What does Victory mean?

Add your posts about the Canadian Navy in this section
timlewin

What does Victory mean?

Unread post by timlewin »

This is from Rolfe Monteith, Captain RCN, and a dear friend. He speaks for those who cannot speak for themselves. We were never alone, we had Canada, and the Commonwealth. There is nothing I can add to this, he says it all.

“We must be prepared for losses”

Greetings,

Britain is planning to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the end of World War 2 in Europe. It has come to my attention that the Queen is scheduled to address the nation on that day - 8 May. With this moment in history approaching, I reflect on my 4 years involved in that epic struggle and sadly recall those who paid the ultimate price.
Bear with me in highlighting just a few of these - particularly schoolmates and shipmates.

1. Arthur Kelly - Peggy's brother lost aboard HMS Glorious when she was sunk off Norway on 8 June 1940. Peggy claimed that Arthur's loss was connected with the King of Norway's escape to Britain following the German invasion. This conspiracy theory continues to be the subject of research to this day.

2. Cousin Charlie Monteith - a bomber pilot serving in RAF XV Squadron - shot down over the North Sea with no known grave.

3. My 5 schoolmates from Clinton Ontario - all serving in the Air Force - 3 were air gunners. One John Hawkins was a navigator in RCAF 405 Squadron in East Anglia. Back in Clinton John Hawkins was the brilliant ice hockey goalkeeper in the Ontario Junior championship team of 1940/41. But in Britain on 17 August 1943 Rolfe unexpectedly visited John's bomber base to deliver an engagement ring which had come from John's mother in Canada. At the main gate Rolfe was advised that the base was in lockdown because the aircrew had been briefed on that night's operations - so Flying Officer Hawkins was not available. After much discussion and persuasion and with RAF personnel listening to ensure that security was not breached, Rolfe and John were permitted to have a 3 minute telephone conversation. John said, "What a pleasant surprise, the ring is so important. I will arrange for you to sleep in my bunk and we will have breakfast together in the morning - am off to do my duty".
As history records John Hawkins never returned nor was his aircraft ever found. At the Runnymede Air Force Memorial Flying Officer John Hawkins - no known grave.
Weeks later the Germans found the pilot's body in the English Channel - at least it is known where the aircraft is. From research it can be revealed that the attack on 17 August 1943 was against the secret German rocket research base at Peenemunde - the birthplace of the V1 and V2 rockets. Rolfe's memoirs will enlarge on this very tragic saga and the engagement ring finale.

And 4. 11 of my shipmates lost aboard HMS Hardy when she was torpedoed in the Arctic in January 1944.

At 1100 GMT on 8 May I will be silent remembering especially those referred to above.

It would be most fitting if if all addressees would somehow join me during the day in whatever part of the world to raise a glass to honour the fallen in World War 2.

Yours aye, Rolfe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Re: What does Victory mean?

Unread post by ivorthediver »

I hope he found the solace he searched for Tim , and with it contentment :)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Canadian Navy”