The 'Second' Battle of the Falklands

Add your posts and photographs about battles and other actions in this section
Pelican

The 'Second' Battle of the Falklands

Unread post by Pelican »

Remembering H.M.S. Ardent.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Re: The 'Second' Battle of the Falklands

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Yes all to quickly forgotten eh David , but some say its part of a natural healing process in life , but not an excuse to forget them
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy

Thirty-eight years ago today, the operation to liberate the Falklands moved into its decisive phase as the ground campaign began.
After sailing from the UK, the task group began putting Royal Marines and soldiers ashore at San Carlos, a remote bay on East Falkland, with the ultimate goal of seizing the capital Stanley, 50 miles away.
HMS Ardent was one of the outer screen of ships attempting to shield the landings from air attack, a succession of direct hits and near misses left the Type 21 a blazing, twisted mess.
22 men died on HMS Ardent – the heaviest loss of life of any RN vessel in the conflict.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:37 am Royal Navy

Thirty-eight years ago today, the operation to liberate the Falklands moved into its decisive phase as the ground campaign began.
After sailing from the UK, the task group began putting Royal Marines and soldiers ashore at San Carlos, a remote bay on East Falkland, with the ultimate goal of seizing the capital Stanley, 50 miles away.
HMS Ardent was one of the outer screen of ships attempting to shield the landings from air attack, a succession of direct hits and near misses left the Type 21 a blazing, twisted mess.
22 men died on HMS Ardent – the heaviest loss of life of any RN vessel in the conflict.
4 photos in Preview hence remainder.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:39 am

Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:40 am
Pelican wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:39 am

designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

On this day 38 years ago the frigate ARDENT was lost to a Argentine air strike. One gun and ? SAMs do not a good air defense make. It looks like RN and U$N still build units that way tho............. :o No lessons from WW 2 have been retained for warship design??? DFO
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS FORTH HONOURS 1982 HEROES WITH ANNIVERSARY TRIBUTE IN THE FALKLANDS
22 May 2020

HMS Forth commemorated the sacrifices made 38 years ago to the day at the scene of the amphibious landings during the Falklands War of 1982.

Under the cover of darkness on May 21, 1982, the British Amphibious Task Group advanced into San Carlos Bay, where soldiers and Royal Marines came ashore and the ground campaign to re-take the islands began.

That attempt prompted an all-out response and frigates HMS Ardent and HMS Antelope were sank – the latter famously blew up as experts tried to defuse an unexploded bomb.

On the 38th anniversary, Forth – the Falkland Islands Patrol Vessel – followed in the wake of the heroes of that day to commemorate the sacrifices made.

Continues with photos at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... ds-tribute
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

RALEIGH REMEMBERS SAILOR WHO DIED IN THE FALKLANDS
22 May 2020

A wreath has been laid on Plymouth Hoe to remember a 20-year-old sailor who lost his life during the Falklands campaign and whose name lives on at HMS Raleigh.

Acting Steward Shaun Hanson, who hailed from Sheffield, was one of 22 sailors who died when the Plymouth based Type 21 frigate HMS Ardent, was attacked and sunk in San Carlos Waters, on 21 May 1982. Some 32-years later HMS Raleigh opened a new training division for recruits and named it Hanson in honour of Shaun.

Lieutenant Daley Murray, Hanson Divisional Training Officer said: “Our training divisions are traditionally named after inspirational naval figures. When Raleigh was looking for a name for the new division, the team wanted someone who the trainees could relate to and who demonstrated the core values we instil in the recruits, of courage, commitment, discipline, respect, integrity and loyalty. Shaun Hanson was the ideal candidate and as a division we are very proud of our association with him. So far he has inspired approximately 2,000 new sailors in the six years the division has been open.”

Shaun achieved his ambition to join the Royal Navy in March 1981. Less than a year after passing-out of HMS Raleigh he was serving his country on board his first ship, HMS Ardent. The ship was part of the Task Group sent to the Falklands after the Argentinean invasion.

Continues with photos at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... -falklands
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy

Sailors in San Carlos Water woke up on May 24 1982 – 38 years ago – HMS Antelope torn apart by internal explosions.

The frigate was torn in two as her magazines detonated, the result of an unexploded Argentine bomb being triggered as bomb disposal experts tried to render it safe.

The previous day, the she had come under ferocious air attack as she stood guard at the entrance to San Carlos.

One Argentine aircraft was shot down – striking the main mast – while two 1,000lb bombs buried themselves in the ship; they failed to explode, but did kill Std Mark Stephens.

Bomb disposal experts tried to disarm the explosives, one of the bombs detonated, killing S/Sgt Jim Prescott and seriously injuring one of his colleagues. Resulting in explosions that broke Antelope’s back and eventually settling on the San Carlos sea bed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Battles, other Actions and Naval History”