RN Fleet Air Arm: General

Add your posts about the Naval Aircraft in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Fleet Air Arm: General

Unread post by Pelican »

SEA FURY - AGAIN

Pilot is hurt as his 69-year-old Hawker Sea Fury plane crash lands in a field and smashes into a tree
The 69-year-old fighter was on a routine flight from Duxford aerodrome
The Hawker Sea Fury, which was built in 1951, crashed in Button End
The aircraft struck a tree and broke up as it attempted to land in a field
Fortunately, the pilot and passenger managed to escape without major injury

This dramatic photo shows the wreckage of a vintage British fighter plane after it crashed during a routine flight - leaving the pilot and a passenger injured.
The Hawker Sea Fury aircraft came down in a field at around 5.15pm on Tuesday, after having to make a forced landing, leading to the plane sustaining a fuel leak.
The shocking photo shows the serious damage to the front of the plane, which appears to have been severed in two by the cockpit as it seemingly struck a tree on its way down.
Continues at:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... fxvbPQ62xc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

well at least they can now collect all the bits .........love to know what caused the accident , and can imagine the tears shed when she did pancake .

To some it would be just a broken machine , but to the engineering staff who work on them they are living beings if they are anything like the enthusiasts that I used to assist at Duxford many years ago :cry: ........the rarer the more intense the feeling .....well as I say thats my opinion .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:20 pm well at least they can now collect all the bits .........love to know what caused the accident , and can imagine the tears shed when she did pancake .

To some it would be just a broken machine , but to the engineering staff who work on them they are living beings if they are anything like the enthusiasts that I used to assist at Duxford many years ago :cry: ........the rarer the more intense the feeling .....well as I say thats my opinion .
Eventually an A.A.I.B. report will be issued Ivor so its a case of watching that space or spotting media reports.
See - https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Thanks for that David . ,but with my memory it could be awhile :roll:
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

FAA Boys - HAS GONE TO PRESS

Dear all,
It has been a long and sometimes tortuous two and a half years, but I am delighted to announce that 'Fleet Air Arm Boys' Volume 1 is going to press today!
With our warmest thanks to you all for contributing and supporting the way you have. All we hope now is that you will enjoy reading it as much as we have enjoyed reading and hearing your fantastic stories.
Best regards - now where did I leave that corkscrew?
Steve and Heather
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

National Museum of the Royal Navy

Did you know that in 1951, 800 Naval Air Squadron was officially formed at RNAS Ford as the Royal Navy’s first operational jet fighter squadron?

They were to fly Supermarine Attacker aircraft which were equipped with Martin-Baker ejection seats and Rocket Assisted Take-off Gear (RATOG) which provided an extra boost to the jet engine.

The officers who flew these aircraft were very experienced pilots and all had done the long jet course at RNAS Culdrose’s Naval Jet Evaluation and Training Unit, flying Sea Vampires and Meteors. Four of them had already experienced the Attacker in its trials at the Naval Air Fighting Development Unit. The two least experienced pilots each had over 700 flying hours, having spent 18 months as Seafire pilots flying missions from HMS Triumph against Malayan terrorists and in the opening stages of the Korean War.

With this experience, the pilots lived up to the 800 Squadron motto, “Never Unprepared”, (“Numquam non paratus”).
ivorthediver

Tempus- Fugit Dave ;)
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:51 pm Tempus- Fugit Dave ;)
Don't you swear at me Ivor! Hopeless at languages. Only got as far as amo amas amat or something like that. :oops:
ivorthediver

dare not try the Crab fats one ...... something about a frenchman becoming a Star if I recall :roll:
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

FAA Boys volume 1 "virtual launch"

Dear all,

As most of you will remember, we had to cancel the planned public launch of 'Fleet Air Arm Boys' Vol.1 at Duxford for a number of reasons. Navy Wings, who are being hugely supportive (and benefitting from their sales), are planning a modest event in their hangar as a kind of "virtual launch" to promote both the book and themselves.

In late October, a few days before the publication date, a small number of invited contributors will be at Yeovilton to be interviewed on camera (by me) in front of an aircraft type with which they were associated. The interviews (more of a chat really) will be fairly short and interspersed with appropriate film clips from the Navy Wings archives. The finished film will be posted on the Navy Wings website, Facebook page, etc. Attending are a pilot, observer, EngO, aircraft handler and a mechanic, all chosen for being involved with one or more of the Navy Wings fleet present on the day and including both men and women. We had to take account of travelling distance given the Covid19 situation, to avoid anyone having to stay overnight. Admiral Sir Michael Layard, who wrote the Vol.1 preface will also be present to help our efforts.

Hopefully this will work well and get the book off to a 'flying start' (groan).

Best regards

Steve [Bond]
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Aircraft and Aircraft Squadrons of the Fleets”