Imperial War Museum - HMS Belfast

Post here about the Imperial War Museum and its exhibits
timlewin

Imperial War Museum - HMS Belfast

Unread post by timlewin »

The IWM announced this afternoon that it is closing all of its venues including HMS Belfast to visitors from tonight for as long as it takes, this is on guidance from Public Health England.
Pelican

Re: Imperial War Museum - HMS Belfast

Unread post by Pelican »

FROM FACEBOOK

HMS Belfast

After 24 years of active service, HMS Belfast was decommissioned. The long-term outlook was bleak; most warships end their days as scrap metal.
On 14 April 1967, a team from IWM visited Portsmouth to consider acquiring one of HMS Gambia’s 6-inch gun turrets. They had lunch on board HMS Belfast, which at that time was a Harbour Accommodation Ship. By the end of the meal, the idea of preserving an entire ship had been born – HMS Belfast was the perfect candidate.
As an IWM member, you can help ensure our world-leading historic sites, including HMS Belfast, are enjoyed by generations to come. As a thank you, enjoy free entry, discounted events and much more!
Become an IWM member today:
https://www.iwm.org.uk/membership?utm_m ... c7r-hT_6uE

© IWM MH 15062
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS BelfastBack to Activity List
Warship Conservation
Help Keep HMS Belfast Ship Shape

HMS Belfast joined the Imperial War Museums collection in 1978, becoming a museum and also the largest item in our collection. As both a historical object and museum its needs are unique and it requires constant conservation work. It is through our Conservation Teams' efforts that HMS Belfast remains in the best possible state for visitors to come aboard.

See - https://app.betterimpact.com/PublicOrga ... 07f108a0/1
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Belfast

As HMS Belfast is now reopen, over the next few weeks we’ll be showcasing just some of what you can discover when you come on board.
The Quarter Deck is where you'll take your first step on board HMS Belfast.
You’ll notice the names and dates of key locations above your head - from HMS Belfast’s beginnings in Harland & Wolff’s shipyard in Belfast, 1938, to when she arrived at her final spot in London in 1971. You’ll also meet some of HMS Belfast’s leading figures including the last operational Captain, Morgan Morgan-Giles.
Also new to the Quarter Deck is the D-Day Experience - step inside this 6-inch gun turret for an immersive sound installation depicting 05.27am: 6 June 1944, when HMS Belfast's guns opened fire on the Normandy beaches.

See - https://www.iwm.org.uk/events/hms-belfa ... 5Vf-TlZb7o
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Belfast

HMS Belfast is the last surviving Second World War Royal Navy cruiser.
In our exhibition ‘Serving the Seas’, explore her rich and varied history, spanning over 80 years – from a shipyard in Northern Ireland to her permanent home as a national museum on the River Thames.
Listen to veterans recount memories of their time on board, discover HMS Belfast’s journey using an interactive timeline and browse archive footage to see the adventures that she embarked on as a world-touring warship.

See - https://www.iwm.org.uk/events/hms-belfa ... fmRFZuuFlw
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Half price tickets to HMS Belfast next weekend

Play World of Warships on board London's Warship Experience - View this link in your browser:

https://us11.campaign-archive.com/?u=65 ... ba5898f626
Link from Tim.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Belfast

After 24 years of active service, HMS Belfast was decommissioned. The long-term outlook was bleak; most warships end their days as scrap metal.

On 14 April 1967, a team from IWM visited Portsmouth to consider acquiring one of HMS Gambia’s 6-inch gun turrets. They had lunch on board HMS Belfast, which at that time was being used as a static accommodation ship. By the end of the meal, the idea of preserving an entire ship had been born, and HMS Belfast was the perfect candidate.

This year marks 50 years since HMS Belfast arrived at its berth on the River Thames, opening up to the public as a museum and quickly becoming an iconic London landmark.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Belfast

On 9th September 1945, Japan surrendered to Allied forces, ending Second World War hostilities in Asia.
HMS Belfast was en route to Sydney, Australia to join the British Pacific Fleet and was called on to help keep the peace.
After a brief visit to Taiwan, the ship's crew anchored off the River Yangtse before proceeding up-river to Shanghai to help 5,000 British subjects who had been interned as prisoners of war under the Imperial Japanese regime.
Many needed comfort and medical attention, as HMS Belfast undertook the task of ferrying individuals and famlies to Hong Kong.
The ship’s company of HMS Belfast held a party onboard for the children who had been caught up in the conflict. A makeshift playground was built on deck, with one of the ship's lifeboats being repurposed as a swing! Chocolate was given out to the children, which many of whom had never seen or tasted before.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS BELFAST

See - Channel 5 tonight at 1900 SECRETS OF THE I.W.M.
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Watched it Dave . Very interesting and looking forward to the next episode . It covered the Russian Convoys and I have a copy of the video in which Tim's dad TTL features . If you have never seen it it is well worth a viewing . If you are interested and can't get a copy I will gladly lend you mine . Title of the video - "LAST WITNESS2 directed by Michael Samir with Foreword by TTL
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Imperial War Museum - HMS Belfast: RAF Duxford”