The Holocaust - Auschwitz

Honour our War Dead here and post your photos of your local Remembrance Day events
greendragon

The Holocaust - Auschwitz

Unread post by greendragon »

Today's anniversary of liberization of the death camp in Aushwitz brings to my my memory a British link.
In 1993 ( if memory serves me well) we were at a PL Army UN Peacekeeping training centre before being deployed to former Yugoslawia to serve with UNPROFOR mission.
Some 500 troops, half of the PL contingent of 1100 officers and men to be rotated.
We were told the Brits are going to join us during the final exercise with their troops from the Devon and Dorsets Rgt (Bn?).
The D&D were at Arnhem, attempted crossing the river, lost terribly many, they actually fought together with the Polish from the 1st Ab Independent Bde.

Probably first common exercise since WW2 just after we get rid off the Warsaw Pact.
They arrived, some 50-80 (do not remember well) soldiers under command of a Major, we had a good exercise, got some lessons of NATO paper work (OPORDs etc) of which we had rather limited (means "O") knowledge.
In an off duty day the "lads" mounted the busses (in good mood and sort of noisy way) and for their own request had a tour to see Auschwitz.
Should be noted that in those times worw civilian sort of suit trousers, shirts, polished shoes; no worn&torn jeans or T-shirts.

Returned afternoon and I happened to see them leaving the buses.
They all looked like sick, no words was said, just went to their barrack building .
The RSM (Regimental Sgt Major) an older age NCO was still nearby and I said something that lads looked like got tired.
He said they were not tired. That was what happened to them when they saw Aushwitz concentration camp.
I still remember his words: " You know Sir, I have known all these boys for long time; they are absolutely bags of fun . It was the first time that I saw them in the bus sitting numb, silent, no word was said for the whole trip back".

Regards,

GD
jbryce1437

Re: The Holocaust - Auschwitz

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Many thanks for the post GD.
I have watched a couple of video clips today about the liberation of the concentration camps and one about Belsen, by one of our famous broadcasters - Richard Dimbleby, stands out in my mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP9BLKZENbc

I believe that the Pathe News reports about Auschwitz gives a better understanding of the scale and size of the camps:

Reel 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5FcqF_qu50

Reel 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T6EczuQS2I

Absolutely sickening to think that human beings could do this to each other :-(

JIm
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

I totally agree Jim , but alas we seem to have forgotten only to quickly the aftermath of this ..........My Son who was in Bomb Disposal had several tours out in Bosnia and had to witness the clearing out of the the camps of ethnic cleansing in Bosnia and he said that he could not believe how such mass slaughter of the population could be carried out to such a brutal and gruesome way to humans ......it changed him dramatically .......and he was a tough lad , but it took a long time for him to adjust to it :evil:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
jbryce1437

Re: Auschwitz

ivorthediver wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:45 am I totally agree Jim , but alas we seem to have forgotten only to quickly the aftermath of this ..........My Son who was in Bomb Disposal had several tours out in Bosnia and had to witness the clearing out of the the camps of ethnic cleansing in Bosnia and he said that he could not believe how such mass slaughter of the population could be carried out to such a brutal and gruesome way to humans ......it changed him dramatically .......and he was a tough lad , but it took a long time for him to adjust to it :evil:
Yes Ivor, it seems that we never learn and Rwanda, Bosnia and other conflicts come to mind. No doubt there were / are others that never made the headlines.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
Retired since 2002
jbryce1437

I didn't realise that prisoners of war were also housed at Auschwitz and that at least one Royal Navy sailor was killed there
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... morial-day

Jim
Retired since 2002
jbryce1437

Just a heads up to let you know that I have moved this thread from the Wardroom to a more appropriate section and tweaked the title

Jim
Retired since 2002
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Remembrance Thread”