RN Fleet Air Arm: General

Add your posts about the Naval Aircraft in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Fleet Air Arm: General

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:06 pm DRAGONFLYs

One from 706 Sqdn. another on display at Chatham Historic Dockyard [Thanks Tony W.]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

JUST SO YOU KNOW:

Dear all,
I regret to say that a storm has been broken on Twitter (to which I do not subscribe) concerning the title 'Fleet Air Arm Boys'. Started by a lady, two Admirals (one serving one retired) have now weighed in to support her view that the title is inappropriate and they have made comment that it "does not represent the Fleet Air Arm they know".
I have had a long discussion with John at Grub Street about this and we have discussed the facts:
The 'Boys' series is a long running one and changing the title would be detrimental to sales (not least bearing in mind that Navy Wings benefit from every copy they sell).
No female FAA members came forward to be included in Vol.1 despite my best efforts.
I have included a statement to that affect and a photograph of a female maintainer on Queen Elizabeth (with the Navy's permission) to support my clear recognition of their service.
I am now in contact with three ladies who are contributing to Volumes 2 and 3. Yes, the title issue was mentioned by one as a discussion point, but that was it.
Our suggestion is that for the next volume, the title will appear as Fleet Air Arm 'Boys' with a subtitle that reads along the lines of 'True tales from the men and women aircrew and maintainers...of the Fleet Air Arm'. Those to whom I have mentioned this are happy with the change.
I have received contributions to the series from ten people of Admiral rank, one of whom is currently serving; none have made negative comment about the title. Indeed, once the rationale has been explained, no-one has until now.
At John's request I have spoken to the Sun's defence correspondent and repeated all the above to him. There will be something in the paper about all this I believe, but I do not know when.
All I wanted to do was tell your story!
Just so you know.
Best regards
Steve
Dr Steve Bond PhD CEng FRAeS
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Martlet missile – the Wildcat helicopter gets its claws
In May 2020 the first successful firings of the Martlet (Lightweight Multi-role Missile) were made from a Wildcat helicopter. Are we look at the development of this weapon and the new airborne anti-surface capability this will give the Royal Navy.

Background
In response to the growing threat from manned and unmanned small craft swarms, especially in the Arabian Gulf, the RN issued a requirement for the Future Anti Surface Guided Weapon(Light) (FASGW(L)) in 2008. This was part of the programme to replace the Sea Skua light anti-ship missile in service with the Lynx helicopter (1982-2017). The FASGW(H) (Heavy) requirement is being met by the Anglo-French Sea Venom missile manufactured by MBDA (which we will examine in a future article).
Continues at:
https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/the-ma ... 2nk3bz1ioY

Note: All 28 of the RN’s aircraft will be fitted with wiring and mounts, although the weapon wings can easily be removed when not required.

[That should sort them out if necessary]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

FROM STEVE BOND - FAA BOYS UPDATE

Dear all,
Very many thanks to all of you who have responded about the Twitter issue over the name and for your supportive comments. We are putting all that behind us now and just getting on with it.
In fact we now have six female FAA people contributing to the books which is excellent, and there may be more yet.
Best
Steve
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

I wish him well with the project David . :)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy News
Hello Darkness, my old friend…

Veteran naval aviators celebrated the 50th birthday of one of the world’s oldest airworthy Sea Kings: XV666, known in the world of flight as Damien.

Five decades after the helicopter was rolled out of the Westland works in Yeovil, the veteran Sea King returned on a golden anniversary tour of the South West.

Damien – the nickname was added in the mid-70s after the character in the Omen horror films – spent two decades as a sub hunter, then was converted into a Mk5 for search and rescue duties and repainted in red and grey, 771 Naval Air Squadron’s trademark livery.

The helicopter clocked up more than 14,000 hours (more than 18 whole months) on sorties with the Fleet Air Arm, few more dramatic than the evening of July 7 2011 when Lt Cdr Mike Luscombe, Capt Martin Roskilly RM, Lt Tom Sawyer and Sgt Tony ‘Russ’ Russell RM responded to a mayday in a storm, 75 miles off the Isles of Scilly.

The team saved the lives of two crewmen from the stricken yacht Andriette; it was a rescue on the cusp of what was possible, so much so that Sgt Russell was awarded the George Medal for his outstanding bravery.

Damien retired from RN service in 2016, spent 12 months at HMS Sultan and then was resurrected by Portland-based HeliOperations.

They use the veteran helicopter to teach German Navy Sea King pilots maritime and search and rescue flying skills.
He flies on a regular basis thanks to the skill and dedication of HeliOperations’ engineers – many of whom worked on Damien throughout his long and outstanding Naval service.

He was spared those duties for one day to enjoy his birthday: a short hop from Portland to Yeovil and Leonardo helicopters, then on to Yeovilton, where one day he may become a permanent fixture with the Navy Wings collection of classic Fleet Air Arm aircraft, and back to Portland.

The day finished with a reception at base for invited guests who toasted him – at a distance, of course – with a glass of champagne and a slice of birthday cake.

Damien is joined at HeliOperations (who’ve replaced the red of 771 NAS with a distinctive orange livery) by another vintage Sea King, ZA166 (a mere 38 years old), named Dara in honour of Irish search-and-rescue flier Captain Dara Fitzpatrick.

Pictures: Navy Wings and Kevin Wills
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

National Museum of the Royal Navy

OnThisDay: 1st July 1914 – The Birth of RNAS

The Royal Flying Corps was established in 1912 with its Military Wing, Naval Wing and Central Flying School. As war loomed on the horizon, the Admiralty took control of the Naval Wing and on 1st July 1914 the Royal Naval Air Service was born.

Naval Air Stations were established around the coast of the UK to defend coastal cities against attack from the sea.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Confirmed: 849 Naval Air Squadron was disbanded in April (at least temporarily)
849 was supposed to be the dedicated CROWSNEST / Airborne Surveillance and Control squadron but this role will be absorbed into 820 NAS.
With just 30 Merlin Mk2 helicopters, airframes are in short supply.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

FAA BOYS - UPDATE:

Dear all,
I hope you are all keeping safe, and thought I should update you on where we are with FAA Boys.
The Volume 1 manuscript has now been "passed fit" by Grub Street, and the boss John Davies said: "Some really good stuff...you've found some excellent commentators. With photos it will be great!" They are now working on the page set-up to be followed shortly by inserting the photos (already chosen), so we are still on schedule for the October publication. Meanwhile, advance orders are going well - with many through Navy Wings I'm glad to say.
After a last-minute flurry of new material, I am now assembling Volume 2. Just about every fixed wing type is in there, both carrier and land based, so once again huge thanks to all of you. The challenge now is to keep within the word count limit while ensuring everyone is in there. As with Vol.1, you all will be, but I am sure you will appreciate that it is impossible to always include every single word you submitted. However, rest assured, the core of what you have sent remains in place. At this point, the biggest chapter in terms of word count is the AEW Gannet, closely followed by the Buccaneer and the Sea Vixen part 2.
A few of you have still to finish off your contributions for Vol.2 - please don't leave it too long or you may be squeezed out (or into Vol.3 if appropriate).
Best regards
Steve and Heather

[The photo came with the email - anyone recognise location?]
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose

‪Here’s the cockpit view of one of our Merlin Mk2 helicopters as students honed their submarine hunting skills yesterday.‬
‪824 Naval Air Squadron teaches student aircrew and engineers everything that they need to know before they move onto their frontline units.
School is certainly not out for the summer at Culdrose!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Aircraft and Aircraft Squadrons of the Fleets”