Marine Engineering

Post anything about Marine Engineering on this thread
ivorthediver

Re: Marine Engineering

Unread post by ivorthediver »

come on now Keith , they dont get so many visitors that you will be band from going again ......young slip of a lad like you ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

Banned ? Who me! I think I should change my religion to Muslim, then if I can't go to Sheffield again it can come to me. Sorry is that unwoke. :shock: :shock:
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

CHIEF OF ALL THE POKERS

HMS Argyll
Chief of all Stokers, CMEM(M) Sharkey Ward marks 5000 days at sea! That's 13.7 years sea service in a career that started in 1977!...and saw active service in the Falklands. Still going strong, BZ Shipmate for over 40 years faithful duty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS ARK ROYAL RO7 Marine Engineering Branch - FACEBOOK GROUP

See - https://www.facebook.com/groups/4514349 ... on/preview
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

Pelican, what year was the photo taken & where?
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

oldsalt wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:43 pm Pelican, what year was the photo taken & where?
Sorry O.S. I've no idea, its the header on their Facebook Group which is a closed group so I can't ask.
Suppose best bet would be her commissioning books.

Or join the Group of course. :roll:
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Has anyone read this book?

If so opinions please.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

First I've seen of it David ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Rolls Royce presents to Indian Navy its integrated full electric propulsion system

As part of the UK’s upcoming Carrier Strike Group tour, Rolls-Royce is all set to showcase to Indian Navy customers its capabilities to design, build and deliver customised power and propulsion solutions for India’s naval modernisation requirements. The company also expressed its keenness to explore opportunities for partnering the Navy with end-to-end solutions for electrification of India’s future warships.

Rolls-Royce is the only manufacturer in the world that has provided navalised marine gas turbine generators into front-line integrated full electric propulsion (IFEP) powered destroyers and aircraft carriers. Being a key member of the Power and Propulsion Sub-Alliance, Rolls-Royce was responsible for the design, procurement, manufacture, integration, test and delivery of the Queen Elizabeth Carrier ships’ power and propulsion system, which includes the mighty MT30 marine gas turbine and a low voltage electrical distribution system.

The Royal Navy’s new Queen Elizabeth Class (QEC) aircraft carriers operate an IFEP system that is one of the most advanced propulsion systems offering increased power, flexibility and reliability – best suited for large warships. It provides two MT30 marine gas turbine alternators per ship, rated at 36MW, with the power to propel these vessels beyond 25knots.

The MT30 alone delivers huge design benefits through its power density, significantly reducing the number of gas turbines required to power advanced naval platforms. The MT30 also guarantees its power throughout the 50-year service life expectancy of the ship. The QEC also feature a complete Rolls-Royce low voltage (LV) electrical distribution system that distributes enough electricity to power the equivalent of 5,000 family homes.

As electrical power system integrators, Rolls-Royce provides solutions for both hybrid and all-electric naval vessels, optimising performance to satisfy electrical load demands of the future such as advanced sensor, propulsion and combat systems. It is also an experienced provider of low voltage (LV) electrical power distribution systems for a range of warship and submarine applications.

HMS Queen Elizabeth is the lead ship of the Queen Elizabeth class of aircraft carriers and the Fleet Flagship of the Royal Navy. Capable of carrying 60 aircraft including fixed wing, rotary wing and autonomous vehicles, she is named in honour of the first HMS Queen Elizabeth, a World War I era super-dreadnought, which in turn was named after Queen Elizabeth I.

Source, which contains further links - https://www.navyrecognition.com/index.p ... ZhKD1RqXN0

The Rolls-Royce MT30 gas turbine enclosure, shrink wrapped for protection, arrives alongside HMS Queen Elizabeth, prior to installation at Babcock’s Rosyth yard in Scotland. (Picture source: Rolls Royce)
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

When I was in Defiance , Devonport, just before leaving the RN I was tasked, with others, in the planning of refit by replacement gas turbine engines. We were dealing with much smaller vessels than the present air craft carriers. I know I am going back nearly 50 years but does the same policy apply to the carriers & how complex is the route for removal & replacement, how long does the process take? Any answers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Stokers Thread”