The 'Second' Battle of the Falklands

Add your posts and photographs about battles and other actions in this section
Pelican

Re: The 'Second' Battle of the Falklands

Unread post by Pelican »

Abandon Ship – Book Review

Maritime historian, Dr Paul Brown recently published Abandon Ship described as “The real story of the sinkings in the Falklands War”. This is an engaging, if rather an uncomfortable book, based more on written and documentary evidence than personal experiences which informs much of the Falklands conflict literature.

This book is essentially about failure. The war in 1982 has inspired an enormous volume of literature but this is a rather unique and fairly dispassionate work focusses on a series of disasters. Published just one year short of the 40th anniversary of the conflict, unpicking events in an attempt to understand the truth and learn lessons is a valuable exercise but is sure to stir up controversy, especially when the majority of those that served in the conflict are still with us. The book skilfully pulls together Freedom Of Information requests (FOI), the Board of Enquiry (BOI) reports and previously published personal testimonies very well. For those already very familiar with the details of the conflict, there is not a huge amount that is really new. The RN BOI reports are freely available online and most of the stories of the ships that were lost have been covered in-depth in books published in the last decade or so. The photographs included in the book are mostly familiar but the detailed maps of each action are very useful.

Continues at - https://www.navylookout.com/abandon-shi ... NevpH9giGg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

UPGRADE TO PORTSMOUTH FALKLANDS MEMORIAL SITE

Hi, my name is Barrie Jones and a proud member of the class of 82 Falklands war task force. I served on HMS Intrepid during the campaign.

Discussions have taken place with Portsmouth City Council, Heritage England and the Australia society regarding two projects being put together in time for the 40th anniversary of the Falklands war.

It is hoped to install a second memorial tablet on the wall at the current Old Portsmouth memorial that will list the remaining 128 names - this will then have all 258 names of those service personnel and 3 Falkland Islander ladies killed during the war

The second project is the installation of two memorial benches, one is a standard Falklands bench, the other is to be a bespoke design in memory of HMS Fearless landing craft LCU F4 and her crew. Placement of these benches will be behind the current Old Portsmouth Falklands Memorial site, under cover and facing the sea.

I can advise that permission for both projects to proceed has been given.

Any donations given will be most graciously and respectfully received. Any funds over and above our target left over after all bills paid will be donated to FVF Liberty Lodge.

Thank you in advance for your generosity and support.

See - https://www.gofundme.com/f/memorial-ben ... e=customer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

UPGRADE TO PORTSMOUTH FALKLANDS MEMORIAL SITE

Current total raised is £1325.00
Thank you for your donations and support to date.
Please consider a donation be it a penny or s pound. Thank you

See - https://www.gofundme.com/f/memorial-ben ... e=customer
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

How the British navy used improvised aircraft carriers to recapture remote South Atlantic territory

The Royal Navy in 1982 faced a galling problem as it prepared to take back the Falkland Islands from Argentinian forces that had seized it that March: not enough aircraft carriers.

These were needed to launch air strikes on Argentinian forces on the islands, to deploy helicopters to patrol for Argentinian submarines and land troops and supplies, and launch jets to intercept attack by the Argentinian land-based fighters certain to swarm the British task force.

The Royal Navy could muster only eight Sea Harrier jump jets and 12 Sea King helicopters on the carrier Invincible — which had been on the verge of being sold to Australia! — and another 12 Sea Harriers and 20 Sea Kings on the larger Hermes.

As hostilities broke out late in April, the Harriers rapidly proved immensely valuable, shooting down 20 Argentine attack jets, but also sustained losses from ground fire and accidents.

Continues, including photos, at - https://www.businessinsider.com/british ... &r=US&IR=T - Plenth of scrolling down.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Came across this video by accident:

Forces News
"It was a communications chaos... It was a classic lack of inter-service training beforehand."
Michael Clapp was the Commodore in charge of the amphibious landings in the Falklands War and his task was to land 3 Commando Brigade safely ashore.
He shared his memories of the conflict and how the landing unfolded.

See - https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1075100813015307
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

From the H.M.S. Ganges Facebook Group - By John Wilkinson

Forty years ago on 2nd April1982 we went to war with Argentina over the possession of a few islands in the South Atlantic, The Falklands, which lasted until 14th June of the same year. The Argentine forces lost 649 , and we lost 255 of which 86 were RN and 27 RM. The Argentinians lost over 300 on the Cruiser General Belgrano when it was sunk by HMS Conqueror. It was a senseless war brought on by politicians with the hope of political preservation by the under-pressure president Leopoldo Galtieri. A few years ago a friend of mine was working in Tierra del Fuego at the southernmost tip of Argentina, where she discovered a small museum dedicated to the Argentinian veterans of the war, She met some of these veterans, some of whom were only sixteen years old at the time they were enlisted into an ill-equipped army, They had no idea of what was happening during the fighting, and were led to believe they were winning the war, so had no idea of the truth until they returned home. The veterans have a reunion every year with no politicians or political speeches allowed. My friend said they held no malice towards the RN or the UK but were bitter in regards to their politicians who sent them on a fool's errand. As ex RN myself, I hope all seamen lost in conflict rest in peace and that they never have to go through such futile wars ever again. The picture is of my friend in the centre and is surrounded by veterans of the war.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

2022 will be the 40th anniversary of the Falklands War.

BBC archive footage and interview with Maj Gen Julian Thompson RM, commander 3 Commando Brigade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS4mTxlsYSM&t=66s
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

UK DEPLOYED 31 NUCLEAR WEAPONS DURING FALKLANDS WAR

British warships deployed to the South Atlantic after Argentina’s invasion of the Falkland Islands in 1982 were armed with dozens of nuclear depth charges. Prince Andrew served on HMS Invincible, which carried 12 nuclear weapons.

See - https://declassifieduk.org/uk-deployed- ... lands-war/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

40TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE FALKLANDS WAR

Please see attached and note the email address at bottom right.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

£15k fundraising drive for memorial to HMS Sheffield in time for 40th anniversary of her loss

Veterans of HMS Sheffield are looking to raise £15,000 in just a couple of months – in time to install a memorial on the 40th anniversary of the loss of the destroyer.
Four decades after the Shiny Sheff was fatally hit by an Argentine missile, the men who served in three Royal Navy ships to bear the steel city’s names intend to create a focal point in the UK to meet and pay their respects.

The HMS Sheffield Association – formed nearly 50 years ago to represent sailors of the WW2 cruiser, then the Type 42 and most recently the Type 22 frigate, built to replace the Falklands loss – has already had a scale model of the monument designed.

Artist Peter Naylor has designed a stainless-steel bow of a warship, suitably engraved and set in a cast stainless steel dark, rough sea.

If the association hits its target in time, Mr Noble’s maquette will be turned into a full-sized monument to anyone who served in the three ships, which will be erected at the National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire.

A cross and memorial cairn already stand to the Shiny Sheff in the Falklands, rising above Sea Lion Island – the closest land to the spot where the destroyer was hit. It’s remote, even by Falklands standards, but is regularly maintained by RN personnel based in the South Atlantic.

Continues at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... -sheffield
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Battles, other Actions and Naval History”