USN in General

Add your posts about the US Navy in this section
Pelican

USN in General

Unread post by Pelican »

Whilst I do not have the time to keep up to date with the USN I do believe in passing on any info for the benefit of others. Hence:
US Navy to ‘reimagine’ the future of the aircraft carriers

Acting Secretary of the US Navy Thomas B. Modly has announced that he is commissioning a Task Force to conduct a six-month study to reimagine the future of the aircraft carrier and carrier-based naval aviation.

“The long-term challenges facing our nation and the world demand clear-eyed assessments and hard choices,” said Modly.

“Because we have four new Ford carriers under contract, we have some time to reimagine what comes next. Any assessment we do must consider cost, survivability, and the critical national requirement to sustain an industrial base that can produce the ships we need—ships that will contribute to a superior, integrated naval force for the 2030s and far beyond. Aircraft carrier construction sustains nearly 60,000 skilled jobs in over 46 states. It can’t be simply turned on and off like a faucet. We must be thoughtful in how we approach changes as they will have lasting impacts on our national industrial competitiveness and employment.”

“Our future strength will be determined as much by the gray matter we apply to our challenges as the gray hulls we build,” added Modly. “We need the best minds from both inside and outside of government focused on this issue.”

According to a US Navy release:

“The goal at the end of the study is to provide a report to the secretary of the Navy detailing a vision of the competitive global security environment and the role of carrier-based naval aviation in that future context. Considerations will include expected principles of deterrence, global presence missions, protection of American economic security, as well as potential combat with possible adversaries.

The study will also define likely constraints of means in terms of future defense budgets, as well as avenue to contemplate future possible technologies not yet invented that could change the stakes of carrier-based naval aviation in all phases of global competition.

Finally, the report will provide options for the Department of the Navy in requirements for different various future aircraft (manned and unmanned, nuclear and/or conventional) carriers, to be used in future months and years in developing guidance to industry. The study will also examine how best to utilize and evolve the existing carrier fleet, including the more flexible and adaptable Ford Class, to meet the challenges of advanced long-range weapons that will extend and expand contested areas in the future.”

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/us-navy ... GNJ9IpDR7Q

Also:

UK Defence Journal
The US Navy accepted delivery of the future USS Tripoli, the newest aircraft focussed America class amphibious assault ship, from Huntington Ingalls Industries.
Amphibious assault ships project power and maintain presence by serving as the cornerstone of the amphibious ready group or expeditionary strike group.
See:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/us-navy ... wjTU5B22oM
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Re: USN in General

Unread post by Pelican »

The Almost Carrier, USS America, Steams Toward South China Sea

"the USS America and the guided-missile destroyer USS Bunker Hill are being deployed to intercept a Chinese government survey ship and several Chinese Coast Guard vessels in a contested stretch of the South China Sea near Malaysia. US officials have accused China of taking advantage of the distraction posed by the coronavirus outbreak to increase its maritime presence in the region. The deployment of the USS America Expeditionary Strike Group is intended as a show of force."

See - http://www.oldsaltblog.com/2020/04/the- ... more-54899 - for full article and links.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Apols for posting this here but cannot find which class USS Triton belonged to? Worth remembering tho?

60 Years Ago, USS Triton Circumnavigated the Globe Submerged

In February 1960, the USS Triton set out on a most unusual shakedown cruise. The nuclear-powered radar picket submarine sailed from New London, CT, and returned in May, having circumnavigated the world submerged, becoming the first submarine in history to do so.

In an overall voyage of 84 days, the circumnavigation itself, starting at and returning to St. Peter and Paul Rocks, took 60 days and 21 hours, traveling 26,723 nautical miles at an average speed of 18 knots. USS Triton’s course retraced Ferdinand Magellan’s historic first circumnavigation.

The Triton was commanded by Captain Edward Beach, the decorated World War II submarine commander and best selling novelist.

The project was originally dubbed Project Magellan but finally code-named Project Sandblast on the basis that it would “take a lot of sand” on the crew’s part to be successful. “Sand” was also Captain Beach’s code name during the voyage.

On May 13, 1960 the New York Times wrote: The first underwater circumnavigation of the globe is a triumph of human prowess and engineering skill, a feat which the United States Navy can rank as one of its bright victories in man’s ultimate conquest of the seas.

Most of the official celebrations for Triton’s submerged circumnavigation were canceled, however, due to the uproar over the shooting down of a US U-2 spy plane by the Soviets, which sparked a major Soviet-American diplomatic crisis that led to the collapse of the 1960 Paris Summit.

Here is a short documentary from 1961 of the circumnavigation of the USS Triton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peI2f3c ... e=youtu.be
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Safeguard Class Salvage Ship USNS Salvor pictured on arrival at Yokosuka, April 29th 2020.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

The U$N revealed its FFG winner; northern Wisconsin's Fincantari yard is HAPPY tonight!! ;) But a 57mm popgun for the main/only gun????????? :( DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Virginia Class Fast-Attack Submarine USS Missouri pictured as she departs Pearl Harbor to begin sea trials on May 10th 2020.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Please see - http://www.oldsaltblog.com/2020/06/affi ... more-55259

The attached came from another source.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Refuses to Reinstate Captain Crozier, Despite Earlier Recommendation

The US government has now reversed the recommendation made by high ranking Navy officials that Capt. Brett Crozier, commander of the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, be reinstated.
See:
http://www.oldsaltblog.com/2020/06/navy ... more-55383
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

What A Waste! The U.S. Navy Just Blew Up A Very Useful Old Warship

On Aug. 17, 23 warships from 10 countries gathered off the coast of Hawaii for the U.S. Navy’s biennial Rim of the Pacific war game. The two-week exercise came to a dramatic conclusion on Sunday with the explosive sinking of an old Navy cargo ship.
A very useful old Navy cargo ship. So useful that it was a shame to watch her sink.
As RIMPAC came to a close, the allied fleet surrounded the Charleston-class amphibious cargo ship Durham. The fleet pummeled the 575-foot-long Durham with five missiles—three Harpoons, an Exocet and a Hellfire missile—plus cannon rounds.
Continues, including video, at:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2 ... 207b346aac

[Link from Tim]
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

Here, on USNI site, is a thoughtful lil article re: USN over 25+ years..........not good.

https://blog.usni.org/posts/2020/09/02/ ... ap-forward

BUTT....we do have the MIGHTY, TRANNY-4-may-shunnell, PO$ LC$s!! :o As for accountability....what is that??? :shock: IMO it seems to be COMPLETELY lacking in the upper ranks that wear stars, Congre$$, and the White House for a long, LONG time. DFO
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “United States Navy”