Marine Engineering

Post anything about Marine Engineering on this thread
Little h

Re: Marine Engineering

Unread post by Little h »

oldsalt wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:34 pm Would someone please put my mind to rest by answering my query re. ME throttles. Is the small wheel ahead or astern?

I would if I could Keith but well outside my part of ship knowledge I'm afraid.

I thought some kind of info might be available from HMS Belfast but all I've come up with just seems to be of no assistance whatsoever, see:-

geograph-4214237-by-Chris-Allen.jpg

HMS Belfast - forward engine room throttles
These are the main controls for the port outer engine that developed 20,000 horsepower. The three horizontal wheels are the throttles that let steam into the various turbines. The black wheel on the right is the main forward throttle. The red wheel in the middle is the astern throttle. The black wheel on the left is the cruising turbine throttle. The cruising turbine generates a lower power at higher efficiency for cruising at a lower speed than is required for going into battle. A set of black rods interlock the ahead and cruising throttles so that the two can't be opened at the same time.

HMS Belfast is a very special ship and is well worth a visit while much of the vessel is accessible to visitors

Source; geograph.org.uk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

oldsalt wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:34 pm Would someone please put my mind to rest by answering my query re. ME throttles. Is the small wheel ahead or astern?
What class of ship are you referringt to Oldsalt? I'm in touch with a few stokers so can enquire.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

The ship I am enquiring about is a Battle Class Destroyer, if I remember correctly the throttle arrangement was the same as the Emergency Class Destroyers, including those converted to Type 15's. Those shown from Belfast was the arrangement for those ships larger than Destroyers. I have spent countless hours operating throttles in all types of warships, that's why it's driving me nuts trying to remember, it's getting on for nearly 60 years since I was in an Engine Room with steam turbines.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

oldsalt wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:03 pm The ship I am enquiring about is a Battle Class Destroyer, if I remember correctly the throttle arrangement was the same as the Emergency Class Destroyers, including those converted to Type 15's. Those shown from Belfast was the arrangement for those ships larger than Destroyers. I have spent countless hours operating throttles in all types of warships, that's why it's driving me nuts trying to remember, it's getting on for nearly 60 years since I was in an Engine Room with steam turbines.
The question has been asked OS.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Hello OS some answers for Ganges Pokers:

Jim Dales Astern and the one extra was the cruising throttle.
Brian Dugdale Definitely the small one was astern. I served on emergency class destroyers and type 15s which were exactly the same. I remember them well after many many watches in the engine room. I left the Andrew in 67 as a stoker PO.
Bill Simpson Small one!!
Bernard Foster The astern part of the turbine was a single Curtiss Wheel.
Gordon Palframan I may be wrong but the large throttle wheel was for major steaming and the small wheel was used for cruising again I may be wrong but it’s a long time ago 1958 Trafalgar.

Have they answered your question?
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

I think my query has been answered. I remember the small throttle wheel that's in a fore & aft position was for controlling the cruising nozzles on the HP turbine. The smaller of the two wheels is Astern,usually painted red as in previous photos, the larger of the two being the ahead throttle. We in destroyers were always trying to persuade the dockyard to chrome plate the throttle wheels, the lack of red paint in the Battle class picture could be the cause my memory loss.Thanks for the memory jog.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

oldsalt wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:11 pm I think my query has been answered. I remember the small throttle wheel that's in a fore & aft position was for controlling the cruising nozzles on the HP turbine. The smaller of the two wheels is Astern,usually painted red as in previous photos, the larger of the two being the ahead throttle. We in destroyers were always trying to persuade the dockyard to chrome plate the throttle wheels, the lack of red paint in the Battle class picture could be the cause my memory loss.Thanks for the memory jog.
Oh no - not another red wheel! :roll: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

Brilliant, where do you get it from?
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

oldsalt wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:40 am Brilliant, where do you get it from?
Remembered it [for a change!] from an old post elsewhere.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Huh .......tell me about it David ...... :roll:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Stokers Thread”