Marine Engineering

Post anything about Marine Engineering on this thread
Little h

Marine Engineering

Unread post by Little h »

HMS Albion
@hms_albion
28 Jan

A team of talented Marine Engineers led by CPO Dugdale have worked throughout the night to rectify a push rod defect with our Forward Main Diesel Generator. BZ to PO Miller, PO Jary, LET Ming, PLET Spencer and PLET Rutley @CaptJohnVoyce
@RNJobsUK #teamwork #Apprenticeship

Screenshot of the four images associated with the opening tweet (above)
Screenshot (6499).png
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The tweeted replies make for equally interesting reading/browsing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Little h

Re: Marine Engineering

Unread post by Little h »

As the tweet says not Marine Engineers ... but nontheless totally valid tweet IMO

HMS Albion
@hms_albion
10h
It’s not only the Marine Engineers who work with engines. The @RoyalMarines
vehicle mechanics have completed an overhaul of the Beach Recovery Vehicle’s engine #Apprenticeship #Engineering
Little h
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

One of the most difficult tasks I had was in Troubridge. One holding down bolt for a Turbo-generator had sheared ,causing vibration. The space under the generator was very restricted. I made up a contraption using a stud bar, nuts & short drill bit. By turning the nut in small steps & hand turning the drill bit I was able to drill a hole deep enough to take an "easy out" to remove the broken holding down bolt & replace it. It was a long tiring job but satisfying when completed. I understand that the training of hand crafting ie fitting is not taught anymore in the RN. Maybe the situation described above is not expected to happen anymore.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

I don't think they are trained to deal with "sods law" now Keith.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

Does anyone remember "Belzona" a plastic metal that had the ability to always return to it's original shape when heated. It was regarded at the time,70's, as a new useful material. What happened? In the MN we had another metallic plastic called "Devcon". Have these materials been superceeded ?
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

I have heard of but never used Devcon Keith , but have used quite a few Resin 2 part putties that have proved indispensable and VERY useful in situations which proved challenging , and where I needed to bond metal to plastic , metal to metal , and glass to metal , all of which were tried underwater and cured within 1 hour .

They could be sawn screwed , filed , taped , drilled , once cured and to date they have never let me down :)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

I believe the WW2 Ark Royal was lost because they could not raise steam to power pumps, they needed another source of power. The numerous Emergency Class Destroyers built during the war also lacked a Diesel Generator. When the Type 15 conversion took place a Diesel Generator was fitted. It was sited on top of the starboard fresh water tank in the forward boiler room. The fitting of a DG enabled the ship to shut down it's boilers when a shore supply was unavailable, necessary, also in emergences. The Battle Class Destroyers were fitted with a DG on build, it was sited in the Gearing Room. I am sure today, they have adequate electrical supplies at all times.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Yes Keith it beggars belief that it was not supplemented earlier , as to my certain knowledge they were around in WW11 aircraft albeit on a smaller scale and petrol driven , but the USN had them as standard kit I believe ?
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

My memory is playing tricks, will someone please remind me about the ME throttles arrangement. I looked at the attached photo & couldn't remember whether the smaller of the two throttle wheels was the Ahead or Astern throttle
St. James engine-room.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS SULTAN SENDS SPECIAL MESSAGE FOR RN ENGINEERING BRANCH BIRTHDAY

Engineers at HMS Sultan came together recently in order to send out a special birthday message for the 183rd birthday of the Royal Navy Engineering Branch on 19th July.
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... h-birthday
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Stokers Thread”