Domes, Cones & Cylinder shaped sensors

Post here about equipment carried on ships
Little h

Re: Domes, Cones & Cylinder shaped sensors

Unread post by Little h »

Domes, Cones & Cylinder shaped sensors ... now we have Wedge shaped antenna - (AN/SLQ-17 continued)

A starboard view of the island of the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS ENTERPRISE (CVN-65)
CVN-65-photo-125 AN-SLQ-17 USS ENTERPRISE (CVN 65), 01011978.jpg

Source; Wiki
Attribution; Date 15 September 1990; Source DoDMedia; Author DON S. MONTGOMERY

I expect the port antenna array to be situated at the deck edge of the flight deck but as yet not found an image to verify that suspicion. The subsequent type AN/SLQ-32 (& variants) are so located.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Little h

Little h wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:46 pm Domes, Cones & Cylinder shaped sensors ... now we have Wedge shaped antenna - (AN/SLQ-17 continued -1)

A starboard view of the island of the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS ENTERPRISE (CVN-65)

I expect the port antenna array to be situated at the deck edge of the flight deck but as yet not found an image to verify that suspicion. The subsequent type AN/SLQ-32 (& variants) are so located.
...... but now I have found images to verify that suspicion
CVN-65-photo-109 Seaforces-online.jpg
CVN-65-photo-113 Seaforces-online.jpg
Source; Seaforces-online

Late edit; a brief description of the type.
Screenshot (5399).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Little h

Further to the posts relating to the Beehive ESM/ECM antenna on USS Enterprise CVN-65 and their subsequent removal along with the SCANFAR AN/SPS-32 & AN/SPS-33 in the United States Navy forum:-

-------------------------------
Little h wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:02 am
Brian James wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:00 am USS Enterprise,showing her original SCANFAR Phased Array System,c1964.
-------------------------------

.... and of course the so called 'Beehive' structure (said to be 3 storeys high); formed of multitudinous advanced Electronic Warfare ESM/ECM antenna arrays that surmounted the box shaped superstructure (Island) subsequently removed along with the AN/SPS-32 & AN/SPS33 antenna arrays.

------------------------------
before anyone asks, Nope; I have never tried to count them all :)
nor have I discovered the frequency range covered by the system :oops:

-----------------------------------

One wonders was the 'Beehive' structure - complete with all the antenna - preserved? .... if so, did it find a home in a Naval Museum somewhere in the USA? .... if not, IMO it was a perfect example of a feature that deserved to be preserved.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Well; just in case it wasn't preserved in a Naval Museum somewhere ...... I went out and bought a replacment array and fetched it home ;)

Screenshot (5536).png

Methinks I need to refer myself to a medical professional :oops: because having got my purchase home - and opened the bag containing these replacement vertical louvre blinds ...... the 'Beehive ESM array was the first think that came to mind :o :lol:
Little h
Little h

River Class OPV Batch II - HMS Medway (P223) - (a black cylinder observed on this class - previously observed on Type 23 frigates)

In the WNSF Post Refit/Conversions: Aerial Arrays - Considerable Variations thread - I had originally named this feature:- 'Top Hat' - but now in our new forum I favour the more descriptive name of... 'Stovepipe Topper'.
Screenshot (6523).png
(screenshot of WNSF archive page)

Observed on Medway (P223); mounted on the port side, near the fwd guardrail on the deck fwd of the bridge on Medway (P223) is this black cylinder with fluted rim at the base, see image in this link to a tweet that gives an indication of the location; also the following attachments:-
z EPCwZp_W4AAlpwV HMS Medway MOD Gibraltar.jpg
NavyLookout
@NavyLookout
z EPSQGfcWoAYGG8I HMS Medway in Gib 27.01.2020.jpg
Royal Navy
@RoyalNavy
z EPWX0zFX4AAROBV (3).jpg
HMS Medway
@HMS_Medway

(brightness & other elements have been adjusted)

stovepipe topper.png
- ' a stovepipe topper' ;)
Little h
Little h

River Class OPV Batch II - HMS Medway (P223) - (a black cylinder observed on this class - previously observed on Type 23 frigates) - (continued)

In the WNSF Post Refit/Conversions: Aerial Arrays - Considerable Variations thread - I had originally named this feature:- 'Top Hat' - but now in our new forum I favour the more descriptive name of... 'Stovepipe Topper'.

This post is included to help identify the precise location of this feature, that was installed on the ship prior to her being deployed to the Caribbean. The following attachment will allow for comparison with the 3rd attachment in the previous post.
DrkH5fdX0AAsaY7 Medway twitter copy.jpg
Source; HMS Medway @HMS_Medway
Little h
Little h

HMS Daring (D32) - Shaman CESM Antenna.

Further to the opening post; and the 3rd post on page two also on this thread see the following tweet from NavyLookout:-

NavyLookout
@NavyLookout

·
7h
.@HMSDaring
in newly refurbished number 14 dock @HMNBPortsmouth
which includes new caisson, sonar dome pit and huge new gantry crane.

Note: HMS Daring has already been fitted with new masthead CESM aerials

https://royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-lates

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I really must try to find some time to post some more of my observations of further deck-edge antenna seen in images of Shaman fitted Type 45's.
Little h
Little h

Little h wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:58 pm HMS Daring (D32) - Shaman CESM Antenna.

Further to the opening post; the 3rd post on page two (also on this thread) and the previous post see below the following attachments (captioned by me):-

HMS Daring in newly refurbished number 14 dock @HMNBPortsmouth
which includes new caisson, sonar dome pit and huge new gantry crane.

Note: HMS Daring has already been fitted with new masthead CESM aerials
(click on the attachments to enable clear viewing of same)
EbSEedlXkAEyGpE Daring D32 NavyLookout copy.jpg
EbMe9xIX0AEEyoU Daring D32 NavyLookout copy.jpg
Little h
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Ships/Boats Equipment”