G-5 Type Motor Torpedo Boats

Add your posts about the Russian Navy in this section
Pelican

G-5 Type Motor Torpedo Boats

Unread post by Pelican »

Soviet G-5 Torpedo Boat Lost During the Siege of Sevastopol Recovered By Russian Navy

The Russian Navy recently found and raised a Soviet G-5 Type motor torpedo boat sunk in the Siege of Sevastapol during World War II. Approximately 300 G-5s were built, of which 73 were lost during World War II.

Despite specific differences in size and armament, American, British, and German motor torpedo boats used during World War II were fundamentally similar to each other — fast, lightly built primarily of wood and heavily armed with torpedo tubes facing forward. The Soviet G-5 was a very different craft altogether.

The G-5 had a single-step, hydroplane hull with a whaleback upper deck. It was mainly built from duralumin, an early type of age-hardenable aluminum alloy and was capable of speeds of over 50 knots. Its most distinctive feature was the two torpedoes mounted on the rear deck. Rather than firing the torpedoes forward, each torpedo was ejected astern. The torpedo motor was not activated until a wire trailing from the boat snapped, giving the boat just enough time to turn away from the target. The helmsman of the G-5 had to turn quickly enough to avoid getting hit by his own torpedo. The boats could also be used to lay mines. The afterdeck could be fitted with rocket launchers.

The video below shows G-5s in service. The narration is in Russian but the imagery is clear enough to make some sense out of the footage even for non-Russian speakers (like me.) At about the 30-second mark, there is an animation of how the torpedos are fired. At around 3 minutes, a flotilla of G-5s fires volleys of rockets.

See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In8deQT ... e=youtu.be
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.

Return to “Russian Navy”