Imperial War Museum - HMS Belfast

Post here about the Imperial War Museum and its exhibits
Pelican

Re: Imperial War Museum - HMS Belfast

Unread post by Pelican »

DaveH wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:11 pm Watched it Dave . Very interesting and looking forward to the next episode . It covered the Russian Convoys and I have a copy of the video in which Tim's dad TTL features . If you have never seen it it is well worth a viewing . If you are interested and can't get a copy I will gladly lend you mine . Title of the video - "LAST WITNESS2 directed by Michael Samir with Foreword by TTL
Agree Dave, ditto Last Witness, makes you wonder if the youngsters understand and appreciate what all involved went through.
Seems to me most simply take it for granted but when someone actually explains it all to them the do begin to understand.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Too True . Our system of teaching History does not cover enough . At the Arboretum I found myself explaining to a group of young Cadets wisiting the Far East Memorial Building what the Japanese Hellships were all about , on which I lost my father . They were genuinely interested and I think it upset a couple of them but they thanked me and said they now understood it more .having visited the Memorial and having someone take the time fo explain that part of terrible conditions and treatment of Prisoners of War.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Tom Palmer, author.

Children's author. Historical and sports fiction. Books include three Carnegie-nominated novels, Armistice Runner, After the War and Arctic Star.
Christmas reading resources for the classroom. A short assembly. A story set in the Arctic. And some blackout poetry. Many thanks.
Find out how the young Royal Navy sailors celebrate Christmas Day 1943 aboard HMS Belfast in the Arctic Circle with dinner, carols and listening to the King’s Speech.

See - https://tompalmer.co.uk/christmas-in-fi ... ctic-star/
And - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQZMKqVPCz0&t=4s
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Dear Ulster,

We didn’t win the lottery, we didn’t get the Band of the Irish Guards to perform Sunset for us, we didn’t get our Centenary lunch; but we got the trophy. This is crest number 100/100, a symbolic serial number of the total cast from the steel salved from the old masts when they were replaced in 2010. It’s on oak with a stainless dedication plate (very difficult to photograph if avoiding reflection!) so it will last easily until 2121, which I am fairly confident in saying I won’t, but the spirit lives on with Northern Ireland, and in our ship of memories. A ship built by the skill and brawn of the people of Northern Ireland resonant with the history of defending freedom whilst winning four Battle Honours; Arctic, North Cape, Normandy and Korea. A noble monument to not only our Great British Heritage but to the history of the free World. To the people of Northern Ireland, be proud of what you did, and what you are, come and visit your ship and celebrate with us.

All very best
Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Belfast to be reactivated for patrol work
April 1, 2022
HMS Belfast, a Second World War cruiser turned museum ship, is to be reactivated and renamed by the end of this month in order to patrol the English Channel.

The vessel’s current name has been taken by a new frigate under construction on the Clyde so it’s understood that the Prime Minister is renaming the vessel HMS Boris Johnson. This comes after claims that the Royal Navy, is already over-stretched and under-resourced.

HMS Belfast is the most significant surviving Second World War Royal Navy warship. Since her launch over 80 years ago, she fired some of the first shots at the D-Day landings, served in the Arctic Convoys, and in the Korean War.

Continues at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/hms-bel ... uWtZuUR1ZE
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Belfast

'The Belfast was the first big event in my life'
Ron Yardley boarded HMS Belfast in 1950 as she prepared to head to Korea. While it was to get his bearings in those early days, he remembers the ship fondly.
Years after he served on board, Ron was there when the ship arrived in the Pool of London in 1971, as this picture shows. A new generation of his family also have their own special stories about this historic ship to tell.
We Were There is Imperial War Museums’ remarkable programme where you can meet real life veterans and eyewitnesses of war.
Visit HMS Belfast this half term: https://www.iwm.org.uk/events/we-were-t ... GTI7C60whs
[A Ganges Boy.]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

BELFAST

HMS Belfast's primary armament throughout her life was her 6-inch guns. It took over 200 men working together over 8 decks to keep these guns firing - what made these guns so complicated? Our experts take us from the Gun Direction Platform to the Fire Control Table, then into A-Turret and A-Turret's shell room to see how exactly they worked. We then take a look at her secondary 4-inch guns and where her two Supermarine Walruses used to stand.

[Very informative]

See - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IhMmLYCOnE - Duration 14 minutes.

Link from Tim
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

H.M.S. BELFAST

Restoration of S1 Bofors completed.

From Tim.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

H.M. QUEEN ELIZABETH II

On Saturday 24 September 2022, Sea Cadets on board HMS Belfast stood in salute as a flotilla of a hundred and fifty or so vessels travelled downriver through Central London towards Tower Bridge.

The flotilla, titled 'Reflections', floated peacefully illuminated with white lights to mark the passing of Her Majesty the Queen and the accession of King Charles III.

'Reflections' is thought to be the first illuminated flotilla to be seen on the Thames for over three hundred years and encouraged both a reflection of the past, and optimism for the future.

Photo credit- Thames Festival Trust
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Another more recent photo.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Imperial War Museum - HMS Belfast: RAF Duxford”