USN in General

Add your posts about the US Navy in this section
Pelican

Re: USN in General

Unread post by Pelican »

A Slavish Devotion to Forward Presence Has Nearly Broken the U.S. Navy

The forward presence mission is taking a toll on the fleet and the force.

By The Honorable Robert O. Work
[The Honorable Robert O. Work was the 32nd Deputy Secretary of Defense from 2014 to 2017. Prior to that, he served as the Under Secretary of the Navy. He is a retired Marine Corps colonel and currently is the chair of the U.S. Naval Institute’s board of directors.]

See - https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedi ... goBgzIoNk8
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

How a 221-year-old shipyard is leading a US Navy modernization effort

When first U.S. Navy Secretary Benjamin Stoddert established the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in 1800 on a cluster of islands in the Piscataqua River, the Navy had purchased its first six frigates and wanted its own shipyard to construct wooden-hulled, sail-powered ships.

The work has changed dramatically since then — from building steel ships to building conventional submarines to maintaining nuclear-powered submarines — but the yard’s layout has only become less optimal.

Continues at - https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2021/ ... XhuQDS6Dlg
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Navy is rusting away thanks to a crushing deployment cycle

'Rust is found on ships that have high op tempo.'

Task & Purpose photo composite showing photos of the USS Arleigh Burke (top left) by Yörük Işık; USS Fort McHenry, by Leo van Ginderen (top right); USS James E Williams, by Steven Smith (lower left); and USS Zumwalt by @cjr1321 (lower right).

For decades, the Navy has pushed its ships and sailors to the breaking point in order to maintain a constant presence around the world, and now several Navy vessels are in such dire need of maintenance that their unseaworthy appearance is an embarrassment to the United States.

The Navy spends billions of dollars a year fighting corrosion; yet ship watchers have posted images for years of Navy vessels covered in running rust, including the destroyers USS Curtis Wilbur and USS James E. Williams as well as the dock landing ship USS Fort McHenry.

Continues at - https://taskandpurpose.com/analysis/nav ... 5Od6kXUzfE
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

U.S. Navy test drone on aircraft carrier

The U.S. Navy has successfully manoeuvred a drone on a U.S. Navy aircraft carrier for the first time – an early step forward in ensuring the MQ-25 uncrewed aerial refueller will integrate into carrier operations.

According to a U.S. Navy news release:
See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/u-s-nav ... 9-4hOKbYZY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

THE UNPLANNED COSTS OF AN UNMANNED FLEET

Two subjects are nearly inescapable in commentary about the U.S. Navy today. The first is the much-maligned, 15-year saga of the littoral combat ship (LCS), which has provided an unfortunate case study for interest group capture, misalignment of ends and means, cost overruns, and engineering failures.

The second subject is more hopeful: proposals for unmanned surface vessels that will deliver cost savings and increase the size of the fleet. As China leap-frogs the United States in raw numbers of ships built and deployed, this subject has acquired great urgency. It includes concepts such as human-machine teaming and autonomous swarming as proposed cost-effective solutions to the numerical asymmetry at sea.

Continues at - https://warontherocks.com/2021/12/the-u ... ned-fleet/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pentagon’s Ghost Fleet Program Ends, Its Four Unmanned Ships Will Be Transferred To The Navy

The ships are slated to join the Navy's experimental surface warfare squadron which is exploring ways to incorporate unmanned vessels into the fleet.

The U.S. Navy will take possession of four unmanned surface vessels, or USVs, developed by the Pentagon’s Strategic Capabilities Office (SCO) as part of its Ghost Fleet Overlord program. The transfer marks a milestone in the Navy’s continuing push for a fleet that incorporates a significant number of unmanned vessels and vehicles alongside its existing manned platforms. After the transfer of the four unmanned ships, along with all their underlying hardware and software, to the Navy’s experimental Surface Warfare Development Squadron, the SCO will now shut down its Ghost Fleet Overlord program.

Continues at - https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4 ... ciOWtOQB_M
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

US Navy reveals future DDG(X) destroyer design at SNA 2022

Naval News January 2022 Navy Forces Maritime Defense Industry
According to a tweet published by Louis Cheung on January 13, 2021, a design of the future DDG(X) destroyer was presented at the Surface Navy Association (SNA) 2022.

The DDG(X) program, also known as the Next-Generation Guided-Missile Destroyer program, is a United States Navy program to develop a replacement vessel for its 22 Ticonderoga-class cruisers and older Flights of the Arleigh Burke-class destroyer.

The DDG(X) will use integrated electric propulsion (IEP) as employed on the Zumwalt-class, with 50% greater range, 120% greater time on station, and 25% reduction in fuel burn compared to current U.S. Navy destroyers.

The sensors will initially be enlarged variants of the AN/SPY-6 radar mounted on the Flight III Arleigh Burke-class destroyers. The hull is designed with provisions for upgraded sensors in the future, including larger radar arrays.

The vessels will be initially fitted with 32-cell blocks of the Mk. 41 VLS. In lieu of the Mk. 41, the ships can also accept a 12-cell block of larger launchers for hypersonic missiles. Upgraded versions of the class may also incorporate directed energy weapons, with lasers ranging from 150—600 kW.

See also - https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4 ... 0gpCC-83hg
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

VIDEO: 2 U.S. Carrier Groups, 2 Amphibious Ready Groups Drill with F-35s, Japanese Ships in the Philippine Sea

See - https://news.usni.org/2022/01/23/2-u-s- ... GckX7f70pY
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

US Navy wants to get crashed stealth fighter back -- before China can

The United States Navy is trying to retrieve its most advanced fighter jet from the depths of the South China Sea, an extremely complex operation that analysts say will be closely monitored by Beijing.

The F-35C, a single-engine stealth fighter and the newest jet in the US Navy fleet, crash-landed on the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson during routine operations on Monday, the Navy said.
The $100 million warplane impacted the flight deck of the 100,000-ton aircraft carrier and then fell into the sea as its pilot ejected, Navy officials said. The pilot and six sailors aboard the Vinson were injured.

See - https://edition.cnn.com/2022/01/25/asia ... index.html
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

glub GLUB.....a non floating sub........ :o DFO
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “United States Navy”