USN in General

Add your posts about the US Navy in this section
Pelican

Re: USN in General

Unread post by Pelican »

VIDEO: First New Navy Hovercrafts Deliver to Fleet Unit After Delays, Cost Increases

JOINT EXPEDITIONARY BASE LITTLE CREEK – FORT STORY, Va. – Two Navy hovercrafts glinted silver in the low Friday sun as they cut across the Chesapeake Bay, blasting a wake of mist 25 feet high as they headed to their new home.

Landing Craft Air Cushion 101 and 102 left the well deck of USS Carter Hall (LSD-50) to join the older LCACs of Assault Craft Unit 4. LCAC 101 and 102 are part of the Navy’s Ship to Shore and enter a testing regime before the new Textron-built craft join the Navy’s amphibious fleets.

“The real focus now for these craft and to deliver here to ACU 4 is to put them in the operator’s hands and allow those to be testing and training assets for their folks, getting sailors trained on how to operate these craft. And as we start bringing more craft they want to have the crews ready to go, so it’s a little bit of a handoff back and forth,” Capt. Scott Searles, the program manager for PMS 317 that oversees the amphibious assault ships and connector programs, said on Friday.

The two hovercraft arrived three years later than scheduled due to a string of developmental delays and cost overruns for the hovercraft program.

Continues at - https://news.usni.org/2022/02/14/video- ... zFgdFtE1BI

[What goes round comes round - eventually.]
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

F-35C ‘Super Squadrons’ Of Up To 20 Aircraft Could Populate Future Carrier Decks

After steadily reducing planned F-35C squadron sizes the Navy wants to go the opposite direction now that the type's first operational cruise is over.

See - https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4 ... iASW1tVwWw
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Gibbs & Cox wins $30 milllion contract for future DDG(X) destroyer
Naval News February 2022 Navy Forces Maritime Defense Industry
POSTED ON MONDAY, 21 FEBRUARY 2022 16:38

According to information published by the U.S. DoD on February 21, 2022, Gibbs & Cox Inc is awarded a $29,561,327 contract for supporting surface combatant ship design and engineering efforts for the Navy’s Future Surface Combatant Force, primarily in support of the DDG(X) program.

See - http://navyrecognition.com/index.php/na ... vvTGL7aylI
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

John Lewis Class, Underway Replenishment Oiler, the future USNS Harvey Milk pictured fitting out at San Diego.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

USS Pasadena & USS Illinois surfaced for ICEX2022 in Beaufort Sea.

This biennial exercise allows navies to assess operational readiness, increase submarine operating experience and gain understanding of the Arctic environment. (RN personnel participating)
See - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 3971821572
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Lightning Aircraft Carrier – Loaded With F-35B Stealth Fighters, US To Test An Innovative Concept To Boost Its Naval Firepower

Three squadrons of US Marine Corps F-35Bs will assemble aboard the USS Tripoli (LHA-7) in early April to thoroughly evaluate the ‘Lightning Carrier’ concept.

The ‘Lighting Carrier’ concept was first presented by the US Marine Corps (USMC) in their 2017 Marine Aviation Plan. Under this, the USMC aims to deploy 16-20 F-35B fighter jets to its amphibious assault ships, turning them into ‘Lightning Carriers’ (CV-L).

Incapable Against J-20 Fighters – US Air Force Says ‘Not Ready For 21st-Century Battle’ With China Due To Outdated AWACS
The ‘Lightning Carrier’ idea has evolved from the classic “Harrier Carrier” concept which saw amphibious assault ships being utilized to carry AV-8B Harrier jump aircraft.

In the upcoming test, a total of 20 F-35Bs will conduct sustained operations, followed by surge operations from the USS Tripoli, The War Zone reported. The activity will evaluate the Marines’ ability to operate two entire F-35B squadrons from a single ship at the same time.

Given how critical it is to the service’s long-term strategy, it might have a significant impact on what the stealthy planes can contribute to the war in the future.

Continues at - https://eurasiantimes.com/lightning-car ... a-concept/

[Link from Tim.]
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Clear to Decommission 5 Cruisers, Unclear Which Ships Will Leave the Fleet

See - https://news.usni.org/2022/03/23/navy-c ... 6b-1i-6eKs
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

US Navy wants to cut nine LCSs, eliminate their anti-submarine mission

This article has been updated to include additional information from Naval Surface Forces.

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Navy wants to decommission nine of its Freedom-variant littoral combat ships and eliminate the anti-submarine warfare mission for the ships, citing a trade-off between the cost of the ships and equipment versus the warfighting capability they’d actually deliver.

This move comes amid rumors the Navy might try to decommission the entire Freedom class, which requires a fix to the combining gear to address a variant-wide defect. If Congress allowed the Navy to decommission these nine ships, only six would remain in the class, none of which have yet entered the fleet, as they remain in various stages of construction or post-delivery activities.

Continues at - https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2022/ ... e-mission/

Link from Tim.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

All Freedom Littoral Combat Ships in Commission Tapped for Early Disposal

THE PENTAGON – The nine Freedom-class Littoral Combat Ships currently in Navy service – the youngest of which commissioned in 2020 – have been marked for disposal as part of the Department of Defense’s Fiscal Year 2023 budget proposal, USNI News has learned.

The ships – USS Fort Worth (LCS-3), USS Milwaukee (LCS-5), USS Detroit (LCS-7), USS Little Rock (LCS-9), USS Sioux City (LCS-11), USS Wichita (LCS-13), USS Billings (LCS-15) and USS St. Louis (LCS-19) – are part of the 24 ships the service has chosen to decommission in FY 2023 for an estimated $3.6 billion in savings.

In the Navy’s last plan for the Littoral Combat Ship program, the Freedom-class ships had been tapped to shoulder the anti-submarine warfare role with the LCS ASW mission package. The key component was a towed variable depth low-frequency active sonar that the Navy doesn’t have in the fleet. The promise behind the VDS was to give the Navy more tools to find the more sophisticated Russian submarines that have been entering service in the last several years.

See:
https://news.usni.org/2022/03/29/all-fr ... DkZb_WYhxU
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

More Than a Decade of Women Serving on US Navy Submarines

On the last day of Women’s History Month, it is worthwhile celebrating more than a decade of women’s service on US Navy submarines. In 2010, Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates lifted the ban on females serving aboard US submarines. A year later, the first female officers began reporting for duty on Ohio-class ballistic missile submarines.

The United States was not the first nation to allow female submariners. Indeed, the US was at least the sixth country to allow women to serve in the Silent Service. Norway was the first in 1985, followed by Denmark in 1988 and Sweden in 1989. Australia followed suit in 1999 while Germany and Canada allowed women onboard in 2001 and 2002 respectively.

Continues at - http://www.oldsaltblog.com/2022/03/more ... more-58848
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “United States Navy”