALPOLE
Cpl Michael David LOVE DSM (Fleet Air Arm)
CPL Douglas Frank McCORMACK (Royal Signals)
FLT LT Garth Walter HAWKINS (RAF)
Today we remember them.
John 15:13
“𝔊𝔯𝔢𝔞𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔩𝔬𝔳𝔢 𝔥𝔞𝔱𝔥 𝔫𝔬 𝔪𝔞𝔫 𝔱𝔥𝔞𝔫 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔰, 𝔱𝔥𝔞𝔱 𝔞 𝔪𝔞𝔫 𝔩𝔞𝔶 𝔡𝔬𝔴𝔫 𝔥𝔦𝔰 𝔩𝔦𝔣𝔢 𝔣𝔬𝔯 𝔥𝔦𝔰 𝔣𝔯𝔦𝔢𝔫𝔡𝔰”
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

What a tragic loss of life to nature :shock:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Today we remember those who sailed into the jaws of hell on this day in 1982, for their courage and self-sacrifice ensured the liberation of the Falkland Islands.

SEE:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... 8canqwKUAY
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Battles, other Actions and Naval History”