Submarines of the fleet
Pelican

General Submarine News

Unread post by Pelican »

CONVID-19

Another Submarine Quarantined: Nowhere Is Out Of Reach Of Coronavirus

See:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/hisutton/2 ... 51c1684adf
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Re: General Submarine News

Unread post by Pelican »

Savetheroyalnavy.org

New Weetabix advert apparently.
Girl catches submarine with fishing rod.
(Interiors filmed onboard HMS Alliance at Royal Navy Submarine Museum Gosport)

See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4qHoSg ... EDd0ziAXDI
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

REMEMBERING A WELLING SUBMARINER – RICHARD “DICK” ELLWOOD 1902-1940

Bexley Archives are in the process of building up a database of our local WW2 casualties, a Bexley WW2 Roll of Honour. Today, we are proud to commemorate just one of these local heroes, 80 years after his death.
RICHARD “DICK” ELLWOOD 1902-1940

A submariner, Able Seaman Richard “Dick” Ellwood was lost on board his vessel , H.M. Submarine Sterlet, lost at sea after being depth-charged off the Norwegian coast…
The husband of Rose Leonora Ellwood, they lived at 66 Cumberland Avenue Welling.

The lonely death of a submariner lost beneath the waves is surely one if the saddest and grimmest of departures…
"Of all the branches of men in the forces there is none which shows more devotion and faces grimmer perils than the submariners." Sir Winston Churchill

Lost at sea, but Dick’s name can still be found today on the Welling War Memorial at St.John’s Church.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Upgrading the Royal Navy’s nuclear submarine support facilities

Plans to convert another dry dock in Devonport to refit the Dreadnought class submarines were recently revealed in an outline planning application. Here we examine the context and reasons for the upgrade.

Number 10 Dock is the biggest dry dock at Devonport and Babcock Marine, who operate the yard, have plans for a complete refurbishment to create a second facility certified to take the largest nuclear submarines. Stringent modern regulations require that the nuclear facilities must have redundant systems and be able to withstand earthquakes, high tides and high winds. The requirement to withstand a severe earthquake (Considered likely to happen, just once in 10,000 years in Plymouth) is particularly demanding from an engineering perspective. Very robust structures are needed and systems such as cooling water and electrical power need to have multiple backups in the event of failure.

Between 1999 and 2002 the adjacent number 9 Dock was refurbished to conduct refits and refuelling of the Vanguard-class submarines. The original dock floor was removed and a new floor with integral drainage system was constructed and fitted with a cradle to secure the submarine. The old dock was considerably narrowed by lining with counterfort walls constructed on top of the new dock floor. A new dockside edge structure (cope) with service subways to carry piping and cables was constructed on top of the counterforts. The cope was secured by more than seventy, 760-millimetre diameter steel piles anchored in 12-metre sockets anchored in the rock. The dock entrance is sealed by very large multi-cellular caissons and seismically-qualified dockside cranes have been installed.

To enable nuclear refuelling, a new Reactor Access House (RAH) was built that moved on rails to align with the reactor compartment. Spent full can be raised up into the RAH and new fuel rods lowered into place. At the head of the dock, a Primary Circuit Decontamination and Alternative Core Removal Cooling (PCD/ACRC) system building was constructed. The PCD/ACRC building contains the plant used to cool the reactor, apply chemical decontamination and inject or remove boronated water reactivity suppressant. The building’s equipment and plant is connected by over 20 km of pipework and 150 km of electrical cable in 92 rooms.

Continues with photos and images at
https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/upgrad ... ztZM11O6eE
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

This is being sent to all branch secretaries and NMC for information to our members

Firstly please except my apologies for the little contact I have had in recent months. I am currently still serving away on HMS trenchant and as we are a clean COVID free crew it is easier for us to stay at sea than risk pulling in anywhere. That being said we did pull into Faslane for a night to re-store food. I took this opportunity to invite Commodore Jim Perks to meet us on the jetty for a socially distance chat with the men.

The main topic of conversation was the Submarine Fund and the fact that it was now up and running. For those that already pay into the RNRMC there is no change our money will automatically be diverted to the Submarine Fund. There is a big drive to target the SMQ’s during their dry training and word is getting out to the serving submariners. Unfortunately I think it will be hard initially to get buy in until they see some of the money being spent and realise it will benefit them in the long run. COSM is taking ideas of how we can spend money to benefit ourselves and our families.

There has been a great response to the idea that Submariners will wear black cap covers instead of the traditional white, this serves two purposes. One it gives us recognition for the work we do and two it will make us stand out and get people talking and asking questions which will help recruitment/retention. All trainees will be issued a set of black dolphins to wear so they are recognisable as trainee submariners. As per tradition they will only be issued their Gold Dolphins once all the training requirements are met.

Recruitment is on the rise and all training establishments are full (HMS Raleigh/Sultan & Collingwood) Dartmouth has been used as an overflow for trainees during phase 1 training. Although it will take a while for these trainees to come through the system it is a positive step for the Submarine Service.

SETT at Fort Blockhouse (HMS Dolphin) has finally closed it’s doors and the new SMEARAS training is starting in HMNB Clyde this month. This is a state of the art facility and will provide realistic training for submarine escape and surface abandonment. When the world is back to normal and the NMC are in Faslane for a meeting or K13 remembrance this is well worth a visit if possible.

The message is well and truly out there about this year Remembrance Weekend in London. I believe they are going to limit the numbers of serving personnel to 30 uniformed. To allow the veterans to maximise the numbers of the ticket allocation. I will still be away so unfortunately I will not be there this year but I hope the weather holds for those that do manage to get a ticket.

Many Thanks for your time in this matter

Charlie Drake

Charlie Drake | CPO WS SSM | SONAR Department | HMS TRENCHANT | Intercido | BFPO 405 | HMSTREN-War- SSM GROUP HEAD | ( (Mil) 9375 53750 | (Mob) 07879379203
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

American nuclear submarine departs Faslane

The USS John Warner, a Virginia class nuclear submarine, has left the Clyde after a routine port call.
See:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/america ... TxTaYUy8LE
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Second American nuclear submarine visits Clyde in two days

The USS Seawolf arrived in the Clyde a day after the USS John Warner departed.
See:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/second- ... m2KVYhvr_8
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

NEW BADGE FOR TRAINEE ROYAL NAVY SUBMARINERS

29 September 2020

Royal Navy Submariner Trainees across the country have been recognised from Friday, September 25 with the presentation of a set of unique training dolphins.

See:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... ubmariners
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ROYAL NAVY FAMILY WIN DESIGN CONTEST TO INSPIRE NEW NATIONAL MEMORIAL TO SUBMARINERS
30 September 2020

MEMBERS of a Royal Navy family have won a national competition to inspire the design for a national memorial to submariners.

The Groves family were announced as the overall winners of the competition and will see their design translate into a memorial at the National Memorial Arboretum next year.

The judges were inspired by the idea of walking into the memorial seeing the water above, represented by blue glass.

Chris Groves said: “We brought in our three generations of submariner, my father Adrian who joined the navy in 1960 and joined submarines and did his training on HMS Opportune.

Continues at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... ubmariners
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “RN Submarines”