Marine Engineering

Post anything about Marine Engineering on this thread
Pelican

Re: Marine Engineering

Unread post by Pelican »

For members of the Red Wheel Spotters Club

No idea what ship or sub this was taken in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well as an honorary Stoker , I can confidently say its a Submarine , but which one ....well there you've got me David I will have to bow to those with greater knowledge :oops:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

"MAKE SMOKE"

HMS Tamar is the newest and also the ‘greenest’ surface ship in the RN as the first vessel to conform to new MARPOL emissions regulations. Her diesel exhausts are fitted with catalytic converters which reduce nitrogen-based emissions by up to 95%. All subsequent warships, including HMS Spey, the Type 26 and Type 31 frigates will be designed to meet this new standard.

Fat chance in future. Even Smokey Joe is undergoing a large refit at present.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

ivorthediver wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:08 pm Well as an honorary Stoker , I can confidently say its a Submarine , but which one ....well there you've got me David I will have to bow to those with greater knowledge :oops:
Well David ....what was it :idea:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

I have memories of techniques we used in days gone by ,which I now find incredible. eg before Engineers Blue , a paste for marking flat surfaces, we used red lead powder mixed into a paste with oil. We made a lot of items for our tool boxes, packing tools for Dewrance cocks, a pair of dividers with a sharp edge for cutting out asbestos joints. The wheel spanner I guarded & used for years, I made when I was on the Mechanicians course. I am yearsout of date now but do the present ER technicians do things like that. How much maintenance is carried out onboard these days, do they still have planned maintenance schedules. Non of the the present TV documentaries seem to mention the ER & its personnel.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

I would like to think that they have retained the required skills to maintain/replace defective items of machinery. Engineers have always been required to implement their skills, even using "bush" skills when required.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

oldsalt wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:33 pm I have memories of techniques we used in days gone by ,which I now find incredible. eg before Engineers Blue , a paste for marking flat surfaces, we used red lead powder mixed into a paste with oil. We made a lot of items for our tool boxes, packing tools for Dewrance cocks, a pair of dividers with a sharp edge for cutting out asbestos joints. The wheel spanner I guarded & used for years, I made when I was on the Mechanicians course. I am yearsout of date now but do the present ER technicians do things like that. How much maintenance is carried out onboard these days, do they still have planned maintenance schedules. Non of the the present TV documentaries seem to mention the ER & its personnel.
Wheel spanners - Modern M.E.'s seem to purchase chromed ones for weddings and hold them up in arch formation when the happy pair exit the church.
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

Just a little reminisce, Boiler Room air locks & the extravagant language used when a dab toe hanging up his dhobying got it wrong. I think we used a manometer to show the boiler room air pressur, calibrated in water guage, i think under economic steaming the air pressure in the BR was about 4". In the Wrangler we hit some roughers & the outboard inlets for the forced draught fans on the iron deck had not been closed. A goffer came inboard down the fan inlet sprayed across the boiler room, the cold salt water hitting the fuel pump stopped it dead, the boiler shutting down. Fortunately A boiler was connected so it wasn't a complete disaster. They don't have those troubles today! :shock: :o
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

oldsalt wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:40 pm Just a little reminisce, Boiler Room air locks & the extravagant language used when a dab toe hanging up his dhobying got it wrong. I think we used a manometer to show the boiler room air pressur, calibrated in water guage, i think under economic steaming the air pressure in the BR was about 4". In the Wrangler we hit some roughers & the outboard inlets for the forced draught fans on the iron deck had not been closed. A goffer came inboard down the fan inlet sprayed across the boiler room, the cold salt water hitting the fuel pump stopped it dead, the boiler shutting down. Fortunately A boiler was connected so it wasn't a complete disaster. They don't have those troubles today! :shock: :o
Another part of ship:
We, 1st D.F., were on our way to Gulf for the Abadan do, 'Killer' Mike Townsend having volunteer'd us.
Going down the canal at speed [we got a hefty fine for that] most of us were up on deck sightseeing having forgotten to take the wind scoops in. Tea was rather late that night and the mess ponged for a while.
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

Just been to my home City, Sheffield, for possibly the last time. While there I visited The Kelham Museum which containes a steam reciprocating engine, still being worked with steam. The engine had three equal diameter pistons, weighed 400 Tons , developing 12000 HP. Although it was an impressive sight, especially when running it was a baby compared to Ranpura's engines, my old ship in 1953. The photo is from the museums guide.

Image_20210723_0001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Stokers Thread”