Richelieu Class Fast Battleships: Jean Bart

Add your posts about the French Navy in this section
DaveH

Re: Richelieu Class Fast Battleships: Jean Bart

Unread post by DaveH »

She was certainly an impressive ship . I think I posted before we berthed alongside her in Gib 1955 and she also led the force at Suez

I don't think she was ever used in anger but am I wrong ???
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

JEAN BART is reported to have fired a TOTAL of 4 15" rounds during the Suez fubar. That was the ONLY time her big guns were used "in anger". Only 1 turret (B?) was operational along with only 1 of the 6.1" turrets, IIRC. :o DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Thank you for the correction . I guess just the sight of her could have put the wind up the gypos. :)
designeraccd

Detail views of the handsome JEAN BART........... :D DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
designeraccd

RICHILIEU in the Brest roadstead, 1940......plus a nice overhead that shows off her hull shape..... :D To be complete, a nice color view of the finished JEAN BART.

This pair of 3ed gen. BBs seem-from what is written about them-to be as combat worthy a design as any of the WW2 era build battle wagons. Only slightly slower than the IOWAs and seemingly able to-in theory-take punishment like the IOWAs. Ballistically the French 380s, from what I have read, were very powerful heavy weapons. At any rate I sure would NOT care to be on the wrong end of those 14.96"/380 mm rounds!!!

At least RICHILIEU did fire her guns "in anger" during WW2. Her sister fired exactly 4 rounds from the operational B turret during the "Suez Operation" in 1956. Those were the ONLY 4 she ever fired in combat. Altho a very handsome BB when complete, those 4 rounds from JEAN BART were extremely expensive, so to speak... :o

See:
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNFR_15-45_m1935.php

DFO
designeraccd

JEAN BART loading troops and then steaming towards Cyprus to offload them before firing 4 rounds of 15" during the Suez Crisis of 1956. DFO
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Richelieu Class Battleship Jean Bart pictured in 1955.
designeraccd

Re: Battleships: Jean Bart

The JEAN BART in a drydock, 1970............. ;) DFO
designeraccd

JEAN BART test firing in Casablanca sometime before the Allied invasion in Nov., '42 Rare photo! :D Also a view of her surrounded by shell splashes during the assault! DFO
designeraccd

More from Casablanca with JEAN BART............ ;) DFO
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “French Navy”