General Submarine News

Submarines of the fleet
Pelican

Re: General Submarine News

Unread post by Pelican »

Submariner Memorial Commemorative Publication

The Submariner Memorial is the Official Publication marking the Dedication of the Submariner Memorial. However, in exploring the role of submariners through 120 years of often grim history, the Publication is also a powerful narrative of the courage and sacrifice of submariners and their families through many decades of service – and will act as an abiding instrument of remembrance and legacy.

See - https://theveteran.uk/product/submarine ... blication/
And - https://twitter.com/IBallantyn/status/1 ... 2750858242
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:28 pm Scientists believe they’ve confirmed a Dartmouth urban legend of more than 80 years by ‘finding’ a Royal Navy submarine buried in the town park.

Experts from the University of Winchester used ground penetrating radar to scan the site where the old boat was believed to rest – along with landfill – which created Coronation Park.

The vague outline of what is thought to be HMS E52 can be made out on the resulting scans – as well as a second object, a German torpedo boat, longer but also more narrow.

The findings were made by Dr Simon Roffey, Reader in Archaeology, and Dr David Ashby, who manages Winchester University’s Soil Laboratory.

The pair were intrigued by the research of Lieutenant Tom Kemp, who last year put a name to the submarine locals had talked about for years.

After extensive research in the archives, serving submariner Tom – who teaches navigation at Britannia Royal Naval College overlooking the town – identified the craft as HMS E52.
Continues at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... nd-in-park
See - https://www.warhistoryonline.com/news/c ... arine.html
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Babcock and HII partner up on naval nuclear decommissioning and construction

The MoU will see both companies work together on programmes and opportunities in the US and UK.
See - https://www.naval-technology.com/news/b ... n/#catfish
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout

MSubs Ltd - manufacturers of MANTA and CETUS XLUUVs for the Royal Navy have announced they will build a new facility at South Yard in Devonport (within the Plymouth and South Devon Freeport area)
See - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 45/photo/1
And - https://www.facebook.com/msubsltd/?locale=en_GB
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

UK ministers plan task force to plug nuclear skills gap

Tens of thousands of workers needed to deliver on new power stations and submarines
Ministers are to set up a task force to co-ordinate the training of tens of thousands of British workers needed to build atomic power stations and nuclear-powered submarines.
Continues at - https://www.ft.com/content/2e420836-c52 ... 0b833acb08
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

From Navy Lookout: "The secrets of Britain's submarines – how many there are and where they're hidden"

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/18049 ... hidden-spt
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Vanguard submarine returns from long patrol

A Vanguard-class nuclear submarine has returned from a six month patrol, a commendable feat that also highlights growing safety concerns surrounding the ageing Royal Navy fleet.

The submarine, which recently returned to Faslane, was noticeably encrusted with barnacles and covered in algae after what is believed to have been a taxing six-month-long tour.

Such extended periods at sea not only place a considerable strain on the submarine’s crew but also on their families waiting back home.

The exceptional duration of this patrol has amplified questions regarding the UK’s diminishing submarine resources. With multiple boats currently sidelined for repairs and maintenance, there’s mounting pressure on the operational vessels to fill the void.

Currently, the UK has four Vanguard-class submarines, each capable of being armed with up to eight Trident nuclear warheads. At least one submarine from this class is patrolling the seas at any given time. However, only HMS Vigilant and HMS Vengeance have been active this year due to extended repair works.

These extended repairs stem from the fact that the Vanguard submarines, initially designed with a 25-year operational life, are nearing four decades of service.

In response to concerns, the Royal Navy stated, “We don’t discuss the length of patrols. We deeply value the commitment and dedication of our submariners and their families. To acknowledge the challenges they face, all submariners on Vanguard-class submarines receive an extra payment after an extended period at sea.”

This latest patrol, marking the 55th year of the continuous Operation Relentless, was met with much celebration. Operation Relentless represents the UK’s longest sustained military operation, ensuring that a British submarine armed with the nation’s ultimate weapon is always patrolling the world’s oceans, ready to act since 1969.

Welcoming the submarine home at the Clyde Naval Base were Deputy Prime Minister Oliver Dowden and First Sea Lord, Admiral Sir Ben Key. Families eagerly waved to their returning loved ones, knowing that another Vanguard-class submarine has already taken its place at sea.

Deputy Prime Minister Dowden expressed his gratitude, stating, “The Continuous At Sea Deterrent is vital to the UK. I’m humbled by their service and understand the sacrifices made by our crew and their families.”

Echoing these sentiments, Admiral Sir Ben Key remarked, “It’s an honor to welcome our crew back. Their dedication is unmatched, and I extend my heartfelt gratitude to their families. The continuous efforts of our Defence Nuclear Enterprise, industrial partners, and government have enabled 55 years of unbroken deterrent patrols.”

UKDJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Capita-led Team Fisher completes final milestone of Royal Navy modernisation contract

Team Fisher, the Capita-led consortium driving data and technology-led transformation of Royal Navy training, has successfully completed the final milestone set out under its original contract to get better trained people to the frontline, faster.

The consortium, which includes Raytheon UK, Elbit Systems UK, Fujitsu, the University of Lincoln and several smaller British suppliers, has today assumed responsibility for Submarine Escape Rescue, Abandonment and Survival (SMERAS).

Based at HMNB Clyde, SMERAS is a unique, modern, purpose-built facility that enables the Royal Navy and Team Fisher to deliver essential on shore training for personnel in vital escape, rescue, abandonment and survival techniques using a unique, controllable training environment. The individual and collective training is centred on a blend of practical and classroom teaching, with the SMERAS facility capable of delivering a minimum of 82 courses to more than 2,700 trainees per year.

This is the final of eight contract milestones under the Project Selborne contract, signed in 2021, bringing together 27 individual contracts into a single construct and worth approximately £1 billion over 12 years for Capita.

Continues at - https://www.capita.com/news/capita-led- ... n-contract
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Hundreds enjoyed 2023 submarine awards night

Serving and retired Royal Navysubmariners, their families, friends and affiliates enjoyed an evening of glitz at the Hilton hotel.

The ballroom was at maximum capacity as 350 people for the event hosted by Commodore Paul Dunn, commander of the submarine flotilla.

Extract ~ Awards included:

The Valiant Trophy. Awarded to HMS Vigilant (Port) as the first crew to excel in every element of operational sea training for over ten years and presented to Cdr Iain Fergusson.
The Conqueror Trophy-For operational excellence in the underwater battlespace. Awarded to HMS Audacious.
Naval Families Federation Award. Awarded to NFF advocates who enable naval families. Nicola Trollope won the award for continued support to all within the naval community.
The Royal Navy Family and People Support Award. Awarded to Emer Flett, in recognition of the role as service pupil advisor and providing the highest level of educational care to the children of the submarine community.
The Thomas Tunnock award. Presented to Chief Petty Officer Iain Hamblin of HMS Triumph for providing the greatest influence of morale on board thereby generating an essential component of operational capability.
Submarine Engineering Excellence Award. Awarded to the marine engineering department of HMS Audacious for delivering engineering excellence.
The Sovereign Bowl. Awarded to HMS Artful Marine Engineering department for delivering a superior performance during manoeuvring room training. Lieutenant Commanders Paul McElroy and Sam Cameron received the award on the night.
The Orpheus Trophy. Sponsored by RB Safety and awarded to those who have made a significant contribution to submarine safety. Petty Officer Robert Evans received this award on behalf of HMS Ambush weapons section.
The Submariners Association Award. Awarded to the Vanguard-class submarine trainee who has displayed the qualities and ethos of the submarine cadre and stood above their peers during initial training. Presented to Chef Ellie Brown for displaying determination to succeed during Submarine Qualification.
The Molyneux Prize. Awarded to the Astute-class submarine trainee who has displayed the qualities and ethos of the submarine cadre and stood above their peers during initial training. Gill Molyneux presented this award to Able Seaman Jack Viner for displaying courage, loyalty, discipline, integrity, and respect for others throughout training.
The Dean Rogers MBE Submarine Family Award. Sponsored by The Rogers Family and awarded to those who have made a significant contribution to the wellbeing of the submarine community. WO1 Dave Bathgate won this award for his sterling work in establishing the Military Vs Cancer charity and raising over £250,000 thus far.

Full article, including photos at - https://thelochsidepress.com/2023/10/06 ... rds-night/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

RN personnel numbers living at Faslane set to rise by nearly 40%. 2,602 cabins built in the last 20 yrs with another 1,025 planned.

RN Submarine Training Centre opens in 2025 and infrastructure work to support Dreadnought class submarines starting.

See - https://thelochsidepress.com/2023/10/23 ... announced/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “RN Submarines”