General Submarine News

Submarines of the fleet
Pelican

Re: General Submarine News

Unread post by Pelican »

Out now! Warships Pod Episode 24: Cold War Secret Diesel Submarine Missions - an intrepid boat spying on the Soviets, as told by 1950s veteran submariner Mike Hurley, who ventured into the Arctic aboard HMS Taciturn

Listen at - https://podfollow.com/1583747522/episod ... 08e78/view
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Shadow defence minister John Healey MP promises Labour will properly address decommissioned nuclear submarine disposal at Devonport.

Very welcome policy but will the cost come from the existing defence budget?
The challenge will be to recruit SQEP (people) and accelerate infrastructure works.
NUCLEAR SUB. DISPOSAL A..jpg
NUCLEAR SUB. DISPOSAL B..jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Royal Navy Submariner Memorial Service took place in London over the weekend.

Submariners past and present came to remember those who went before and lost their lives in conflict.

3 Photos at - https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/17 ... 1538855222
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The ipaper report suggests one of the reasons for low availability of submarines - listing shortage of [reactor?] 'cooling valves' and a general widespread shortage of naval spares.

See - https://inews.co.uk/news/trident-nuclea ... ge-2740361
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Babcock plc have signed a 4-year £750 million contract with SDA mod to upgrade submarine support infrastructure.

Primarily the upgrade to 10 dock at Devonport to accommodate SSN and SSBN refits.
MoD also looking to acquire up to 2 floating docks for submarine maintenance at Faslane.

Photos at - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 1200326028
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

MGMA Architects has revealed designs for a new £2 million U-Boat museum in Birkenhead on the Wirral Peninsula

The Liverpool-based studio has submitted a planning application for the project, which would see the redevelopment of the town's existing U-Boat Story attraction, next to the Grade II-listed Woodside Ferry Terminal building on the Woodside Waterfront.

MGMA's designs would retain an existing German U-Boat U-534, a type of naval submarine operated by Germany during the Second World War, on the site to form the centrepiece of a new visitor attraction.

A new hangar museum building, including an event space and terrace with riverside views, would sit parallel to the remodelled submarine enclosure.

The museum would be dedicated to the Battle of the Atlantic – a contest between the Western Allies and the Axis powers for the control of Atlantic sea routes, which ran from 1939 until the defeat of Nazi Germany in 1945.

Continues at - https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/new ... the-wirral - LFT
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Royal Navy’s submarine readiness issue

In a Defence Select Committee meeting, Mark Francois MP brought to light his concerns over the lack of nuclear submarines at sea, saying, “It was all over the internet a couple of months ago that we did not have a single nuclear attack submarine at sea for the first time in living memory.”

Addressing the issue, Grant Shapps highlighted efforts to improve the manufacturing process, noting, “I have already visited part of the manufacturing process on the Rolls-Royce side of things to see how we can speed things up.”

Despite the challenges, Shapps assured, “we were able to meet all our NATO commitments throughout that period of time.”

However, Mr Francois raised concerns about the actual operational status of the submarines, stating, “Secretary of State, even the ones that are built are all tied up alongside, or they were… You can’t track Russian submarines with six SSNs tied up alongside.”

Lieutenant General Rob Magowan addressed the critical issues impacting submarine operations. He acknowledged, “The Clyde infrastructure programme… is a GNPP programme running at red.”

He emphasised the need for significant improvements, admitting, “the operational infrastructure to support the submarines you are talking about is not fit for purpose.”

Critical Areas for Improvement

The discussion highlighted three primary areas needing urgent attention:

Infrastructure Overhaul: General Magowan indicated the urgency of the Clyde infrastructure program. He emphasised its importance, stating, “We are recalibrating that because the operational infrastructure to support the submarines you are talking about is not fit for purpose.”

Supply Chain Management: Highlighting supply chain issues, General Magowan announced, “There are supply chain issues, which is why we are now launching our supply chain strategy, where we will identify as part of the increasing defence outputs programme where those supply chain pinch points are and ensure that we are being proactive around them.”

Engineering Workforce Shortage: Addressing the shortage of engineers, Magowan noted, “The third area, which we have talked a lot about this afternoon, is people, and the shortage particularly of engineers at the back of the boat. We need to ensure that they have the package they need for us to sustain them in the Navy.”

Magowan also stated:

“If it were easy, then we would have all the submarines to sea, but they are not designed for all to be at sea anyway. But there is an overall programme, because you are absolutely right that it is an operational weakness.”

The operational readiness of the Royal Navy’s SSN fleet is a complex issue, involving manufacturing delays, infrastructure inadequacies, and workforce challenges. While NATO commitments have been maintained, the absence of operational SSNs is a strategic concern, especially given heightened global tensions.

Source UKDJ
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Sub Hunter - TheSubHunter1

From a post on the Friends of the RN Submarine Museum (pay up and join it for some fantastic content).
Somewhere in the English Channel on an RN boat (looks like an O Boat) in the 70s :)

See - https://www.rnsubmusfriends.org.uk/

Photo (c) David Parry posted on subsim FB group by Les Robertson
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

This Christmas, we should give thanks to our nuclear missile submariners

Mismanagement ashore is placing Royal Navy sailors under enormous strain

See - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/1 ... deterrent/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout

Unprecedented:

RN is appealing to the retired community via LinkedIn for a new Rear Admiral - Director of Submarines.
No suitable internal candidate to replace two-star RAdm S Asquith.

See, which is not plagued with subscription adverts - https://archive.is/YtH39
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “RN Submarines”