RN Fleet Air Arm: General

Add your posts about the Naval Aircraft in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Fleet Air Arm: General

Unread post by Pelican »

Dear All

F.A.A. BOYS VOLUME 4

I am delighted to tell you that the launch of the finale volume of 'Fleet Air Arm Boys, volume 4, will take place at the FAA Museum on Saturday 10 June 2023. More details will follow in due course about the plans for the day (we are hoping for something special), but for now please put this date in your diaries! We are extremely grateful to Grub Street, Navy Wings and the Museum for organising what we are sure will be a very fitting finale to a book series that has been five years in the making.

It has always been our hope that the Vol.4 launch would see the series 'go out with a bang' and we are now calling for as many as possible of the 240 contributors to join us at Yeovilton. Quite a few of you have already said you are planning to attend, so we look forward to getting the same message from many more. Volume 4 contains stories from all areas of the FAA, with just about every aircraft type covered so, fixed or rotary wing, air or ground crew, you are all part of it! This is how we describe the book in the forthcoming publicity:

"The first three volumes of ‘Fleet Air Arm Boys’ are all aircraft type based, but this final book has evolved into something very different. It reveals the people of the Fleet Air Arm in all their guises and is very much their reminiscences “looking back”; whilst also casting an eye on the future. As before, the accounts from air and ground crew, men and women, are a mixture of everyday life, the routine, the out of the ordinary and the challenges of operations. There is also a fascinating chapter covering exchange service by FAA people with other forces including the French and US Navies and the RAF, plus the Indian Navy’s experiences with the Sea Hawk and Sea Harrier.

As well as lengthy stories from over 100 FAA contributors, there are many short snippets following the end of each chapter - casual standing-in-the-bar “do you remember” pieces - many of which are hilarious. So many true characters have emerged throughout this book series that there is a chapter devoted to peoples’ memories of just a few of them. Some wide-ranging views on the new carrier and fixed-wing fleet are followed by a closing section entitled “Thoughts”. Contributors were asked to say how they feel about their FAA career when they look back at it, and many responses are both deeply moving and full of praise and gratitude for their time in the service.

Photographs are included that echo this different flavour: images that are atmospheric, personal or simply reflective. Also included are some of the many tongue-in-cheek cartoons for which the Fleet Air Arm is famous, and a selection of artwork. Volume Four is a perfect conclusion to the ongoing post-war story of a truly astounding branch of the Armed Forces."

Please let us know if you will be joining the party on June the 10th!
Best wishes and thanks for all the amazing stories and photos!!
Steve and Heather

Dr Steve Bond PhD CEng FRAeS
Walnut Cottage
4 Pant Glas
Oswestry
Shropshire
SY10 7HS

Tel: 01691 661564
Email:by.meteor@outlook.com
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Britain's Top Guns - The Fleet Air Arm Story

A documentary that reveals Britain's little known, but epic tale – the saga of its naval aviation

THE FILM

The Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm (FAA) is the world's oldest naval aviation service. It helped save Great Britain in World War Two. Yet the FAA's amazing story has never been told in full on film and is almost unknown to the general public. To put this right, Navy Wings - custodian of Britain's flying naval air heritage - is working with Nick Jones, a filmmaker of 30 years' experience, to produce this unique 4K documentary. Together, we're developing a 90 minute film that will reveal the story of the FAA, mixing testimony of veterans from WW2 onwards with action sequences right up to the present day. The short film above gives a taste of our project.

This documentary is being funded via several sources, including Navy Wings - and will be enhanced by crowdfunding. We are now ready to begin the actual filming and, via this IndieGoGo campaign, we seek to raise up to £15,000 to go towards the costs of location shooting.

Continues at - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/brit ... rm-story#/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy builds drone in first for expert squadron

The Royal Navy’s drone squadron have taken their expertise in uncrewed systems one step further by building their own quadcopter.
Personnel from 700X Naval Air Squadron have built their first remotely-piloted air system in a milestone moment for the Culdrose-based team.

Once thoroughly put through its paces, the drone could be used as a testbed for sensors and delivering other payloads.

In an empty aircraft hangar, the sleek four-legged system is ready to be turned on and put through a series of ground tests.

“Clear. Arming,” calls Chief Petty Officer Phil Wood, as he lifts the control unit. “Live,” he adds and an angry high-pitched noise swells and fills the hangar as the tethered drone roars into life.

The 20kg octo-quadcopter is named Walrus after the flying boats pioneered by 700 Naval Air Squadron and flown from cruisers and battleships during the Second World War.

“This is the first time the navy has built its own air system using basic components,” said Lieutenant Kristian Lilley, who is overseeing the tests.

“It’s an important step in our recognition of endorsed manufacturer status with the Military Aviation Authority.

“Built to high, aviation standards, the Walrus will be used specifically as a testbed for sensors and other sensitive payloads. It will be our independent test and evaluation platform. As we’ve built it, we know the system and exactly what it’s capable of.

“We’re now testing it using a rigorous regime here in a controlled environment. When we’re confident it’s operating correctly and safely, we’ll conduct our first flying tests, probably in the new year.”

Continues at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... uild-drone
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

820 NAS Fairey Albacores from HMS Formidable pictured off Mombasa on May 25th 1942.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

F.A.A. BOYS VOL. 4

Dear all,

Since our last update things have moved on quite a lot.

First and foremost, the Volume 4 manuscript was delivered to Grub Street on schedule on 10 January; we are now on standby for final proof-reading once we get the completed page spreads. The list of those who have said they are planning to attend the launch continues to edge upwards and currently stands at 102 - we are sure more of you will come aboard as your summer plans come together - just let us know please. Sadly, the planned visit by our Indian Navy Admiral and his wife has been cancelled due to family problems.

Friday evening 'do'. Bob Crane has volunteered to take on the task of organising a 'social gathering' in a suitable hostelry in the evening before the launch. He has the names of those who have expressed an interest and will doubtless be contacting you (if he hasn't already). If you would like to join them, Bob can be contacted at robertcrane46@yahoo.co.uk

Our planned RNAS/FAA photo album with the working title 'Flying with the Navy' is coming on in leaps and bounds. We have now had a proto(photo)type printed for you all to peruse at the Vol.4 launch, and we have attached a few sample pages. The reaction from the small group who have seen it so far has been tremendously encouraging: "spectacular", "impressive", "looking great", "Excellent...superb selection of photos. Shaping up to be the most comprehensive collection of FAA - and rare at that - images I've ever seen. I believe it will become a 'must-have' book for all FAA and general aviation enthusiasts." Can't be bad! Navy Wings are very interested and would like to see it available for sale around the time their planned documentary 'goes live'. The one major problem we still have to solve is to find a publisher!!

There is a very good review of Vol.3 in the latest issue of Aeroplane, and it has been interesting to see the book re-appear in Amazon's top 100 in its category.

We recently told you the sad news about 'Oboe' Jones - his funeral takes place in his home village on Monday. He will be sorely missed.

That's it for now - don't forget to add your name to the launch attendees if you haven't already done so - thank you..

Best

Steve and Heather
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

F.A.A. BOYS VOL. 4 - Photos continued.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Vehicles used to refuel Fleet Air Arm aircraft have been refurbished to give them an extra 15 years of life.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... s-upgraded
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy helicopters train in sub-zero conditions in Norway

Around 200 Royal Navy personnel from the Commando Helicopter Force have undergone rigorous training to prepare them for operating in the Arctic.
Working alongside Royal Marines, these individuals, including chefs, engineers, logistics experts, ground and air crew, have spent time enduring sub-zero temperatures and sleeping in tents to learn how to survive and fight in the extreme cold conditions of Bardufoss air base in northern Norway.
Continues at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/navy-he ... in-norway/ - LFT
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Dear all,
Jon Parkinson at Navy Wings has asked me to send the following request to you all.
"Dear Fleet Air Arm veteran
I hope that this email finds you in good health.
You may be aware that Navy Wings has embarked on a major project - to produce the first ever full-length documentary on the history of the FAA from its embryonic beginnings to the present day with the new carriers, F-35s, Merlins and Wildcats.
This will be broadcast globally and bring the little-known history, achievements, and sacrifice of the FAA into millions of homes worldwide.
The support received so far from the FAA community has been extraordinary with c.£45,000 raised in a crowdfunding campaign and we are now well into the process of delivering this important initiative. We have the full support of the RN at the highest level.
It is very important that as much of the story as possible is told through first-hand accounts so we can capture the ethos of the FAA as well as the chronological history of important events, innovations and inventions.
We feel that your personal testimony will be a very valuable contribution and would be most grateful if you would agree to being interviewed. The usual process is two ‘interviews”; one informal ‘fireside chat’ without cameras to establish the flow of the second ‘chat’ with cameras a few days later. The first ‘fireside chat’ can be at home or other convenient location and, where practicable, we would try and gather a number of veterans together for the filming days at a suitable location.
If you would like to contribute your experiences to this important project, please let us know via the link below and a member of the small professional Navy Wings Film Team will be in touch to make arrangements.
Ultimately, we will be covering all periods, but initially we are particularly keen to hear from those who served up to 1950.
https://bit.ly/FAAFilmSB1
We would very much appreciate your assistance in bringing the powerful history of the Forgotten Air Arm onto a global stage.
Many thanks for your support.
Best wishes
Jon Parkinson
Navy Wings"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

GANNETS GALORE
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Aircraft and Aircraft Squadrons of the Fleets”