RN Fleet Air Arm: General

Add your posts about the Naval Aircraft in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Fleet Air Arm: General

Unread post by Pelican »

RFA Argus

Hello to this CH47 Chinook, fuelling up on deck, US Army green contrasting nicely with maritime grey of our 815 NAS Wildcat and 845 NAS Commando Merlin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Wings ~ Sea Vixen XP924 Update

Navy Wings has worked hard in the face of this year's pandemic to adapt, innovate and re-focus our business planning to ensure we'll be back in the air again next year. We are also looking at many new creative ways to bring the heritage experience of naval aviation to our supporters and wider audiences.

One of the aircraft we have had to consider carefully has been the Sea Vixen. It has now been over three years since her text book wheels up landing at Yeovilton which unavoidably resulted in considerable damage to the aircraft. Despite conducting a fundraising appeal and an extensive search for either an individual or an enterprise to underwrite the repairs, which are estimated at just over £2M, we have been unable to find anyone or raise the required funds. Consequently the Board of Trustees has reluctantly made the decision.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

English Electric Canberra TT18 of FRADU at Heron
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

NAVAL PILOT LEWIS MAKES HISTORY EARNING WINGS ON NEW TRAINER
30 November 2020
The first naval aviator has earned his Wings on the military’s new fast jet trainer.

Lieutenant Lewis Phillips received the proud emblem of a qualified pilot after 12 demanding months at RAF Valley in Anglesey, where he was taught the basics of operating a 21st-Century fast jet in the Texan T1.

First in the classrooms and simulators, and then in the Texan’s cockpit, he’s learned the fundamentals of handling a jet-engine aircraft, including formation flying, low-level navigation and coping with all weather conditions.

Twelve months ago, the 30-year-old from Portsmouth was the first trainee jet pilot to fly solo in a Texan.

And a year on, he’s now the first Fleet Air Arm flier to earn his Wings in the aircraft, the only naval aviator among six pilots who graduated from 72 Squadron at Valley.

The Texan replaced the (very similar looking) Tucano which served fast-jet pilots well for the past 30 years.

But with today’s fully-digital jets and helicopters, the analogue trainer was seen as obsolete and phased out.

Its successor has a fully digitised (aka ‘glass’) cockpit, reaches top speeds of more than 360mph and can climb as high as 31,000ft.

All of which means students must get used to wearing G-suits to counter the effects of gravity on the strains and stresses of flight, an immersion suit in case the Texan has to ditch, wearing an oxygen mask rather than breathing normally.

Continues at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... exan-wings
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

MBDA completes Sea Venom missile firing trials

Soon to start equipping the Royal Navy’s AW159 Wildcat and Marine Nationale’s H160M Guépard shipborne helicopters, the Sea Venom/ANL anti-ship missile is a project developed under the Lancaster House treaty between France and the United Kingdom.
MBDA say that the Sea Venom/ANL anti-ship missile completed its qualification firings trials, with a successful final firing at the French Armament General Directorate (DGA) test site at Ile du Levant on the 17th of November.

The Sea Venom/ANL missile is the first programme to take full advantage of the cross-border centres of excellence on missile technologies launched by the Lancaster House treaty, which celebrated its 10-year anniversary this month.

The final qualification trial tested the missile’s advanced target discrimination within a complex and cluttered naval scenario.

Éric Béranger, MBDA CEO, said:
“I want to congratulate the UK-French teams across both MBDA and our governments for the commitment they have shown in meeting this qualification milestone amid the disruption caused by Covid-19. Together they have proven that through co-operation we can jointly overcome adversity and deliver leading edge military capabilities.”

Previous trials have tested the missiles launch envelope, release envelope and engagement modes, such as its low-altitude sea-skimming flight, lock on after launch, lock on before launch, operator-in-the-loop, and aimpoint refinement.

Source UKDJ
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

FLEET AIR ARM BOYS - FROM STEVE BOND

Dear all,
Contributions for 'Fleet Air Arm Boys' continue to arrive almost every day. Yesterday the total received passed the ONE MILLION WORDS mark (plus several thousand photographs), which is quite extraordinary!
The question now arises that with something like 350,000 words contained in the planned three volumes, what next?.....hmm.
Very many thanks to each and every one of you for stepping up to the plate so magnificently.
Best regards - stay safe
Steve and Heather
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Wings

Thank you to Fleet Air Arm veteran, Brian Allen for sharing his experience flying the Fairey Gannet.
The Mail Run
'As HM Aircraft Carriers made their way around the world, they spent long day’s at sea exercising with friendly Navies as they crossed oceans to visit other continents. This meant that the crews had long periods at sea when there was no contact with loved ones at home until the Carrier finally docked in a faraway Port and the Mail could be exchanged both ways.…'
See more at:
https://www.facebook.com/NavyWingsUK/
https://www.facebook.com/NavyWingsUK/ph ... 9859419656
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Aircraft and Aircraft Squadrons of the Fleets”