F.A.A. 'Historical' Aircraft

Add your posts about the Naval Aircraft in this section
Pelican

F.A.A. 'Historical' Aircraft

Unread post by Pelican »

Fairey Barracuda: A WWII Torpedo Bomber Icon

The story of the Fairey Barracuda, an innovative British torpedo bomber, is deeply rooted in the stormy years of the Second World War. Born out of necessity in 1939, it came into existence as a visionary design responding to the British Air Ministry Specification S.24/37. This was an ambitious ask for a formidable torpedo bomber, capable of taking off from an aircraft carrier, able to withstand rigorous conditions, and destined to challenge enemy ships and submarines with unrelenting force.

Fairey Aviation, a pioneer in aircraft manufacturing, took the lead. Their solution was groundbreaking—a monoplane torpedo bomber. Years of relentless effort culminated in December 1940, when the inaugural Barracuda prototype prepared for its debut in the skies. This pivotal moment heralded a new era in military aviation, signaling the advent of a groundbreaking class of aircraft.

Continues, including photos and video, at - https://www.jetsprops.com/bombers/the-f ... gC8Hz2jRKU
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Re: F.A.A. 'Historical' Aircraft

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:48 pm Fairey Barracuda: A WWII Torpedo Bomber Icon

The story of the Fairey Barracuda, an innovative British torpedo bomber, is deeply rooted in the stormy years of the Second World War. Born out of necessity in 1939, it came into existence as a visionary design responding to the British Air Ministry Specification S.24/37. This was an ambitious ask for a formidable torpedo bomber, capable of taking off from an aircraft carrier, able to withstand rigorous conditions, and destined to challenge enemy ships and submarines with unrelenting force.

Fairey Aviation, a pioneer in aircraft manufacturing, took the lead. Their solution was groundbreaking—a monoplane torpedo bomber. Years of relentless effort culminated in December 1940, when the inaugural Barracuda prototype prepared for its debut in the skies. This pivotal moment heralded a new era in military aviation, signaling the advent of a groundbreaking class of aircraft.

Continues, including photos and video, at - https://www.jetsprops.com/bombers/the-f ... gC8Hz2jRKU
Update from Steve Bond:

Yes, a very interesting aeroplane; I have interviewed a couple of Barracuda aircrew. The sole surviving example is currently under very long term reconstruction in the FAA Museum, incorporating parts from a number of recovered wrecks. I was given a guided tour of it last June and they are making a superb job of it.

Steve
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Aircraft and Aircraft Squadrons of the Fleets”