VE Day 75

Honour our War Dead here and post your photos of your local Remembrance Day events
Pelican

Re: VE DAY 75

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:11 pm H.M.S. BELFAST TODAY - Please see attached.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Re: VE DAY 75

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:17 pm
Pelican wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:14 pm
Pelican wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:11 pm H.M.S. BELFAST TODAY - Please attached.
Some more.
P.S. Photos posted on behalf of Tim.
Where is TIM David , all right I hope :o
Tim is fine Ivor but busy so cannot post photos from his iPhone.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Re: VE Day 75

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Ok and thanks David , glad he's alright .
Brilliant coverage on the BBC don't you think , certainly reminded me of some of the post war scenes as a child ...... :oops:

Tim"s post on this topic was very well received , just a shame that the cock up on the Forum happened at the same time and had trouble finding my way around the Forum to appreciate it and its contents
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

THE FEW OF THE FEW – NAVAL AVIATORS IN THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN
20 August 2020
Eight minutes to four on the afternoon of August 20 1940. The weather in southern England this Tuesday was autumnal: cool, windy, with intermittent showers.

It ruled out major actions by the German Air Force, which was one week into its onslaught against the British homeland.

For the past hour MPs had filled the Parliamentary chamber. Even during the greatest threat Britain had faced since Napoleon, democracy functioned largely as normal.

For a little over an hour, politicians had debated a raft of issues affecting their people and their nation in wartime: the Home Guard, overtime payments, the export of coffee from neutral lands to Germany, dealing with conscientious objectors, the employment of miners, and the rationing of plums, not to mention civil defence – protecting homes from the hail of bombs raining down on Britain day after day.

The daily business now gave way to the prime minister and an update on the war.

Winston Churchill would be on his feet for 48 minutes, as he informed fellow MPs of Britain’s military situation. “Our Navy is far stronger than it was at the beginning of the war," he assured his audience. There were now more than two million men under arms. Britain was now a fortress island. Its factories churned out war material as never before. Any German attempt to set foot in the mother country would be met with fire and fury. “The whole Island bristles against invaders, from the sea or from the air.”

Continues, including photos of FAA pilots at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... gG_YfE3cu0

[Post here to avoid starting another thread.]
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

A photo P.S. to the above. I am trying ascertain if the 'flag hoist' shown on the 2nd mean anything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The flag hoist above spells out - England expects
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Remembrance Thread”